1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Quad Cortex - Neural DSP

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Al Krow, Jan 10, 2020.

1. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

A device of this magnitude won't be a djent box.

I'm not trying to recommend that you pre-order. Just sayin' there's no reason to fear that it'll be one-dimensional. With all that horsepower and ability to d/l tonez, it should be able to do whatever you want, from Jamerson to Nolly to McCartney to Bootsy to beyond.

...and I probably shouldn't have only named bassists.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2020
  2. been_effected

been_effected

Mar 18, 2007
    Part of me kinda misses that it doesn't have an expression pedal...

3. Erik Asma

Erik Asma

Jul 20, 2019
    Netherlands
    Curious. Looks great.

Good thing it isn't to pretentious. With the ozymandias quote and all.

Zon master and Correlli like this.
  4. I'll be honest, I had to look that up.

aledeville and Erik Asma like this.
  5. Al Krow

Al Krow

Jan 15, 2018
    London
    Totally agree!

A couple of folk earlier in the thread mentioned how good the DG amps are and that they were far more versatile than just being good for metal. That is completely true: my goto gigging amps for the past couple of years have been a DG M900 v1 and more recently the DG AO900 and they've been used for anything but metal by me in that time.

6. Al Krow

Al Krow

Jan 15, 2018
    London
    That user interface (and enough processing power to launch a satellite) is what's going to sell it for me. Outstanding!

BrentSimons and fast slapper like this.
  7. Captura de Tela 2020-01-12 às 12.52.15.png
    Looking in this print I made while watching the video we can see some bass amp models that will be available...

Some Flip Top, Aguilar 750, Aguilar Tone Hammer...

keatz, Ryan L. and CyberSnyder like this.
  8. bjelkeman

bjelkeman Bass player wannabe

May 9, 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden
    An expression pedal built into it is another potential failure point. People with Helix with built in expression expressed that it had been an issue. Expressively. ;) (Seriously, no idea how frequent that is.) You can easily add two expression pedals of your choice to this, which I would argue is a better option.

9. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Ok. That's enough bass love for me to start to be interested.

WarwickThunder likes this.
  10. bjelkeman

May 9, 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden
    First batch of 1000 are apparently booked already.

BrentSimons likes this.
  11. Driven Crane

Driven Crane

May 30, 2014
    Interested.

12. Al Krow

Al Krow

Jan 15, 2018
    London
    First batch of 1,000 already sold within 48 hours of launch! => I'm guessing basic R&D costs already covered and they can invest with confidence in some really good sim software, which is only going to result in additional sales.

Wow - this thing really is going to take off!

bjelkeman likes this.
  13. I'd love to see them do a full software version. I don't really have the room or desire for another box on the desk but Neural DSP could massively benefit from some kind of shared ecosystem for their products.

14. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I’ve seriously considered, as of late, ditching my amp and pedalboard and going the Helix route, with one of my powered EV’s as a stage monitor.

Looks like I better hold off on the Helix for the time being....

15. BunchyMutt

BunchyMutt Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2014
    Nashville, TN
    Sounds like we’re in the same place

BrentSimons, Ryan L. and bjelkeman like this.
  16. WarwickThunder

WarwickThunder

Jun 10, 2013
    Allen, TX
    :drool:
    I’m this close to pull the trigger tomorrow morning! For what I’ve read on site and what i saw in the videos, this will be the best piece of tech a bassist can have ever!

17. bjelkeman

May 9, 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden
    It is quite entertaining how nuts guitar players have gone over this. Over at TGP there is a thread with a thousand post with 50 000 views. A lot of people are like “Who are these Neural people? They will never be able to deliver. This looks too good to be true.” Etc.

We who have seen Doug grow his companies and deliver on his creations are like: “This will be great. Trust us.” :D

Darkglass, Ba55Man1ac, keatz and 6 others like this.
  18. WarwickThunder

WarwickThunder

Jun 10, 2013
    Allen, TX
    anyone here listening to the youtube interview to Doug? it's prettye cool!

19. bjelkeman

May 9, 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Yeah, peaked at 785 or so people what I saw. Nice Q&A. I took a bunch of notes.

20. bjelkeman

May 9, 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Here are my notes of things I found notable. These were not all the questions and maybe not even the most important questions.
    • 2 prototypes at NAMM (10% of the capability on the software side) and they are halfway there with models (not all at visible at NAMM)
    • 48 kHz sampling and 44 kHz possible on USB
    • 4 cable method possible
    • The profile capture can learn multiband distortion & capable of multiple mic inputs
    • Manufacturing is still to be determined if it will be in-house or outsourced.
    • No hardware powers switch, but a UI driven power switch
    • Three switching modes: preset mode, within preset a scene mode (8 of those), stomp mode
    • Looking to do a hybrid mode (preset, stomp, scene) in the future, maybe
    • Chassi acts as heatsink, vents are for venting and for the WIFI.
    • Looper is on to do list, based on early feedback
    • The DSP allocation is still being considered how it should be done. Could you use all the DSPs on a single chain? (Maybe in the future)
    • Modelling clean amps will be included
    • Parallax (bass) will definitely be included.
    • Darkglass Ultra plugin is included if you have purchased the plugin
    • Other Darkglass products may happen
    • For now USB 3.0 (not USB C)
    • Updates of the firmware are expected once a month
    • Pitch shifting will be implemented (not sure when). Pitch shifting block should be possible to be controlled by a expression pedal
    • MIDI USB from DAW
    • Aiming for 2.5 ms or below roundtrip
    • Still deciding how to show processor load or make sure the DSPs don't get overloaded, limited blocks or maybe a processor visualisation.
    • Meters for levels and gain reduction on inputs and outputs
    • The current Neural DSP plugins are currently going to have to be ported to the QC by s/w engineers
    • Changing blocks in Stomp or Scene mode are instant (short delay on a preset)
    • Mic preamps are their own design
    • Reboot time is currently 30 sec
    • List of compatible power supplies will be provided.
    • Edit: I got the impression that the hardware is more or less ready to be manufactured.
    What did I misunderstand? :)

Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 16, 2021