1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Qu for builders/luthiers; how do you choose your pickups?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by reverendrally, Aug 23, 2012.

1. Just about to start ordering hardware for a chambered, headless, 6 string fretless I've been wanting to build (previous 2 builds were a warm up). I've got some ideas for pickups, but I'm finding it kinda hard to know what to do. So I thought I'd ask...

How do YOU choose the pickups? Is there a vibe you're looking for? Is it all experience? How the heck do you do it?

P.s. I'm thinking bart G6s or some delano xtenders, but really I'm just stabbing in the dark here. :meh:

BTW, sorry mods if this seems the wrong forum, but this issue seems beyond the scope of the electronics forum.

2. Nidan

Nidan

Oct 31, 2008
    Duluth , Ga
    I always ask what the player is looking for tonally , then make suggestions based on experience.

Some folks have very specific ideas when they commission an instrument and I use what they request.

3. Smilodon

Smilodon Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2012
    Norway
    I took a shot in the dark and liked the result. ;)

4. Musiclogic

Musiclogic Commercial User

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    Most people have very specific ideas when they order, and this makes it easy. But, there are those that change their minds every other day(working with 2 of these at the moment...LOL) and those that have no clue about anything, that is where experience plays a part. The more experience you have with pickup brands, the easier it is to achieve a sound you want, or reccommend something to a customer.

5. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    Whatever brand-name pickups I can get for cheap out of the Classifieds.... ;)

6. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    I generally recommend to customers sticking with a standard routing template. For instance a p-2 sized route for 5 strings. That way the customer can use a few Bart pups or several different Nordstrand options if he feels he wants to try a different sounding pup. If you chose a pup route that there is only one pup that will fit it you are stuck with it. Just my thoughts...t