1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Quad Cortex - Neural DSP

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Al Krow, Jan 10, 2020.

1. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    Definitely this is the case, it is just sending an audio signal through the signal chain and analyzing the output vs the input to attempt to recreate whatever that signal chain has done to the input signal. You'd have to take multiple captures at different settings to be able to simulate "turning the knobs" accurately, or you could kinda fudge it to some degree using EQ and level blocks in the box. In some cases a gain control in a pedal/amp might be simulated alright by just adjusting the input into a capture, but in most cases I think it would fall short because most amp/pedal circuits are more complex and interactive than just a linear level adjustment into a static gain device.

BrentSimons likes this.
  2. Fun With Dirt

Fun With Dirt

Mar 25, 2017
    North GA
    That is correct. It is more like a snapshot of what is coming out of the amp a specific point in time versus a full model. A full model might have the Aural Enhancer other controls unique to that amp where as a capture (profile using Kemper language) will only have basic EQ and gain controls. Think of it being more like doing eq and additional gain in post instead of on the amp itself.

BrentSimons likes this.
  3. Roger that Fellas, thank you! I figured that was probably the case.

Maybe we will see that feature on the Octlet Cortex? ;)

Stay healthy y'all,
    Brent

Fun With Dirt and TonyP- like this.
  4. archisland

archisland

Mar 5, 2016
    Stockholm

:D

5. EMoneySC2

EMoneySC2 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Minneapolis, MN
    Awesome! I like how this unit is shaping up.

6. jimfist

jimfist "Cling tenaciously to my buttocks!"

Mar 28, 2011
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Here's a link to another video. Though it's a guitar sound video, it also applies to any form of pedal/box tone machine, dirt/drive/fuzz box, etc. If the CAPTURE feature is as good as presented, think of the possibilities.
    The sky is the limit in this respect.

7. Ok so Olas video has me thinking. He shows how you can literally run an entire band off of one QC and still not even use half the processing power. Wonder if it would be possible to connect an external foot controller. Maybe something like the darkglass super intelligent foot switch so that two signal paths could be controlled independently on the fly. Because I could see eventually getting to a point where the entire band runs off one “brain” like that but independent control for bass and guitar would definitely be a plus. I know for me I use a relatively small pedalboard which has octave drive and delay. Would be cool to have a signal path setup where I could use something like the darkglass super intelligent foot switch to turn on and off those effects while the guitarist can do the same thing on the actual unit for his sounds. Of course this would cause a couple problems like you’d have to share a tuner some how but hell I’ll use my tc clip on tuner if I could get all that to work. Or maybe they could even do a foot switch that has a tuner on it.

8. Fun With Dirt

Fun With Dirt

Mar 25, 2017
    North GA
    For that, I believe you'd need to have scenes tied to your entire band. It would be possible but requires a lot of pre-planning. A scene only captures all 4 paths at once and can't be controlled independently. I could be wrong but I believe that's how it works from what I've seen. You'd need a scene for every time something is different even if it is just must one musician. One person would be in control of the changes or remotely changed by DAW

9. Yeah that’s true, would be cool to be able to do it on the fly instead of having to pre plan out every single combination of tones. I mean for example there are times when I use three different tones (clean, octave, overdrive) with the guitarist same clean tone. So not having independent control there would have to be three different scenes where the guitar sound doesn’t even change.

10. sunbeast

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    I haven’t seen much on the MIDI implementation yet, but it should be possible to program a MIDI controller as a separate control unit based on the promised MIDI functionality of the QC. It may be complex to set up the way you want though, beyond the more basic “scene” or “stomp box” modes that would each potentially have their own big limitations when used with multiple players. Ideally the stomp box mode would probably be the best way unless there are MIDI commands that would allow mixing of both modes simultaneously.
    Ultimately a band with multiple Quad Cortex (cortices?) might be the answer...

Nephilymbass likes this.
  11. Fun With Dirt

Fun With Dirt

Mar 25, 2017
    North GA
    such a thing could be possible in the future but the first release won't have that capability. maybe a great suggestion for a future feature. have a MIDI junction that can tie three or four short MIDI boards and assigning a button on one board to control one block on one row. :)

Nephilymbass likes this.
  12. Yeah that’s what I’m thinking. If you could use a seperate footswitch for stomp box mode
    Yea it seems like to me that would be an awesome way to use a modeler. I mean I’ve seen them all. The helix, the kemper, the guitarist I play with currently uses a fractal. No one I’ve seen using these things in person are using like a 100 different amp sounds. Everyone has one or two amps sims they really like. So it would be cool to be able to basically simulate two or three signal chains (depending on how many guitarist are in the band) and let everyone have their own footswitch to turn on and off their effects like stomp box mode expanded to other footswitches

Fun With Dirt likes this.
  13. sunbeast

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    If you only want to use stompbox mode on both the unit and a seperate MIDI controller during a song (which limits you to only turning one thing on or off per switch at a time), then it seems likely that this should be a pretty basic MIDI functionality (basically just like assigning external switches on an HX Stomp using one of the DMC units in Utility Mode). The issue would be when you need to make bigger changes which would ideally require switching into scene mode (essentially "starting fresh"), then whoever had control of the QC would have to bounce back to the stompbox mode again quickly. Once you've changed scenes, you may need a completely different MIDI preset on your controller to affect the new scene (the QC may be able to send a PC message to a MIDI controller when you switch scenes).
    If you used a controller like a Morningstar MC6 or MC8 then you would even have a screen that you could save titles for all the button presses for each preset on so you can have a visual reference. The Morningstar controllers are actually capable of tons of single button commands (like multiple MIDI messages sent at one press, or different commands for long press vs short press, etc), so if the QC is enabled to receiving multiple messages simultaneously then you could conceivably turn stompbox mode into a psuedo-scene mode by just programming individual changes you wanted into each button press (like engaging a drive and EQ simultaneously or turning one thing off and another on simultaneously) which might be the ideal way to set up dual control.

I expect a whole lot of MIDI troubleshooting for the Neuro crew in the near future. I don't envy innovators in this industry, expected to perform miracles for endless use cases and funky implementations/compatibilities for the lifetime of a new product!

Last edited: Feb 15, 2021
    Nephilymbass likes this.
  14. archisland

archisland

Mar 5, 2016
    Stockholm
    I bought a very cheap Harley Benton MP-100 MIDI Controller (it’s essentially a re-branded “MIDI Commander”) and it just took me a few minutes to have it programmed properly for the QC. Really easy to set up and works very well IMHO.
    Maybe I should do a video about it..?

15. Fun With Dirt

Fun With Dirt

Mar 25, 2017
    North GA
    please do!

Nephilymbass and archisland like this.
  16. sunbeast

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    Definitely! How are you using it specifically?

17. Fun With Dirt

Fun With Dirt

Mar 25, 2017
    North GA
    What is your YT channel?

18. sunbeast

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA

Fun With Dirt and archisland like this.
  19. archisland

archisland

Mar 5, 2016
    Stockholm
    Basically just to shift scenes (E-H), engage/disengage the tuner, tap tempo and enter/leave gig view. The only downside with the MP-100 is that you can’t program the Velocity (1-127) of the MIDI CC, so using it for both Scenes and Stomp at the same time sadly is out of the question. I do think that the Morningstar ones would be able to do this, though - but $100 worth of gear fees better to have beer spilled in than $200, if you catch my drift :)

sunbeast likes this.
  20. I wonder though if it could be as simple as setting up the chain a specific way. For example the guitarist I play with. (Been playing together for like 25 years by the way I probably wouldn’t consider this with someone new) but I’m wondering if you can for example put two amp sims blocks side by side and set up a footswitch in stomp box mode to a/b between the two amps because really with his fractal all he uses amp modeling wise is a rectifier model for dirty tones and a fender model for cleans. He uses the same cab IR all the time. Or maybe because you can do 4 independent signal paths you can just assign one footswitch to jump from one row with the clean sound to another with the dirty sound while the bass signal chain is always on the 3rd row. But yeah based on how the hx stomp can be used with other footswitches to expand use, it seems like it would be doable somehow.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 28, 2021