1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Quad Cortex - Neural DSP

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Al Krow, Jan 10, 2020.

1. Man that multi-instrument input stuff is pretty wild. If international touring ever gets going again I have to imagine a lot of bands will be looking at running a QC. Seems like most of the European metal bands I watched in 2019 playing small to medium venues were using Kemper setups.

sunbeast likes this.
  2. PaulSund

PaulSund

Nov 18, 2010
    Minneapolis, MN
    There have been a bunch of new Youtube vids put up in the last couple days reviewing the QC.
    This makes me think the Tier 1 folks should be getting an email any day now.
    I've been patiently checking my email a few times every minute but so far, nada. :(

bste9 and Fun With Dirt like this.
  3. Fun With Dirt

Fun With Dirt

Mar 25, 2017
    North GA
    Following the discord server, nothing on the immediate horizon has been hinted at. The release of the manual Friday before last and then the more recent lift of the video embargo from content makers is definitely a marker that things are really moving along and probably very close to release of Tier 1. The hardware I'd want to guess is all where they want it to be but doing some final testing and tweaking of software/cloud services. So... dunno but those milestones mentioned before definitely show it is very close.

PaulSund likes this.
  4. EMoneySC2

EMoneySC2 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Minneapolis, MN
    It’s kind of a side note, but I checked out Neural on LinkedIn and didn’t see any “Project Managers” in the company. If that’s the case, it doesn’t surprise me too much that they missed schedule dates and that they’ve been operating without a schedule for months now. Not to say a PM would fix any of that, but I imagine right now at Neural it isn’t anybody’s job to come up with and track against a schedule. As someone who project manages software stuff kind of like the QC during business hours, I can understand how complicated it is to know when the project will be done.

BunchyMutt likes this.
  5. Fun With Dirt

Fun With Dirt

Mar 25, 2017
    North GA
    I also manage software. Here's the thing, missed deadlines are nothing new. In their case, they require two lines of development to meet deadlines and not just one: hardware and software. The other part is LinkedIn has voluntary participation. You'd only see them if they created an account or listed their work with NDSP in their work history. I know lots of people in my industry that are several years out of date

bjelkeman likes this.
  6. EMoneySC2

Aug 25, 2014
    Minneapolis, MN
    I’ve always been an embedded guy, so I’m very familiar with that development world! They’ve got a lot of complicating factors in their product development lifecycle, so it’s no shock they’ve been struggling. I assume they don’t have product requirements, software requirements, documented test procedures, or automated test capabilities. All that just piles on uncertainty.

None of that is meant to bash them - rather providing context and empathy. I’ve been there ... heck, I am there! :banghead:

Very true that LinkedIn is an opt-in thing that not everybody uses, but for better or for worse I expect PMs to be more involved in that kind of networking stuff :laugh:

7. Fun With Dirt

Fun With Dirt

Mar 25, 2017
    North GA
    No doubt. Networking is life these days. I'm in middle management so I'm not as mobile as many in the software development industry but if not contract work proper then I have seen people even to move along to the next thing after the major project push is over. Didnt take it as bashing. Hope I didn't come off as argumentative.

EMoneySC2 likes this.
  8. EMoneySC2

Aug 25, 2014
    Minneapolis, MN
    All good :thumbsup:

9. bjelkeman

bjelkeman Bass player wannabe

May 9, 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden
  10. Fun With Dirt

Fun With Dirt

Mar 25, 2017
    North GA
    Saw that. Really liked the tone he got on the setting he called Flip Top.

11. Jesuguru

Jesuguru Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2003
    DC area (for now)
    Ok REALLY impressed with the neural capture, 30 seconds of sampling and his bass into the Big Muff, compared with the QC's capture, sound pretty much identical. NICE.

BrentSimons likes this.
  12. Fun With Dirt

Fun With Dirt

Mar 25, 2017
    North GA
    Yup. Based on a Doug response on TGP that's being shared all over the place, might be a few weeks out yet from shipping. I don't have anything waiting on it so I'm good. ...but it should be fun when it comes.

BrentSimons likes this.
  13. bjelkeman

bjelkeman Bass player wannabe

May 9, 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I think the capture takes a bit longer (it was a time lapse) but it was good. Note that they have said fuzzes aren’t all going to work well captured.

Fun With Dirt likes this.
  14. Fun With Dirt

Fun With Dirt

Mar 25, 2017
    North GA
    I take that as a "some will work better than others" thing until they really clear it for fuzz boxes.

15. archisland

archisland

Mar 5, 2016
    Stockholm

Did a second video :) Hope that it’s useful!! :)

16. chanson

chanson Supporting Member

Man, this thing seems next level. I already have a Helix Stomp but plan on upgrading to the QC later this year. The interface, capture, and more bass specific amp/pedal modelers are such big selling points for me.

BrentSimons and archisland like this.
  17. TonyRo

TonyRo Supporting Member

Jun 29, 2017
    Cleveland, OH
    The actual offering of effects and amps is way behind HX Stomp, hopefully they catch up after release. The one thing they do have that I'm very excited about will be the option to add in parallax or Cory Wong bass blocks later. I am a T1 preorder, hoping for good news in a month or so. :)

18. Fun With Dirt

Fun With Dirt

Mar 25, 2017
    North GA
    Email just came out from NDSP. The current expected shipping time from them to retailers is late March. Pumped. :)

19. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    While I'm not in the market for an outboard processor like the QC, I will say that over the weekend I demoed two of Neural's plugins on some DI guitar tracks that a client sent to my studio as part of their session. I used both the Cory Wong and Plini plugins and the sound was remarkably good. Ultimately I preferred reamping to a mic'd up guitar amp in my studio, but if I didn't have the luxury of the space and equipment that I do, I would happily use Neural's plugins on commercial releases, and still may if there's a time or budget crunch on a project and I don't have time to fiddle with reamping in the "real" world. The Neural plugins sounded absolutely wonderful and were leagues ahead of other amp sims I've used in the past. Really first rate stuff.

20. Fellas,
    Hopefully not a stupid question with the captures, but the capture is a just a snapshot (Helix pun intended ;)) of what device you are capturing at your favorite settings right? You aren't able to edit parameters are you? For example using Nate Navarros vid he captured the EHX bass muff deluxe. The various "knobs" don't show up right? Its just that one sound. Or if I tried to capture my SWR amp its not like the aural enhancer and parametric mids knob show up?
    Just wondering. I guess that would be cloning rather than capturing...
    Best wishes,
    Brent

Fun With Dirt likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 22, 2021