1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Quad Cortex - Neural DSP

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Al Krow, Jan 10, 2020.

1. bjelkeman

bjelkeman Bass player wannabe

May 9, 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden
    His strong business sense has led to him telling me that this is what made him avoid rack versions of the Darkglass products until now. Too small market.

2. bjelkeman

May 9, 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Actually. That man be a lie. I probably have heard or read him say it... somewhere. :)

3. jimfist

jimfist "Cling tenaciously to my buttocks!"

Mar 28, 2011
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I like that I can process my bass and vocal mic through just one pedal, and it's pretty small considering all the switches. Yes, I could do the same with a Helix, but it's a pretty large pedal...I had to draw the line somewhere.

I'm not on the pre-order list, and since the pedal isn't shipping until September 2020, the prospect of a purchase is far away, not to mention with coming to grips with the price. It is an exciting pedal that seems to have done an incredible job of providing loads of function with a modern, easy-to-use touch screen for programming, and in a such a small pedal.

As a bassist, I'm really only hoping for a handful of key tone shaping and dynamics features (I'm sure it will deliver) and thus not hung up on needing a gazillion guitar amps to choose from. That Darkglass is a key developer of the pedal, what more could bassists ask for? Line 6 has done a commendable job of accommodating bassists, and IMO the QuadCortex kicks this up a notch further.

BrentSimons, jrick7 and Al Krow like this.
  4. wow, impressive. I think this cortex thing is best suited to guitarists. No bass demos at NAMM, which I guess you'd be a bit frustrated... Count me out.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2020
  5. jimfist

Mar 28, 2011
    Boston, MA (USA)
    There most definitely will be bass amps in the Quad Cortex (I've seen video where the touch screen Amp list has 2 categories: guitar & bass), but true, nothing demonstrated that at NAMM. I think they realize that the pedal can't be a djent-only machine for guitarists and Nolly idols. Let's hope not. It's still going to be a while in development. Patiently waiting to see what surfaces.

son_of_mogh and BrentSimons like this.
  6. bjelkeman

May 9, 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I have the Darkglass Ultra plugin already, so I’ll get that. They have said the Parallax will be on the QC. Lots of effects and cabs/IRs.

So I’m all set. I know that doesn’t apply to everyone else, but it is a good start. One should consider that the Darkglass B7K and VMT are not only capable of high gain/distortion, but really good at clean or just a bit of breakup.

On top of that there will be more bass amp profiles and models. I mean, Doug is a bass player. I don’t think he will drop the ball on that.

7. jimfist

Mar 28, 2011
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I saw a facebook post today from someone who goes by the screen name Captain Swank. He's claiming this initial offering for bassists on the QuadCortex:

Bass Amps

AG D750: Aguilar DB 750
    AG Thor’s Hammer 500: Aguilar Tone Hammer 500
    Bass Flip-top: Ampeg B-15
    Bass Super Valve: Ampeg SVT-VR
    California Bass 400: Mesa Bass 400
    G400K: Gallien-Krueger 400RB ?
    Sonn Mod T: Sunn Model T

Distortion: Bass

AG Thor Hammer DI: Aguilar Tone Hammer DI
    Animate Fuzz: Human Gear Animato ?
    Brass Matters: Malekko B:Assmaster / Maestro Brassmaster
    Doug’s Bass 3K: Darkglass Microtubes B3K
    Doug’s Vintage: Darkglass Vintage Microtubes ?
    MRXM 80: MXR M80 Bass DI+
    Soviet Fuzz Pi: Sovtek Big Muff Pi
    Tech Bass: Tech 21 Sansamp Bass Driver DI ?

Compressor

160 Comp
    670 Comp
    Distressed Comp
    Legendary 87
    Opto 2A Comp
    Rupert 2254 Comp
    Solid State Comp

I only posted this part of his list since this is what I'd be looking for first and foremost. If all of these are the starting point, then I need not worry further about bassists being accommodated. There's also a lot of guitar amps and other effects that look like solid, standard stuff for modelers of this caliber.

8. DeltaPhoenix

DeltaPhoenix Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Gainesville,FL
    Can you put a link up to the post or grab a screenshot? I am interested in all of the other fx as well.

9. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    That's a good lineup.

10. jimfist

Mar 28, 2011
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Here's a screenshot. If you're on FB, you can just look up the Quad Cortex page shown and locate the post. There aren't a lot to wade through. The list of stuff is really pretty long.

upload_2020-1-23_17-2-7.png

BrentSimons and DeltaPhoenix like this.
  11. jimfist

Mar 28, 2011
    Boston, MA (USA)
  12. RhynoRock

RhynoRock

Dec 19, 2012
    Fredonia, NY
    I like what I see so far, anxious for a proper demo to hear how it sounds. I think it needs a chrome grab bar too, right in the middle.

BrentSimons likes this.
  13. Nick von Nick

Nick von Nick Supporting Member

Oct 29, 2014
    NY
    I was honestly going to snag a mixer rack case (probably a 4U x 10U or similar) and mount the Quad Cortex on the mixer shelf part. That way I can have my power conditioner/amp/etc in the body of the case and use an external MIDI controller to manage everything effects-wise This has honestly been a dream of mine for a while as is, so I having a tool like this that makes the whole thing possible is totally worth the pre-order and the months of fantasizing!
    ~NVN

14. juggahnaught

juggahnaught

Feb 11, 2018
    Seattle, WA
    This is honestly pretty awesome - it's great to see that technology is pushing music forward at such an accelerated rate. Not gonna lie, I'd love to try one of these out.

Maybe one day I'll buy one, but I'm definitely not on the preorder train - as an owner of a Line 6 Helix, I'd want to wait until September arrives to see whether the purchase is worth it or not; all of these existing products have software update schedules and eight months might bring a lot to the table. (I'm still hoping for polyphonic tracking on the Helix - that for me would be huge. That or a Variax bass pickup like the Roland G3KB - I'd do that too.)

I know that it's got amazing hardware specs - admittedly, some of the marketing is a little goofy (biomimetic AI? machine learning? c'mon, guys, skip the buzzwords) but given that the current line of DSP hasn't really been exhausted yet, I find myself wondering how much of that processing power is actually for DSP and how much of it is dedicated to UI management, WiFi, etc, as it's essentially a computer with DSP chips and hardware controllers. (I didn't watch the Q&A so maybe this was covered, but marketing does have a tendency to take facts out of context for marketing purposes.)

Zon master likes this.
  15. bjelkeman

May 9, 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden
    The QC also has dual ARM processors, which I believe drive things like the UI. You don’t use the DSPs for that. The buzzwords are buzzwords, but describe real things the product does. It uses machine learning algorithms and neural networks to do the capture, as I understand it, as an example.

juggahnaught and Darkglass like this.
  16. Darkglass

Darkglass Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 10, 2008
    Helsinki, Finland
    Douglas Castro, Founder: darkglass.com
    That's correct.

One of the ARMs is used for the UI and running embedded linux which connects all of the peripherals to the DSPs.
    The spare ARM is used for USB audio and image processing when Neural Capturing (since the Master ARM is handling data transfer between all 4 SHARCs when training the neural net).

17. bjelkeman

May 9, 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden
  18. bjelkeman

May 9, 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden
    From here: Quad Cortex Virtual Device List - Neural DSP Technologies

List of bass amps:
    1. Bass Super Valve Ampeg® SVT®
    2. California Bass 400 Mesa Boogie® Bass 400+®
    3. Bass Flip-top Ch 64’ Ampeg® B15 – 1964 Channel
    4. Bass Flip-top Ch 66′ Ampeg® B15 – 1966 Channel
    5. Bass Flip-top Patch Ampeg® B15 – Jumped
    6. G400K Gallien Krueger® 400RB®
    7. British Bass 50 Bright: Marshall® Super Bass® 50 Bright
    8. British Bass 50 Normal: Marshall® Super Bass® 50 Normal
    9. British Bass 50 Patch: Marshall® Super Bass® 50 Jumpered
    List of bass cabs:

1. 410 Bass CL = Ampeg® SVT-410HE 4×10 bass cabinet (not sure what speakers they use)
    2. D410C Darkglass® = Darkglass® D410C loaded with custom Eminence® ceramic drivers
    Bass overdrives:
    1. Darkglass® Microtubes B3K®
    2. Darkglass® Vintage Microtubes®
    3. BDDI: Tech 21® Bass Driver DI®
    4. Soviet Fuzz: EHX® Russian Big Muff®
    5. Animate Fuzz: Human Gear® Animato®
    6. Brass Matters: Maestro® Brass Master®
    Coming later

1. AG Thor’s Hammer 500 Aguilar® Tone Hammer 500®
    2. AG D750B Aguilar® DB 751®
    3. Bass 360: Acoustic® 360

19. jimfist

Mar 28, 2011
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Looks like a great starting point! Over the last year, I've discovered how good the Marshall amps can be for bass...a different tone, but they really do mix well. Which Marshall cabs will be available to pair well with the Superbass?

Also, is the compressor list holding steady per the original list? Any surprises there? Can't wait for a Distressor emulation.

20. Bassique

Bassique

Feb 25, 2015
    Finland
    No Parallax on that list?

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 17, 2021