Quad Cortex - Neural DSP

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Al Krow, Jan 10, 2020.

1. Fun With Dirt

Fun With Dirt

Mar 25, 2017
    North GA
    Wonderful! That was setup for my Geddy Lee Jazz. :) Glad to hear it.

Man... for guitar this thing is SICK. I set up a heavy crunch tone on an amp that I owned the real life version of for years. This is the first model of that amp that I can say "Yeah... that's it. That's the amp I had".

2. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Just started messing with the effects in the QC. Just the stuff that’s in there already. I haven’t really not liked any of them yet. Just haven’t spent much time with most of them. Just messed with the Soviet fuzz. Hellz yeah. That’s a pretty awesome model.

3. Fun With Dirt

Fun With Dirt

Mar 25, 2017
    North GA
    I'm not a big live effects guy. So, I'm pretty easy to please since I use them so lightly.

BrentSimons likes this.
  4. Fun With Dirt

Fun With Dirt

Mar 25, 2017
    North GA
    Actually rather surprised that a QC Club hadn't sprung up in here. Given the seeming anticipation, I half expected a QC Preorder Club. lol

BrentSimons likes this.
  5. jimfist

jimfist "Cling tenaciously to my buttocks!"

Mar 28, 2011
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I'm quite interested in the QC, but sitting back and waiting through the guinea pig phase.

6. Fun With Dirt

Fun With Dirt

Mar 25, 2017
    North GA
    Points for both the Powdered Toast Man avatar and the quote.

...but, do far, the guinea pig phase for me has been painless. I've seen some issues pop up but Neural is directly replacing versus the normal going through the dealer. ...which is awesome because demand far exceeded initial supply and the wait can be months.

7. scubaduba

scubaduba Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    I think this is it.

8. Fun With Dirt

Fun With Dirt

Mar 25, 2017
    North GA
    Kinda got that impression. lol. Was meaning the ones where there's an actual Club thread with member #'s and such. Less concerned about that. ...and, this thread has definitely served the same purpose. The one issue I have with the "club" threads is it invites fanboyism. You get a great post... then a "hell yeah! I joined the club!" post. ...and the "I joined the club" thread gets as much if not more attention than the great posts. lol

BrentSimons likes this.
  9. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    Same really based on some past experiences. I don’t expect any big hardware recalls, and given the nature of the device most anything could be changed via firmware assuming the basic hardware isn’t faulty (screen, switches, WiFi hardware, jacks, etc). The only semi-biggie I’ve read about thus far is that the included power supply doesn’t have a shield ground built in (this is tied to the signal ground via use with one of the audio or USB outputs), so when using with headphones only (meaning no connection to an outside grounded source) there can be noise (same noise you'd hear when not touching the strings on on an unshielded bass, as the shielding is not being grounded). Not sure if this is an issue when using with another power supply (like the Cioks DC7), but supposedly Neural is looking into using/offering a different supply (I assume 3-prong in the US) to fix this issue. Frankly this is an issue that can pop up with many preamp pedals that have headphone outputs IME (a common oversight), and could be easily worked around with a little DIY in the meantime (though I understand the desire for people paying this much to not want to have to DIY anything!)

Last edited: May 18, 2021
  10. jimfist

jimfist "Cling tenaciously to my buttocks!"

Mar 28, 2011
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I'm not against the notion of paying a premium further down the road, for a QC that's had a couple firmware and/or hardware updates. Everything I've heard so far indicates the QC is on a good track.

BrentSimons and retroXvertigo like this.
  11. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    Yeah there are naturally a number of people with very particular use-cases that are frustrated that certain things don’t work exactly as they visualized them (many of whom I’ve also seen learn reasonable work-arounds), but for the most part I’ve seen a fairly smooth release compared to many others I’ve watched play out. It seems like it will only have room to improve with future firmware and content tweaks and hopefully minimal hardware tweaks (which could drain resources quickly). I wouldn’t be surprised if the cost does increase at some point to take all that into account.

12. Gggg

Gggg

May 21, 2021
    I got my QC today!!

I'm looking for this old school, really deep sounding bass tone... any chance someone knows how to get there? :bassist:

This bass tone is really cool too:

thank you - any tips would be welcome

Fun With Dirt likes this.
  13. Fun With Dirt

Fun With Dirt

Mar 25, 2017
    North GA
    For that, I'd probably start on one of the fliptop models. There could even be a preset. Sad as it is, I didn't even dig through the presets on bass like I did with guitar. As good as the guitar factory presets have been, I wouldn't be surprised if there was a super awesome bass preset for that in there.

BrentSimons, retroXvertigo and Gggg like this.
  14. Jonahlane

Jonahlane

Mar 29, 2016
    Ordered mine through Sweetwater today... anyone have any idea how long I can expect to wait?

I’m most looking forward to seeing how faithfully it reproduces both the Tonehammer and the SVT. Ive been running this setup in parallel for a while with my Kemper, but potentially I’d be open to migrating purely to the QC.

BrentSimons and Fun With Dirt like this.
  15. Fun With Dirt

Fun With Dirt

Mar 25, 2017
    North GA
    Really tough to say. As it sits, it sounds like SW is part way through the orders on Jan 19, 2021. You could be looking at weeks or months. Just depends on how many orders came after Jan 19, 2021.

BrentSimons and Jonahlane like this.
  16. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    i preordered mine shortly before you started seeing demos drop for the QC all over on YT and other places a few months back. So for me, it took about 4 or 5 months I think. Others have waited a lot longer. Just one of those things. I wasn’t expecting it to be here any time soon. So when I got word it was coming, I was presently surprised. Not disappointed it took so long. Perspective. So to answer your question, no one is going to be able to tell you for sure.

And what else I can add as far as the models you named.....I’ve messed with a number of Ampeg models, factory or user captures, and they all sound amazing to me. Never used a kemper though. Have used helix extensively as well as fractal sorta minimally. And I think the amps in the QC sound wonderful to my ears. I’ve mostly been using another users AD200 capture or one of the factory Mesa models. They both sound phenomenal to me. The only “gripe” (not even really. I just need to learn how to use the unit and capturing features better) is that some of the user captures sound terrible. But that’s always been the case with every modeler I’ve tried. Always gotta tweak em to your setup. I think I just notice it a lot more with the QC simply because there isn’t as much available on the unit to date. Yet. I know this is one of the biggest things some are talking about. I just knew it was gonna be part of the whole deal of the QC for the first year or two of its release. COVID really jacked things up for a lot of things I think.

BrentSimons likes this.
  17. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Hey all. So I just got back from my first live setting with the QC and the board I shared earlier in the thread. It sounded really good at first at high volumes. But once the band started, i just couldn’t get it to hang with the presets I built. I was able to dial in some settings to where it sounded pretty good. But then I was twiddling too much and called it a day with the QC board and plugged in my normal go to. Still no negatives to report. Just gotta learn it more/better and get accustomed to it in a live setting. Took me some time with the helix’s too. But I’ll get there. And I’m sure it’ll be soon.

But it brings me to my query. We always run lines to a board so we can record. I usually run my DI from under my board. This is actually where I unplugged the QC, I was taking too long to figure it out plus my brain started not working haha those moments in practice or at gigs where your brain just shorts and you can’t think??....yeah, one of those moments. Point is!! I couldn’t figure out how to route a line to the DI out of the QC but also while still running it to my amp n cab. Hope I’m making sense in long winded post. Sorry all. But how do I do that?? I took to the manual but I couldn’t see where this was outlined and or I missed it.

How do I run the QC like a “regular pedal” in line on my board and to my amp but also, at the same time, run a DI out of the QC to a board. I know you can. I just couldn’t figure it out. I bet it’s simple as hell..... :facepalm:

Ryno1330 likes this.
  18. bjelkeman

bjelkeman Bass player wannabe

May 9, 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden
    If I understand what you need, something like this should work. I you run an amp and cab, the splitter should probably before the cab and run that to the amp and after the cab to the board so you get the IR too.

A084978E-A913-4709-BB21-1C3F6182BA55.jpeg

gregmon79 likes this.
  19. Bartok

Bartok

Jan 6, 2009
    Murcia (SPAIN)
    Hi, guys! I own a QC since two weeks ago, more or less... I’ve noticed some “basic” bass effects, like Chorus, for example, doesn’t sound very natural.

Before QC, I had the T-Rex Sweeper that offered a very beautiful chorus sound, with a lot of Low End Freqs...

These two models sound very “plain”, at leas IMHO...

Do you have noticed sonething similar?

Best!

20. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Ive noticed the same. Like it sounds good to me. But as far as modulation goes, they are “plain” sounding. To me anyway. But I’m not too worried about it as I’m sure more will be added over time plus other users captures. Just gotta give it some time. That’s how I keep looking at it anyway. I always keep that perspective in mind and I seem to never get let down. Now if it’s still like this a year our from now, I may be changing my tune. Not sure. But I still think the unit sounds phenomenal overall.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 24, 2021