1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Quad Cortex - Neural DSP

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Al Krow, Jan 10, 2020.

1. brentonbassist

brentonbassist

Aug 10, 2010
    Updated with a much newer one, from my most recent gig (7.5 years ago haha).

2. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    Earth
    I want to see a list of FX. Does it model the Alpha Omega in addition to the B7K and Vintage that were already available as plugins? Does it cover the usuals, e.g. is there an analog style octave down, a polyphonic digital pitch shifter, a range of filters and modulation, and realistic analog style delays (that feed back and self oscillate like the Helix ones)?

DeltaPhoenix, Zon master and JulienP. like this.
  3. MDBass

MDBass Supporting Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Dingwall-Fender-Bergantino-Dunlop-Tech 21-Darkglass-Nordstrand
    It actually appears to have way more firepower than the Helix Floor.

Edit: I see Doug already beat me to it ;)

BrentSimons likes this.
  4. brentonbassist

brentonbassist

Aug 10, 2010
    Any hints for us, Doug, as to what sort of amp sims and effects it’ll have initially? Given your roots, will there be as much stuff suited towards bass as guitar, unlike all of the competition?

DeltaPhoenix likes this.
  5. Al Krow

Al Krow

Jan 15, 2018
    London
    Feels more James Bond than Frankenstein to me!

Literally awesome!

rtav, BrentSimons and Fuzzbass like this.
  6. Al Krow

Al Krow

Jan 15, 2018
    London
    That's Moore's Law for you! ;)

gzarruk likes this.
  7. Zon master

Zon master

May 10, 2017
    Ok

8. TonyP-

TonyP- Excuse me but you have your I-IV-V in my II-V-I Gold Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    A-Designs Mike Lull GK Tsunami Cables GHS Strings RMI Basswitch Nordstrand Pickups Darkglass
    I look forward towards your review.

BrentSimons likes this.
  9. DeltaPhoenix

DeltaPhoenix Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Gainesville,FL
    I have faith that Doug and team will knock this out of the park. The info online looks like one can expect continued development for quite sometime.

I too would like to see a list of planned fx for the Quad Cortex. I understand they would be considerable limiting their market by doing something that is overly bass focused but any rough estimate of how many bass amps, cabs, IRs, fx there are going to be (upon release) vs guitar focused. Is the plan to put a blend on most fx and say hey, there you go, it works on bass or is there possibly more? (I realize one can make parallel routings, or put an eq before/after an effect, etc).

This is exciting, I am looking at my Helix Floor going hmmmm, what do I do. I dig the Floor, a lot, but knowing who is involved in this, their track record...man. I know bass players won’t be an afterthought with the Quad Cortex and that is huge.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2020
  10. Seashore

Seashore

Jun 2, 2019
    As long as the sound is convincing, is it really obsolete just because something new comes out? I mean, I had to use my 17-year old Line6 Flextone head at a show last weekend and it held up surprisingly well.

CameronJohnson likes this.
  11. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Hardware looks cool, but it will come down to the software which will determine how good it is for a given purpose. Bass is difficult because you can get a good enough sound for a gig by just plugging into a Radial JDI.

I won’t preorder because I’m thinking that it will cater towards the Darkglass / djent type of sounds. Not saying that as a bad thing, they’ll sell a ton of those, it just isn’t my tone. I’m sure there will be more demos along the way and I may change my mind.

Briton likes this.
  12. Cuzzie

Cuzzie Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2016
    how does it compare power wise to the Fractal FX III please

13. I think you're right, it definitely will cater to us who know through experience that just plugging into a JDI absolutely is not enough to get a good live tone

14. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Experiences differ. I like Darkglass build quality a lot, but it's just not a tone that fits with what I do. I've bought a few of their pedals, but they didn't fit with my needs. That's fine, not a ding on Darkglass. So while I'm interested in this, I'm hopeful but doubt that it will cater to the clean and warm tones I want. My point about a JDI is that bass rigs tend to be very, very spartan and that the guitar market is both larger and uses far more effects / amps.

Murdernickle and FaithNoMan like this.
  15. FWIW, I know a few folk over on Basschat.co.uk who owned the Darkglass M900 amps and said it produced really really nice clean tones, so I wouldn’t worry or doubt that the Quad Cortex will be capable of the same feat.

Tons of guitarists on Facebook saying that the Neural plugins such as Archetype Plini/Abasi etc, while capable of screaming modern metal tones, produce beautiful cleans as well.

With the amount of processing power, routing flexibility and the resulting tone shaping options I think we’ll do just fine for good clean bass.

Al Krow, bjelkeman and Cuzzie like this.
  16. Exactly, it all comes down to your needs, and your tonal goals in your style of music. Coming from an extreme metal standpoint, just plugging into a DI is a guarantee you won't be heard in the mix. I would assume the Neural will be marketed mainly towards the metal crowd, but will undoubtedly be usable in all styles and genres

gravesbass and CameronJohnson like this.
  17. Assuming that Castro is also behind the Cortex, I assume that we will see other darkglasses effects in this unit, not only a B7K (that has one Helix and Fractal)...

If this unit has ampeg amp stuffs, would be great (ampeg svt classic and others)...

BrentSimons likes this.
  18. jimfist

jimfist "Cling tenaciously to my buttocks!"

Mar 28, 2011
    Boston, MA (USA)
    following...

form factor, I/O, features...looks great on paper. Definitely worth the price at $1600 assuming the amp tone & effects quality can compete with the established big players in modeling. Looking forward to reviews for bass. Then we'll see if I am tempted to sell off some pieces of gear to get one...but I don't need one.

BrentSimons and Les Fret like this.
  19. bjelkeman

bjelkeman Bass player wannabe

May 9, 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden
    37 hours from this post. Live Q&A with Doug. 13 January %2020, at 19.00 GMT, I think (says 20.00 and I am at CET). 2 pm EST and 11 am PST.

BrentSimons likes this.
  20. bjelkeman

bjelkeman Bass player wannabe

May 9, 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden

BrentSimons and Al Krow like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 17, 2021