Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Quad Coil P-J-MM?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by chekerbored, Feb 27, 2005.

1. chekerbored

chekerbored

Nov 18, 2004
    STL
    i'm looking into getting a quad coil replacement for my MM style bass. I was wondering with the quad coil (maybe delano) if there was a way to do this? i'm not opposed to adding switches (2 probably, maybe 3 if i have to). Anyone tried to do this or have any experience with quad coils to shoot me down?

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

I usually give a post a shot if it's reached the bottom of the page and nobody's responded. I'm not clear what the question is. I'm aware of, though not familiar with, Delano pups but they're aren't many quad coil pups period and to my knowledge, no quad MM's. There are triple coils (ala Sterling)

The switching options for any pup are determined by the wiring. I had a pair of Bart quad J's but they were only two post and two leads (as I remember anyway) so the options for that pup would be no different than for a single J.

Haven't looked into quads much but I'd guess most of the coils are broken down per string. To my knowledge, where there is optimal external wiring options available the function is to permit individual control of string volume, not tone variations. I suppose you could wire some strings series, some parallel and it may be useful but I haven't heard of it.

Anybody else know or got anything different?

3. Carey

Carey

Jan 18, 2002
    Redlands, CA
    The quad coils I have experience with (not Delano's) are designed to be installed in a single front/parallel/single rear switching system. The quad setup simply gives you noisless single coil settings. If you want to put one of these in a Music Man bass with a stock 3 way and preamp you may have problems. The stock system is a 3 way with single coil/parallel/series switching and the series setting has a built in load in the preamp so it's not louder than the parallel or single setting. It would be very tricky to install a quad in this system and have it sound right.
    If you have a bass that is not stock or has a passive system then you can use either the 3 or 4 coil pickup. Even the 2 coil will give you a lot of options, but it just won't give you a silent single setting.
    Also, the 3 coil pickup is a lot deeper than a standard 2 or 4 coil pickup so you'll have to make sure it'll fit your bass or have it routed to fit.
    Hope that helps.

4. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    There you go chekerbored.

Something tells me Carey can fill you in on any details that may need clarification.

5. Maybe you could just send the guys from delano an e-mail? Although iirc their site states that the pu has 4-conductor wiring (so coil pairs are pre-combined), but maybe they could construct a custom pu

6. chekerbored

chekerbored

Nov 18, 2004
    STL
    sorry about not being specific. My bass is an OLP MM2, so any pickup upgrade is gonna be decent. I has a little tub routing in it, and im not exactly sure i remember the depth.

the delano quads are like 2 j pups next to each other, and its four coils set up so each coils senses two strings.

I'm not set on delano's either. I'm open to other sugesstions.

I've heard of people wiring quads in P/humbucker/reverse P. The other way i've heard is Series/Single/parallel.

Now what i was wondering about. Would it be possible to wire a pickup like that so a three way switch would do single/humbucker/P, and get the 3 classic pickups in one, without adding a bunch of switches.

7. Carey

Carey

Jan 18, 2002
    Redlands, CA
    A drop in for an OLP would be a quad coil. The stock pickup is just two coils, and it has two volumes and a tone. The first knob is volume for the front coil, and the second knob is volume for the rear coil. The third knob is passive tone.
    The problem is it gets noisey when you only have one coil on. The qual coil solves this problem by being hum cancelling within each "coil", which is actually now two coils wired like a P bass pickup, in series.
    The way I make my pickups it's not possible to do a P style selection because the diagonally opposite pickups have the same magnet polarity. Still, if you solo the front coil(s) it's amazing how much like a P bass the sound is. And, the rear coils get fairly close to a J sound too. Both coils on and you've got a classic parallel Music Man sound.
    You could set it up to run series/parallel/single, but it series mode is a bit unruly. It's a bit louder than either parallel or single and it's kinda dark with loads if mids.
    Anyway, hope that helps.

8. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE

9. chekerbored

chekerbored

Nov 18, 2004
    STL
    Hey thanks for the help. I've sorted a couple things out. I'm gonna keep looking at pups and when i get around to doin this ill probably come back for some more help. Thanks again, i appreciate it.