Quad Cortex - Neural DSP

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Al Krow, Jan 10, 2020.

1. retroXvertigo

retroXvertigo Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2017
    Baltimore
    I know the model sounds amazing.

2. retroXvertigo

Apr 7, 2017
    Baltimore
    400+ Model. IMG_20210410_142104.jpg IMG_20210410_142113.jpg

osv and BrentSimons like this.
  3. scubaduba

scubaduba Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    Are people starting to post models somewhere?

BrentSimons likes this.
  4. retroXvertigo

Apr 7, 2017
    Baltimore
    I honestly haven't messed with them a ton. There's an envelope filter called "Love Meat' that's incredible.

BrentSimons likes this.
  5. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    Nice! If it is like the amp, Channel 1 is the cleaner and more polite/slightly-scooped channel while Channel 2 is more gainy and raw. The EQ is Fender-style so “flat” is with Bass and Treble on 2 (out of 10) and Mid full on, though the 2 EQ shifts manipulate this a bit (I would usually use mine with both Shifts engaged). The Gain from pushing Channel 2 was some of my favorite preamp grit from a bass amp ever! I look forward to trying one of these some day

Last edited: Apr 10, 2021
    BrentSimons and retroXvertigo like this.
  6. retroXvertigo

Apr 7, 2017
    Baltimore
    Yep. Bang on. Channel 2 is very nice as well.

BrentSimons likes this.
  7. scubaduba

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    I’d like to hear more about captures. How simple is this process? How would it work with compressors? Things like attack, threshold, knee, release, etc all seem so variable. Not to mention how different instruments feeding a compressor make the compressor react differently. How does the QC capture all of those nuances?

Same with amps/preamps? How do you tell the QC to capture the different EQ range and gain settings etc?

Educate me.

DrMole likes this.
  8. kevk

kevk Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2014
    Napa Valley
    Well, I don’t have my QC...yet (someone feel free to correct me, if I got this wrong :)) But, from reading the um and YT vids, the capture process looks quite straight-forward to implement.

That said...control of a virtual modular device (ie 400+ model above) is quite different than controlling a capture.

Capture is a “snapshot” of your favorite setting...to which you’ll only be able to further manipulate with 5 controls: gain, bass, mid, treble, and volume. You’d want to capture/store all your favorite “settings” (eq, clean, dirty, mic position, etc) of a pedal, amp, cab, etc.

From the QC um... 6A206AEB-1BF8-41DA-AC88-21B80BD9C1CD.jpeg

Last edited: Apr 11, 2021
  9. scubaduba

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    Ahh. Makes sense. Expanding on my last question then. Let’s say I have a favorite preamp. I record it by the QC with bass A. Do I need to do it again with bass B and bass C? I mean, that preamp is going to sound different depending on what bass is driving it so how does the QC “capture” the preamp and not the combo of preamp and bass? And then once the QC has made the capture does it make every bass sound like the bass that was used from the capture?

DrMole likes this.
  10. kevk

kevk Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2014
    Napa Valley
    It’s not capturing the bass...it’s capturing the preamp settings (not actually playing your bass when the preamp is being “captured”...) So you play a bass to get the desired settings, then capture the preamp settings. If you use quite different settings with another bass...then make/save another capture of those settings, using a different tag/name.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2021
    Fun With Dirt and retroXvertigo like this.
  11. retroXvertigo

Apr 7, 2017
    Baltimore
    Yep. It makes a bunch of crazy noises and uses science figure your capture out.

BrentSimons and Fun With Dirt like this.
  12. scubaduba

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    Ahh. Ok thanks. That clears it up.

Fun With Dirt likes this.
  13. Fun With Dirt

Fun With Dirt

Mar 25, 2017
    North GA
    Quite right. Those "crazy noises" are a controlled source whereas any end-user's guitar/bass signals would be uncontrolled. With the controlled source, the process can measure the output and the changes to the signal based on frequency, intensity, and complexity. From there, it can make a profile or a capture and then have any signal that passes through that profile or capture be adjusted by those same changes so it reacts to your incoming signal based on frequency, intensity, and complexity. Really, really neat stuff.

14. EMoneySC2

EMoneySC2 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Minneapolis, MN
    At least for the time being the QC cannot capture any time based effects, so you cannot capture compressors, delays, reverbs, etc. That capability *may* come at a later date, if they can figure it out, is what I understand.

retroXvertigo likes this.
  15. scubaduba

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
  16. DangaDanga

DangaDanga

Mar 26, 2014
    I’m diggin the Mesa 400+, the animato capture, unique distortions in general, parametric eqs and darkglass/ampeg cabsims the most. Also the way you can split chains is too much fun. Can get tones for decades.

17. TheLowDown33

TheLowDown33 Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2009
    NJ
    Any word on an OC-2 esque Octaver? Looking at the manual I see some polyphonic/digital models but nothing analog.

18. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

You could probably do a second website devoted just to the QC from the way things look. The reviews I’ve seen on it so far are glowing.

DrMole and retroXvertigo like this.
  19. retroXvertigo

Apr 7, 2017
    Baltimore
    I was honestly looking into Fractal last year and someone on this site like me know about the QC. I immediately put in my pre-order. Took a little bit extra to show up, but I'm happy.

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 20, 2021