1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

qtron + big muff

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by evanpu02, Apr 18, 2010.

1. evanpu02

evanpu02

Jun 13, 2007
    i really dig that bootsy-like wet sound of q tron
    and cliff burton's sound in the intro of "for whom the bell tolls" which i knew he used a big muff
    so i was after a qtron + big muff combination to try getting a close tone
    but the dealer recommend me qballs and bass big muff
    so now question arises
    should i get a qballs + bass big muff
    or qtron + big muff
    to get the tone i like??
    or any other suggestion???
    i use a MM stingray,
    have heard that active circuit with qtron don't sound so good as passive one...?(worse volume spike maybe??)
    what kind of combination is better suit stingray??
    THX!!!

2. Happynoj

Happynoj

Dec 5, 2006
    UK
    I like turtles.
    The Q-Balls is quite complicated, and can do much more than the normal Q-Tron range. This is great because you have many more options, but it is also a pain because it is more difficult to find the sound that you're after. Personally I would go with a Q-Tron/Bass Big Muff combo. The BBM works slightly better with bass than some of the other Muff models, and it has a clean blend which is always useful. Out of the Q-Trons, the Q-Tron+ is the most versatile - it has an effects loop which is quite nice but not useful to everyone. The regular Q-Tron is the same as the + version but without the loop and without the sweep speed switch. The Micro Q-Tron is the least versatile of the 3, but it is also the smallest, cheapest and easiest to use. It does those classic funky wet filter sounds beautifully. Choose based on your budget and the features that you want.

You know that there's an edit button so that you don't have to add a new post every time you think of something else?

3. fightthepower

fightthepower

Jan 7, 2008
    San Diego
    The Qballs would probably be a good compromise if you're looking for Bootsy and Cliff Burton style tones out of a single filter. If you put the Big Muff after the Qballs, you can use an expression pedal with the Qballs for the wah-action in the Cliff stuff, and use the Envelope and built-in fuzz for the Bootsy tones.

4. evanpu02

evanpu02

Jun 13, 2007
    but qballs is also designed for bass only, is that make it better with bass?? and the local dealer tell me that qballs is q tron + bassball, is that so? they share same circuit?

i've A/Bed the qballs and qtron+ the other day, and i found that they can sound quite the same, but qballs sound slightly better because the qtron+ got that voice spike more often, i don't know if it's because of my active stingray.

so nobody tried these qtron(or qballs) + (bass) big muff combination?? i thought that there will be lots of experience sharing, it's recommended in EHX instruction manual.

haha, he registered in February.
    thanks for your advise and thank him anyway!!

5. evanpu02

evanpu02

Jun 13, 2007
    good tips!! i am going to try that qballs and bass big muff combination later!! hope i can get the sound i like!!

6. evanpu02

evanpu02

Jun 13, 2007
    after trying qballs and BBM in store, i am about so close to buy them, but that's before i heard the sound of chunk system 00funk and brown dog, which makes me hesitate again...........

as i already mention, i just couldn't resist those crazy bootsy-que sound, and with Fuzz pedal blows me away even more!!!!!

but the price on ebay for two chunk pedal are both $262, it seems that they are not in the same level with qballs and BBM...
    so...?any suggestion?? buy cheap one first? or directly get the chunk combination? or buy four at a time and become envelope and fuzz addict??

7. billphreets

billphreets

Oct 1, 2009

id opt for the latter ; )