1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Qtron Alternative?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Bassist96, Nov 25, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Bassist96

Bassist96

Jan 13, 2013
    Australia
    Hey everyone!

Ive currently just been asked to join one of my local Chili pepper tribute bands. So im looking at the qtron cause i know thats what flea is currently using that live. But I hate the idea of needing an extra power spot for the pedal cause it needs 24v to power it. Anyone know of any 9 - 18v alternative pedals? I have been looking at the 3leaf wonder love for a while but haven't been game enough to spend the cash hahaha. Also I know there are probably similar threads to this out there but I can't find them (soz in advance for that one).

cheers

2. Zoom MS60B has a very good model of the Qtron as well as other useful sounds.

BrentSimons and Bassist96 like this.
  3. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    i have an enigma Qballs, and i dig it a lot. it runs on a standard 9 v power supply so you might also consider one of those.

4. Line6 M5 has the Tron Up and Tron Down, pretty good sounding for a multi.

Then you get a bonus octaver and a bunch of other modulation, delays & reverb, too.

Bassist96 likes this.
  5. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    Broughton JoshWah or MXR Bass Envelope Filter (as long as you don't need a down sweep).

StrangerDanger and Bassist96 like this.
  6. I really love my Broughton Josh Wah. It’s a great filter that is really easy to use and sounds killer.

Jakeman and Bassist96 like this.
  7. Bassist96

Bassist96

Jan 13, 2013
    Australia
    cheers everyone! will give them all a look

8. Bassist96

Bassist96

Jan 13, 2013
    Australia
    is the enigma Qballs essentially a qtron for bass?

9. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Frat-Pack Sympathizer

I have one too, and really like it. It's very versatile. It's sort of a hybrid between the Q-Tron and Bassballs. It's like a Q-Tron with a distortion built in. The distortion can be turned off (I almost never use it). It is designed for bass; the guitar version is called the Riddle Q-Balls.

FilterFunk likes this.
  10. Micro Qtron? EHX product, presumably a downsized version of the Qtron, 9V, LP mode is usable on bass.
    However, can be loud as hell sometimes, thus a compressor/limiter is advised at the end of the chain.

11. Stranger Danger

Stranger Danger Feel Like A Stranger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    The EBS BassIQ gets very close

12. Stranger Danger

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    Who needs a down sweep? Lol

13. DDXdesign

DDXdesign formerly 'jammadave' Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    Down sweep is money on some tunes. Chameleon, frinstance. =0)

14. BassBrass

BassBrass

Jul 6, 2009
    Boston MA
    The EXH Bassmicrosynth can be set to have a Very long down or up sweep, and like the EHEnigma you can set the start and stop frequencies, also goes as fast as possible too, fade in attack or immediate, forget about the octaves for now, it's my favorite envelope, and I've been through a few

Last edited: Nov 27, 2017
    Jakeman and FilterFunk like this.
  15. spufman

spufman

Feb 7, 2005
    Central CT
    My favorite remains the Xerograph Deluxe. I recently added an expression pedal and now it's even better than ever.

Jakeman likes this.
  16. devnulljp

devnulljp Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2009
    BC, Canada
    Admin on the D*A*M Forum
    MXR Envelope Filter is good, easily available and cheap.
    3Leaf Proton is excellent
    The tiny Malekko filter is good too.

Bassist96 likes this.
  17. Stranger Danger

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas

18. Spent a bit of time with my original QTron, signed by the two Mikes, and the MS60 and B3 both are very close, I give them high 90%, certainly good enough for live. Imho, ymmv.

19. Mosfed

Mosfed

Apr 21, 2013
    Chamonix Mont-Blanc
    Partner - CCP Pedals
    JoshWah

20. Bassist96

Bassist96

Jan 13, 2013
    Australia
    Cheers for everyones suggestions, gonna keep looking and looking, I didn't realise one of my mates has the enigma qballs so im gonna give that a go