1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Quad Cortex - Neural DSP

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Al Krow, Jan 10, 2020.

1. RhynoRock

RhynoRock

Dec 19, 2012
    Fredonia, NY
    Some really great points being made here. Darkglass definitely has a rep to maintain, but I wonder if the compressor capabilities are high on their priority list when compared to everything else the device would be capable of?

2. jimfist

jimfist "Cling tenaciously to my buttocks!"

Mar 28, 2011
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I guess I'll just keep an eye on this and wait for it to mature a bit. It's not expected to be available for quite a few months, and then there's the waiting past the initial run phase while things get sorted out. Probably by this time next year we'll all have a much better grip on things. Still, this looks like an exciting pedal, and one with a work flow, form factor and size that is very appealing.

jrick7, BrentSimons and Al Krow like this.
  3. been_effected

been_effected

Mar 18, 2007
    Agreed. I'm super excited about it and its potential, but like I said earlier, it's right up the alley of what my Helix does for me already. I'd love some time for the platform to mature, for more blocks to be created and released, and to see where it ends up.

I'm even more excited that it's Doug and Darkglass. I'm trusting bass players will be well catered for.

BrentSimons likes this.
  4. Al Krow

Al Krow

Jan 15, 2018
    London
    One of its big advantages / rationale for the price hike over Helix seems to be it ability to profile. But in practice, how important is that going be if we are already happy with the tone from our amps and cabs?

BrentSimons likes this.
  5. Cuzzie

Cuzzie Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2016
    You can profile your amp and cab and not use them if you are going into a PA

DrMole, BrentSimons and Fuzzbass like this.
  6. Profiling is a much bigger deal in the guitar world, particularly among people who take advantage of re-amping dry tracks. IMO it isn't all that important if you're already happy with your amp/cab sound. You'd just profile the rig you have for the DI out.

7. 4bluestrings

4bluestrings Supporting Member

Jan 4, 2019
    Hartford Area, CT
    I ordered it. I use Parallax and their Darkglass plugin... they are amazing and now it'll be all in a pedal plus more? I already have a gigboard... might have to sell that one. But if I follow through with the rest of the payment, then that means no Kiesel Thanos bass, but that is a chat for another thread

BrentSimons and bjelkeman like this.
  8. But will it come in different colors? That's what I really want to know!

;):bassist::hyper:

9. Al Krow

Al Krow

Jan 15, 2018
    London
    Just seen that Zoom have announced a touch screen multi fx (G11, currently guitar focused but knowing Zoom, the B11 won't be far behind).

Be interesting to see how long Helix can hold off competition from Zoom below and Quad Core above in providing a similar interface.

BrentSimons likes this.
  10. Zon master

Zon master

May 10, 2017
    The Helix UI is already a no-brainer to use and simple to figure out. I'm more interested in how the bass sounds with the Neural Cortex

WarwickThunder likes this.
  11. ZachM

ZachM

Nov 19, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    I definitely don't imagine it to be common, but I have a use case for this - my wife is an artist and we play together, but she doesn't like dealing with her pedalboard so I integrated her pedals into my board so she doesn't have to mess with it. So that would be a great feature for me at least :)

Now, to see if I can somehow justify this by September, wish me luck

bjelkeman likes this.
  12. Cuzzie

Cuzzie Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2016
    This is one situation, but if course you can imagine the guitarist/bass guitarist with more than one instrument-it can be plugged in and ready to go without a cable changeover, or like will come out for the instrumentalist vocalist, the Mic can go through for effects

bjelkeman likes this.
  13. been_effected

been_effected

Mar 18, 2007
    This.

Zon master likes this.
  14. bjelkeman

bjelkeman Bass player wannabe

May 9, 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I think the HX Stomp was quite ok. But I wasn’t using it enough to make changes that I didn’t remember how to handle the UI.

I am looking forward to having the “real” B7KU and thr Parallax on a really simple UI.

15. Damn what do you think they used to make the bass sound like that?

16. been_effected

been_effected

Mar 18, 2007
    Honestly? Sounds like a synth.

I kid. I'd bet there'd be a B7K, some pretty hefty compression, and possibly a Dingwall NG2/3

17. EMoneySC2

EMoneySC2 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Minneapolis, MN
    Oof. The Quad Cortex is really giving me a tough time with the "heavy analog rig" VS "tiny digital rig" debate in my head.

bjelkeman likes this.
  18. jesjoo

jesjoo

Jun 30, 2015
    This probably has been mentioned in some thread but maybe further down the line Neural will release Dual Cortex or something. Just like there is Helix and there is HX Stomp.

19. Doug seems like he's in it to win it. I bet there'll be a rack version down the line. He's got a creative mind, and a strong business sense.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2020
    Darkglass and jrick7 like this.
  20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 17, 2021