Quad Cortex - Neural DSP

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Al Krow, Jan 10, 2020.

1. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    It does indeed work. Yes, I used three 8800 flex adapters. I didn’t play with the QC at all last night but I did power it and left it plugged in a few a few. Worked great. I still have an open port on my DC7 and I’m powering 5 other pedals and the percentage light on the bottom is on 40%. So so far, so good.

I was told by a pretty trusted source that he uses the DC7 to power his QC. And if this person can, I’m fine with it as well. Just needed those cables was all. I mean, the DC7 can output 6W.....I think it’ll be fine.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2021
  2. Jonahlane

Jonahlane

Mar 29, 2016
    Got mine in today! Wondering... I updated to 1.0.3 but I’m not seeing the AG Thor’s hammer (tonehammer)

do I need to do a factory reset?

3. smeet

smeet Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Looks like the price just went up... Now $1849.00 from Sweetwater. If you've already ordered, you locked in the previous price.

sunbeast likes this.
  4. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
  5. all_sixes

all_sixes

Mar 15, 2013
    Chico, CA
    I think they are referring to the list here: Quad Cortex Virtual Device List

It's weird, they have the first list and then they have another set of amps for bass and guitar after the first list. My guess with this is that the second list is a list of stuff they have in the works for upcoming release? It does say "Models to be added in subsequent free updates" after the first list, but before the line break -- kind of confusing formatting.

I'd really like to see how they do on that ADA MP-1 preamp (for guitar). That's a pretty darn good unit for classic high gain. The bass amps listed there are also exiting, obviously.

BrentSimons and xush like this.
  6. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    yeah, that list was from Sept 2020, some of those devices didn't make it to the unit. You have to go by the Manual version 1.0.2 for what's really included on the unit.

I don't have mine yet, and I never looked at that old list since it's obsolete and inaccurate. They probably should archive it or take it down. I've studied the present manual to try to be up to speed when my unit eventually arrives

Based on the way the manual is formatted now, I'd say the divisions of amps into 2 sections was probably Captures vs Models. The latest iteration of the manual makes the distinction more clear than that old/initial list

KUETSUM and BrentSimons like this.
  7. hbabels

hbabels Supporting Member

Jul 26, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    That sounds really good !

Fun With Dirt likes this.
  8. Fun With Dirt

Fun With Dirt

Mar 25, 2017
    North GA
    Thank you! This is the second track I've done (first was on guitar) and both the people getting the tracks together to mix them have said they didn't even have to play with it (EQ, etc) to have it sit in the mix. This isn't that mix. This is just me playing over the track I was provided and I just adjusted levels a touch.

gravesbass likes this.
  9. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Can we capture EQ units?? I’m using a whirlwind 10 band for a preamp and I wanna capture that for my “preamp”. I don’t see why not. But I figured I’d try to start a short discussion about it.....

10. archisland

archisland

Mar 5, 2016
    Stockholm
    Shouldn’t be a problem at all! That is, after all what a preamp is, essentially :)

gregmon79 likes this.
  11. JohnThomasson

JohnThomasson Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, DR Strings, Source Audio,& Fishman
    I used mine on the today show that aired on Friday.
    Here are a couple of clips. You will need headphones to really hear it. Sorry that there is so much talking before each song.
    Wine, Beer, Whiskey
    Modern Vintage MVP
    My capture of Universal Audio's SVT default setting and my capture of my zvex box of rocks.
    Little Big Town performs ‘Wine, Beer, Whiskey’ on TODAY

Pontoon
    Same SVT and I am using my future impact and 3 leaf octabrve on the effects loops. BFR Passive Stingray
    Little Big Town performs ‘Pontoon’ on TODAY

Next to You
    Same SVT capture and Modern Vintage P
    Little Big Town performs ‘Next to You’ on TODAY

Girl Crush
    Same SVT capture and Moolon Jazz
    Watch Little Big Town perform their hit ‘Girl Crush’ on TODAY

Here is the board at it's current state. The Grace Audio Alix is for my upright.

IMG_0298.jpeg

I just recorded 4 more songs this week in the studio with Little Big Town and I used the SVT on 3 and the built-in fliptop 6464 on one that needed some bass break up, but not full on distortion. That character will hopefully be a huge part of the track.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2021
    revd, redstrand, BrentSimons and 4 others like this.
  12. 1983L2000

1983L2000

Jun 1, 2010
    Switzerland
    Like the songs, love the tone. How do you like your QC and what would you have used previously (if I may ask)?

13. Ryno1330

Ryno1330 Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2020
    Very cool - thanks for sharing. Me and the fam are fans - didn't know you posted here. And now I get to see if I can get my quad cortex sounding that good.

14. TimothyGroovy

TimothyGroovy Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 3, 2000
    Hong Kong
    Owner: Uni••Sound Endorsing Artist: Sadowsky Guitars, LaBella Strings, Bergantino Audio Systems
    Used mine for few sets of TV show as well. Love it!

LowEndGroover and kevk like this.
  15. LowEndGroover

LowEndGroover Gold Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2012
    Long Island
    Post the clips!!! Would love to see how Sadowsky and the QC play nice together. Lol

16. JohnThomasson

JohnThomasson Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, DR Strings, Source Audio,& Fishman
    Thank you. I used a sound sculpture 8f (analog, but digitally controlled switcher) to route everything H9, Future impact, 3 leaf Octavbre, 3leaf proton, omnicabsim, and sometimes an aftershock. That was all in my tech's world and I controlled it with an RJM mastermind LT. All of that into a Noble DI.

The QC seems cheap when you add all of that up. I am a little worried about touring without a backup unit, but I still have a DI in case the QC dies. They have already gone up in price and the wait is probably too long to count on having a backup for touring this year.

I really love the QC. It's so convenient. It's nice to be able to put noise gates around the chain and not assign them to a switch. My last setup had some noisy pedals around certain lights.
    I use two signals out of it. One that runs through the amps and effects on channel one, and I have a totally clean one on the bottom row that the singers get. Our monitor guy can sculpt the clean one out for them. The dirty line is what is used at the front of house or TV and it is what the musicians hear.
    I have a bunch of questions that are specific to using two lines on bass with it. Trying to keep both signals lined up for latency and phase is a pain if I wanted to change amps or captures. I had a kemper at one point and they have a max latency setting where all presets have the same latency.
    The tuner drives me crazy. I hope they eventually have a setting where the tap tempo goes away if you won't use it and then make the tuner easier to turn on. I get why they have the delay so you don't accidentally mute when you are tapping out a tempo, but bass players don't use it much. It would be a nice option. I had some issues with the fx loop coming on when I had a program change, but I think it is better in 1.03. I haven't had much of a chance to test it. I wish it booted up a little quicker.

17. TimothyGroovy

Aug 3, 2000
    Hong Kong
    Owner: Uni••Sound Endorsing Artist: Sadowsky Guitars, LaBella Strings, Bergantino Audio Systems
    Agreed on the Tuner/Tap Tempo, wish we can assign that switch without tap tempo and get the tuner on as quick as user wanted.

18. scubaduba

scubaduba Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    I’ve been an analogue/tube guy forever but wow, the QC delivers. To be fair I’m using tube devices I’ve captured with surprising realism so still the tubey tone.

This morning in a large auditorium I am using just the QC. No pedal board and no extra pedals. My simple chain today is compressor —> WRA Goliath tube preamp neural capture —> a little reverb —> EP Booster neural capture (for slight mid song boost) —> Lightning Boy DI Vision DI neural capture. I’m very surprised and pleased.

36310FD1-0C26-4A3B-8765-76C55A62A264.jpeg

19. TimothyGroovy

Aug 3, 2000
    Hong Kong
    One of the reasons I go for QC is totally because I gave up on using TUBE gears in live for few years already while I miss playing with those gears, been touring a lot and you just can't make sure every venues you are going to perform providing clean power for your tube devices or stage lighting setup just interference with the bass hence you got plenty of noise. In real world, MD, sound enginner and the band won't actually care what you're using and how much your tube devices costs if there is noise.

I had all the tubes DI in the studio like Jule Monique, Noble and some other DIs, QC just captured all those tubes flavour really well and I actually feel that tubey feeling from the captures but you don't have to deal with any noises (neglect the latest ground problem that people bring up from that original adapter) so far I'm happy and pleased with the unit for my application.

gravesbass, kevk, redstrand and 2 others like this.
  20. scubaduba

scubaduba Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    Makes sense. What tube devices have you captured?

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021