QSC2402 speakon cable

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by caesarbass, Mar 19, 2005.

1. I want to bridge my QSCplx2402 onto my 8ohm Avatar 212 cab. What kind of "speakon"cable do I need? I've read the manual and it looks like it's a plain old cable, but I'd like to be sure. :help:
  2. davepack

davepack Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2004
    Denver, CO
    You'll need to re-wire one end of the cable (the amp end). There's been other posts on this, do a search to find the details.
  3. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA

The above pic is directly from the PLX manual.

1. Using a 4-pole speakon connector, connect a suitable sized speaker wire (I suggest 12ga but use what you want) to poles +1 and +2. This end goes to the amp.

2. Connect whatever type of speaker plug to the other end of the cable your cab takes. If you are using a speakon to the cab you will want to connect the wires to poles +1 and -1. You MUST lable the ends so you plug the proper end to the amp and cab. They are not the same!

3. Plug in and play.

4. Sorry guys, I've looked at the manual and the pic's above...and it still makes no sense to me. I guess I'm not sure what I'm looking at. I bought a 3' speakon to speakon cable. I unscrewed the plastic piece that holds everything together, and I'm still stumped. I see two cables, a black (-) and a white (+) one. They're attached by kittle screws, do I unscrew them and reattch them?? I thought I was a little technical, but I guess I'm not. I apologize if this question seems simple to most of you. HELP!!!!!!
  5. Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    If you bought a speakon cable it probably is just a 2 pole one (most in the store are I think). Make sure you get a 4 pole Neutrik so you can wire it 1+, 2+

If yours doesn't have 4 pole speakons don't worry, you can use the same cable you just have to buy new speakon connectors but they are cheap
  6. Thanks for the help. I'm still confused, but I see the light at the end of the tunnel. My cable is only 2 pole, it only has 2 cables running through it, one black and one white. I think I'll return this one and buy the correct one. This is new territory for me. I'll run banana to 1/4" until I figure it out.
  7. sneaky pete

sneaky pete

Feb 10, 2002
    Yakima, WA
    Hang on there before you go. Speakons con in three flavors: 8 pole, 4 pole, and 2 pole. The number of conductors doesn't matter but the connector does. Most common are the 4 pole with only 2 leads attatched: 1+ and 1-.

How do you tell? If the connector has a grey ring that you pull back and twist to remove the connection that is a 2 pole (NL2FC). If there is a thumb tab that's pulled back to remove the plug then it's a 4 pole. (there are some older versions that you twist a blue ring then pull the plug that way called "twist locks", they have been phased out)

OK, hopefully you've found you have a 4 pole connector (look for the NL4FC or NL4FCX written somewhere on the end). Open it up and you'll see two wires leading into end, black and white. I wish I had a pic of one to post but bear with me, the set screws they are attached to both face the same direction. Orient them so they face up, away from you. Unscrew the one on the left (1-) and place it into the one directly below the remaining wire (marked 2+). Tighten the screw to make sure the wires don't come loose then reassemble the connector.

I hope that helps, speakons are a superior way to connect amps to speakers. I hope one day 1/4 connects will be gone but 1/4's are so cheap to manufacture. Oh well...
  8. Sneaky Pete...you're my hero!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I GOT IT!!!!!
    Thanks for the handholding, I guess I needed a step by step. What worries me is that everywhere I called said it would be OK to just use any old speakon cable. If I would have believed them I might have not gotten optimum use from my amp, even the store where I bought the amp told me to use any speakon.
  9. The next question for you QSC gurus. What preamp is most suited for running with a power amp? I know the Alembic's are a little weird, I think their output sensitivity is too much for some amp, so I've heard. I'm going to be looking at the Demeter, Avalon U5, BBE Maxx, Eden, Fender TBP-1.
  10. Lowtonejoe

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    I'm not a guru but I have had really excellent results with my Sansamp RBI.

I have also heard the solid state B-Max does a really good job also. I have read about a couple of people who returned the B-MaxT for the B-Max. They preferred the quicker response of the B-Max. YMMV.

11. Nice rig LowToneJoe. Is your RBI pretty clean? Is it pretty close to the BDDI? I'm really interested in the BBE SS, I heard there's a mod BBE does so that the input gain isn't so hot.
  12. Lowtonejoe

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    Yeah, it's as clean or dirty as you like by using the 'drive' control. And it is very tansparent when you have the 'blend' knob off. The 'blend' knob allows you to choose the amount of original signal to effected signal. I love the tone of my Thumb so I usually run the blend all the way to the left (off). The eq still works. Of course depending on what bass I use the blend knob may be at 3 o'clock.

And yes, it is very similar to the BDDI (I have both). BUT with the RBI you get a mid control.

I can't imagine the input gain on any preamp being too hot for the amp but I suppose it is possible. I have heard the opposite though, some preamps don't have enough output for the amp to take advantage of its available power.

13. davepack

davepack Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2004
    Denver, CO
    I got the same response, until I asked QSC directly. It's incredible how ill-informed some of the pro-audio sales people are...I knew they didn't put "1+ 2+ Bridged mono" on the back of the amp for sh*ts and giggles...
  14. I just got home from using my PLX2402 for the first time...I LOVE POWER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I really thought that my WT-800 was pushing some air. My Avatar 212 really had an awakening tonight. I still don't have a preamp but I used my Sadowsky DI pedals balanced out straight into the balanced in of the QSC, and what a tone and I can't believe how clean my cab sounded, I don't think I've ever exerienced and abundance of headroom until tonight. Next a preamp, I'm definitely checking out the RBI.
  15. Washishimi

Washishimi Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2005
    New York
    OK (sorry in advanced) just to clarify and double check:

Making my own Speakon to Speakon cable for bridged mode (PLX amp) and a 12gauge wire which has one black and one white wire in it:

+1........White Wire
    +2........Black Wire

+1........White Wire
    -1.........Black Wire
  16. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    You got it.
  17. simpy1

Mar 31, 2005
    New Zealand
    Ok so just to pull this post out of obsolescence - the purpose of the 4-pole speakon is just to use different poles from the amp?

So none of this ever involves a speaker cable consisting of 4 wires, is that correct?

Well I had everything messed up didn't I.
  18. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    That's correct, just as this thread states. Read the posts from Lowtonejoe, davepack, sneaky pete, and Schwinn.