1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Quad Cortex - Neural DSP

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Al Krow, Jan 10, 2020.

1. Fun With Dirt

Fun With Dirt

Mar 25, 2017
    North GA
    Could be. I think it will settle down. It's just huge at the moment just due to it just being released. ...but, I can totally see a bit of a community building around it. Not a community in worship of the QC but more just in preset sharing and the like. Not sure it will be any bigger or more successful than anything we see with AxeFx or Kemper but can absolutely see it. What I am getting the most kick out of is the people that are in the QC camp are just having a blast but those whom have decided this is a fight for existence have dug their heels in to protect their AxeFx or Kemper from annihilation. ...which I think if funny. I can't say I have seen, outside of a random few, any notable number of QC users or fans that think it will be the end of Fractal or Kemper. Of course, we see this all the time with other gear. Doesn't make it thoroughly eye-roll worthy every time though. lol

40Hz and retroXvertigo like this.
  2. retroXvertigo

retroXvertigo Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2017
    Baltimore
    It's funny how aggressively some people will defend a product they enjoy.

The things I use work well for me. That's all I need. If you like them too, cool. You have good taste.

BrentSimons and DangaDanga like this.
  3. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Yep. That sort of thing is predictable. There's a lot of people in the music world that are constantly seeking validation. Their stance is: "Love me? Then love my gear, band, favorite artist, label, genre, Yoko...yadda-yadda-yadda. Or else!" And anything less than absolute unconditional approval bordering on drooling idiocy is immediately tagged as (to use that most juvenile of all phrases) "hating on" whatever you're talking about.

Be really cool if some people could find things actually worth being passionate about. But what can you do? :laugh:

To me the QC is just one more candidate in a sea of other good choices. And it's always beneficial for potential buyers when products are actively competing with each other on their respective merits. But what do I know? I'm just the bass player. ;)

intersection1.jpg

Last edited: Apr 12, 2021
    DrMole, 1983L2000 and Ryno1330 like this.
  4. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

I'm nowhere near as nice as you.

If something works well for me then I'm good with it. End of script.

If somebody agrees or disagrees with my choices, I honestly don't care either way. ;):laugh:

DrMole and retroXvertigo like this.
  5. bjelkeman

bjelkeman Bass player wannabe

May 9, 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Yes, so far the most satisfying preset for me is with a Carbine M6 or a Darkglass M900 capture (M900 my own) with a 400 as a side chain with a low pass and compressor. A capture of the Harmonic Booster in front and the B3K model.

DangaDanga and retroXvertigo like this.
  6. retroXvertigo

Apr 7, 2017
    Baltimore

This sounds like something I need in my life.

BrentSimons likes this.
  7. Natasdrol

Natasdrol Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2017
    Rancho Cucamonga ,CA
    Possible to get a download of this from ya?

8. bjelkeman

May 9, 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden
    i need to clean it up first, it is tweaked to fit three or four songs of ours with names to fit.

retroXvertigo likes this.
  9. retroXvertigo

Apr 7, 2017
    Baltimore
    Now that it's out, maybe we should either update the first post with people's usernames who wish to share, or maybe create another post for it.

I'm LunacyBass

Fun With Dirt, EMoneySC2 and kevk like this.
  10. Natasdrol

Natasdrol Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2017
    Rancho Cucamonga ,CA
    My handle on cortex is Natasdrol

Fun With Dirt and retroXvertigo like this.
  11. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    My handle is tombowlus.

12. Fun With Dirt

Fun With Dirt

Mar 25, 2017
    North GA
    All followed. :) Mine is FunWithDirt

retroXvertigo and tombowlus like this.
  13. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    'xush'
    I'll be putting up some studio gear once my QC lands

Fun With Dirt and Ryno1330 like this.
  14. Fun With Dirt

Fun With Dirt

Mar 25, 2017
    North GA
    Followed. :)

xush likes this.
  15. bjelkeman

May 9, 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden
    So here it is. My Cortex Cloud name is : bjelkeman. This preset has needs a capture I have also published, the Harmonic Booster.

It has the following chain:

Adaptive Gate -> Pitch shifter (BEAD) -> Harmonic Booster (my capture) -> B3K -> Mesa M6 (factory capture) -> Darkglass 212 Neo -> Parametric EQ
    Side chain: Opto Comp -> Mesa 400+ Ch1 -> VT 810

The presets are named after songs they are put together to work with, which means that if you want to hear what I am aiming for in the mix you can check that out here: Songs and lyrics – Orbital Decay (a few are a bit cryptic ATD = Afraid to Die (not released yet, a few months out) and BBB (Bound by Blood, only on Spotify and YouTube).

Note that they were not recorded with the QC, as it wasn't out then, but this is an attempt at fitting the QC to the songs in a way that I want them to sound live. I haven't had a chance yet to try that for real with the band (as we are still waiting on vaccine). We play what we call 80s metal and the bass is not super distorted but often heavy and mid-forward.

IMG_2859.png

Last edited: Apr 17, 2021
    tombowlus and retroXvertigo like this.
  16. bjelkeman

May 9, 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I don’t normally use a compressor, but I think the X7 and the Parallax comp was useful on the low end. But I find it hard to figure out how to set it up with only low end as a reference when listening to it. How do you set yours?

17. scubaduba

scubaduba Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    I need some help.

I have bass connected to input 1. I have XLR connected to Output 1 running to my mixing board.

Looking the I/O settings I see the input meter moving when I play meaning the QC sees bass signal. But there is no output signal. No signal going to the mixing board.

If I connect earphones I hear nothing.

What am I doing wrong?

18. retroXvertigo

Apr 7, 2017
    Baltimore
    Have you selected an output at the end of your chain?

19. scubaduba

scubaduba Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    Yep. Output 1

It’s like the thing is muted.

20. retroXvertigo

Apr 7, 2017
    Baltimore
    I've got nothing then. That seems odd.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 13, 2021