1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Quad Cortex - Neural DSP

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Al Krow, Jan 10, 2020.

1. EMoneySC2

EMoneySC2 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Minneapolis, MN
    I ended up cancelling my preorder because of other financial needs popping up - but I’m still excited to get myself a Quad Cortex sometime next year!

2. jimfist

jimfist "Cling tenaciously to my buttocks!"

Mar 28, 2011
    Boston, MA (USA)
    The thing that really interests me as much as anything is the "capture" aspect of signal paths, and the cloud library of captured sounds that will be ever-growing as the QC matures (much like the Kemper). When I think of having a front end drive, amp preamp model, and speaker capture all in one tidy "block", that's huge IMHO. And evidently, these captures use up a lot less memory & cpu that the native algorithm amp+cab model blocks, so you can get quite a number of them residing in a preset.

That said, their cab block design is really something to consider....worth a look if you haven't already done so. Evidently, rather than having to sift through dozens upon dozens of individual IRs of the same speaker (for different mic type and position), they've compiled them (for their native cabinet types) so that moving the mic placement on the UI graphic screen automatically switches the actual IR seamlessly. Very cool.

Though I'm in no financial position to even be looking at the QC right now, I'll be looking at this down the road when (hopefully) the Covid stranglehold is done with. And the fact that they actually promote this unit for bass as much as guitar is a real breath of fresh air coming from Neural DSP. I hope this unit is all that it aspires to be.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2020
    jebmd, BrentSimons and EMoneySC2 like this.
  3. Bassique

Bassique

Feb 25, 2015
    Finland
    While that is certainly a cool feature, I think alot of people just want simplicity nowadays. A couple good amp/cab captures and I'd be happy with it, you then have the ability to tweak the tone using different pedals and EQ's.

jebmd likes this.
  4. jimfist

jimfist "Cling tenaciously to my buttocks!"

Mar 28, 2011
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I agree with you in theory, but some users may want to go a different route using the stock cab block IR format. All I'm saying is that for those people, it looks like the QC is offering a simpler cab block approach vs. some if its other hardware competition that uses a method where you have to individually load the IR for each different mic, and for each different positioning.

jebmd and Bassique like this.
  5. Fun With Dirt

Fun With Dirt

Mar 25, 2017
    North GA
    ...and now I'm on the waiting list for this. Lol.

bruno40gr and retroXvertigo like this.
  6. amper

amper

Dec 4, 2002
    US
    Is there any new word on when this thing might actually ship? It’s been over a year since it was announced, and so far as I know, there’s still no firm ship date.

7. Thomann Germany says 4 to 5 weeks from now. I'm seriously considering selling lots of pedals and going now completely digital. I use the helix rack and still have a small pedalboard for smaller gigs. However, these pedals are more of a hassle/struggle and also more spaceous than the quad cortex with the wireless and two small exp. pedals.

Hm... difficult.

AccessAllAreas likes this.
  8. bjelkeman

bjelkeman Bass player wannabe

May 9, 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden
    The manual is supposedly coming this week. And they have said before that the manual would come shortly before or just as they started shipping.

retroXvertigo likes this.
  9. bigsnack

bigsnack

Aug 24, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Your timing was perfect, I got an email for the manual literally 10 minutes after you posted this!

retroXvertigo and Fun With Dirt like this.
  10. Fun With Dirt

Fun With Dirt

Mar 25, 2017
    North GA
    Reading right now!

BrentSimons and retroXvertigo like this.
  11. Fun With Dirt

Fun With Dirt

Mar 25, 2017
    North GA
    The two plugins I plan to target first thing is Darkglass Suite and Parallax. I am SO, SO pumped.

BrentSimons and retroXvertigo like this.
  12. rtav

rtav Millionaire Stuntman, Half-Jackalope

Dec 12, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    I was looking for a new multieffects unit and planning on buying an FM3, but after seeing this... wow.

I've used multieffects from Boss (ME-50B, GT6B), TC (Nova System, G-System) and was leaning towards the Fractal stuff, but now that I've seen the demos for this, I may be picking one up asap.

13. Fun With Dirt

Fun With Dirt

Mar 25, 2017
    North GA
    I eyed the FM3 and had looked at the AxeFX for YEARS now.

This looks to be an evolutionary mark on modeling tech. Just stunning. A friend of mine (amp designer and builder) and tube amp snob came away really impressed not only by the sound of the QC but the "feel". The reviews I've seen they all mention the feel. :)

BrentSimons, bjelkeman and rtav like this.
  14. bjelkeman

May 9, 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden
    There are now a bunch of videos about the Quad Cortex. Not much bass content yet. But the demos give an idea of the capabilities of the QC.

And finally something with more BASS from @archisland

Last edited: Jan 30, 2021
  15. bjelkeman

May 9, 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden
    We are starting a Quad Cortex Capture "database" over here.
    Add amps, camps, effects that you are planning to capture and share - Thanks!

Quad Cortex Capture database

16. That's @archisland Erik Arko :)

Interview with @[email protected]

17. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    Dang now I want one! Of course

Fun With Dirt and BrentSimons like this.
  18. Fun With Dirt

Fun With Dirt

Mar 25, 2017
    North GA
    Hey! I know you from discord. :)

bjelkeman likes this.
  19. Fun With Dirt

Fun With Dirt

Mar 25, 2017
    North GA
    It is super promising. That a feature will be added in an update that will allow for porting of the Neural DSP plugins right into the Cortex was the clincher for me. Parallax I will totally get. The only bummer for me in what will be the initial release is that the killer cabs available in the Element are not yet in the list of Virtual Devices for the initial release of the Quad Cortex. Still plenty of good stuff in there though. I have my preorder in at SW. Just waiting now.

BrentSimons likes this.
  20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 14, 2021