1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

QSC2402PLX is rattling. Please help.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JonathanD, Jul 8, 2007.

1. JonathanD

JonathanD

Dec 13, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    My PLX2402 is rattling on top of the cab. I put it in a rack, put the rack on rubber feet and it still rattles. I'm not talking soft rattle. Its more audible than my playing when one side is pushing a full 700 watts.
    I took the cover off and didn't find anything loose or moving around.
    Any suggestions?
    Jonathan

2. This is actually fairly common. It happened with my 2402 as well. Bob Lee here on the forums helped me out by having me put some weather stripping in the amp to stop the fish paper component covering from rattling. Mine rattled especially when playing a low G for some reason.

The weather stripping really helped.

Do a search on 2402 + rattle and see what you get...you'll find several threads.

Jay

3. JonathanD

JonathanD

Dec 13, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    That is a poor design. I just took the cardboard out. The front end air flow is not noticably changed. I am going to run it hard today and let you know what happens. I doubt its going to overheat and if it does I will put it back.
    Jonathan

4. SoLongJake

SoLongJake Supporting Member

Jul 1, 2007
    Des Moines, Iowa
    i had a similar experience with a 3102, luckily i discovered the nasty buzz before my 30 days was up with guitar center.

5. jmain

jmain Oo, Uhn't uh, Yes! Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    I was looking at getting a used 2402. Are you guys saying this is a really common?

vicenzajay, it seems like you fixed it pretty easily, but I'm wondering if this is something that comes easy for you and maybe not so easy for me.:)

I don't want to inherit a problem amp.

6. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Mine doesn't but everything I've read suggests it's a very easy fix if yours does.

Alex

7. jmain

Apr 23, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    Cool. Thanks Alex. I'm two shakes away from pulling the trigger on one. If I get the rattle, I'll just give a shout here or to Bob.

8. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab HELIX user & BOSE Abuser

Feb 11, 2004
    Texas
    My 2402's don't rattle either...although one has a fan louder than the other.
    They're racked and sit near ACME B2's.

9. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Well the fish paper air flow channel isn't realy a great piece of design work but - it's a 5 minute fix and should be filed under not to worry. Certainly it's no reason not to puchase a 2402/3102. They represent real bargains on workhorse amps in the used world at the moment.

10. jmain

Apr 23, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    4mal,
    Definitely good to know. I need a big haus of an amp and really need a second also.

Sorry to derail JonathanD. Just got a little worried when I saw the topic.

11. I agree...I just picked up a used 1602 in great shape for only $320....my 2402 is going to get swapped into the PA rack for the subs, and I'm going to unload my massive 2700 watt lead sled and save 30 pound in my main rack.

Very cool - definitely do NOT let the rattle stop you from trying a PLX amp. They deliver.

Jay

12. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    That was not a good idea.

13. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    :D
    I thought the same thing as soon as I read this.

Bob, you had talked about this with me in the past. I still have never gotten around to opening mine up to take care of it, as it's not really a big problem, and the practice space we're in rattles anyway. But I may be doing it soon. Where does the weatherstripping need to go? Between the fishpaper and what?

14. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Whatever it's rattling against. If it rattles against the big reservoir capacitors, then keep it from rattling against them. If it rattles against the bottom cover, then keep it from rattling against the cover, etc.

15. Bryan316

Bryan316 Inactive

Dec 20, 2006
    Detroit

WHOAH! Waitaminnit hold on.... it's a poor design because YOU don't understand how/why something was designed? Since when were YOU an expert? Ain't that why you asked the question in this forum???

16. JonathanD

JonathanD

Dec 13, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Since someone told me to come back and do what I was told on this thread I thought I would say that none of the above suggestions took care of my problem. I took the paper all the way out(ripped it out), put weather stripping in between the fan box and everything around it and then sealed it back. Still very bad.

I thought maybe there was a screw in the bottom of it, but there is nothing loose.
    Jonathan

17. Dan1099

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    FWIW, it took me a minute to fix on my amp. Also, my amp kicks serious tail. It's been nothing but good to me as long as I've had it.

18. andertone

andertone Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Southwest USA
    Hi:

My PLX2402 also rattles, but I just got a thick piece
    of foam betweent my rack and Epi T212, and no
    problems. Probably better for the amp (and my Alembic F2B)
    anyway.

I've used this for 5 years now, suggest you do the same,
    great amps!!!!!

Phil Anderson

19. Warr Tapper

Warr Tapper Inactive

Sep 17, 2006
    Work
    Customers shouldn't have to open up their NEW equipment just because QSC fails to recognize this problem.

20. Dan1099

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    QSC doesn't fail to recognize the problem. They quite obviously DO recognize it. Fact of the matter is, it's a PA amp, not a bass amp. It's meant to be racked, and not on top of a cabinet. It's designed to be isolated from shock. Not rumbled all around. MOST of the PLXs don't have this problem anyway, and the new PLX2s do not at all, as far as I know. If you have to slightly modify it (by removing several screws and inserting a peice of foam, and then replacing the screws :bawl: ) to adapt it for a purpose it was not designed for, then so be it. As it stands, I'd be willing to bet if you wanted, QSC would have you ship it to them, THEY'D place the foam, and then ship it back to you. But is it worth all that hassle? No.