Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

QSC1850/svt810e 'speakon' question.....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ahhhson, Jun 25, 2003.

1. Ahhhson

Ahhhson Guest

Jun 5, 2003
    ALBANY NY 518
    I have a question.....

Im planning on purchasing a sansamp RBi to accompany a qsc 1850hd power amp and run it through my ampeg 8x10.

I dont know much about "speakons" but I do know that I def. want to bridge mono to get maximum power and headroom.

My question is: Is a special input required on the cab to do this other than the standard quarter inch? ( Thats what the cab has). Im pretty sure you can get some kind of splitter for the amp ( for the two input bridge thing)...

Sorry if this is worded poorly, hopefuly something can help me out.

Im pretty set on this eqiupment, just trying to figure out how it is set up/making sure i can use the amps bridging option with the plain ole' svt810e

2. I run a Hartke 4.5XL with a QSC PLX1202. The Hartke only has 1/4" in. My speaker cord is a banana to 1/4. I plug into the 2 red binding posts of the amp. (after it is set to bridge). This works just fine for me. It is my understanding that with speakon you'll need a specific speakon connector, one that has #1 and #2 connectors plus grounds. The instructions are included in the QSC manual as to the connector model and how to wire it. I already had the banana to 1/4 made up so I didn't bother with speakons.

3. davelowell

davelowell

Jan 18, 2001
    stl, mo
    i just bought a speakon to 1/4 inch cable. works very well and only 20 bones.

dave

4. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    You don't need a special input on the cabinet--just the regular one.

You don't use two inputs on the amp, just channel 1's.

You don't need a special Speakon plug, just a regular 4-pole one, like an NL4FC (the most common kind); inside the Speakon plug, the wires have to be connected to pins 1+ and 2+ or else it won't work.

(P.S. I'm a native of Albany.)

5. Ahhhson

Ahhhson Guest

Jun 5, 2003
    ALBANY NY 518
    HEy Albany!

Sounds complicated....

Can I still bridge with just the spliced (bananna?) cable with two inputs into the amp and one going to the cab? ( in other workds avoid this Speakon thing.....?

6. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    What's with the two inputs to the amp? Just use one.

It's not complicated at all. A Speakon plug is easy to open and reconfigure. You can also use a dual banana plug on the red binding post outputs instead.

7. Ahhhson

Ahhhson Guest

Jun 5, 2003
    ALBANY NY 518
    If im not mistaken ( which i might be) theres two speaker inputs required to bridge ( 4 total on the QSC the two red inputs in the middle are to bridge

8. Bob Lee (QSC)

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Those are output terminals. Signal comes out of them; you don't put any signal into them. Connect the speaker cable to either the two red terminals or pins 1+ and 2+ of the upper Speakon output.

9. Ahhhson

Ahhhson Guest

Jun 5, 2003
    ALBANY NY 518
    sorry, sometimes i get the ins and outs mixed up