Quad Cortex worth the money?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Peeved T-40, Jun 30, 2022.

1. Peeved T-40

Peeved T-40

Jan 12, 2021
    I don't have a lot of pedals and the ones I do have are fairly cheep. I wanted to upgrade to something more professional that I can properly record with.

The Quad Cortex looks like a pretty cool piece of hardware but it's nearly $2,000. The question it leaves me with is, does it have $2,000 worth of effects built in?

I know about the whole capture thing it does but as someone with no gear that I really want to capture or access to any, I'll be relying mostly on what it comes with.

I also know you can download other people's captures but i'm sure that's hit and miss. If I do buy it, i'd like to feel like it's worth money out of the box, not just a platform that i'll have to add a bunch of stuff too

2. Matt Dean

Matt Dean Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    SF (North) Bay Area
    Don’t feed the troll… reported to the moderators.

Regarding your original question, for some the answer is yes. I probably have $2000 invested in my pedal board. If I wasn’t averse to menus, I’d probably give the quad core a go.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2022
  3. Peeved T-40

Peeved T-40

Jan 12, 2021
    reported me or him?

Matt Dean likes this.
  4. Smurf-o-Deth

Smurf-o-Deth Nothing to fret over. Supporting Member

Oct 2, 2007
    The state of denial.
    You weren’t trolling, so I’d bet dollars to dirt, not you. Asking for effects advice in the effects forum is…sort of the point. Disparaging the use of effects? Not so much the point.

Waltsdog and Matt Dean like this.
  5. Matt Dean

Jan 2, 2007
    SF (North) Bay Area
    The troll… you asked a legit question, which I answered.

6. Peeved T-40

Peeved T-40

Jan 12, 2021
    just curious, how many effects did that $2,000 get you?

7. To be fair he asked about RECORDING , 99% of the time bass is DI then sent to outboard equipment or re-amped so YA a direct DI is the way to go then use all the FX you want , not exactly a troll kids just proper recording technique. If you feel you need $2000 worth of FX to get YOUR SOUND then so be it , I would start with an 1176LN comp. 1st.

Bald-N-Bassy likes this.
  8. Matt Dean

Jan 2, 2007
    SF (North) Bay Area
    This is actually more than $2K worth of gear.

D7468DB6-6958-4A15-9D2C-ED101C4F1630.jpeg

9. Peeved T-40

Peeved T-40

Jan 12, 2021
    looks reasonably expansive

Matt Dean likes this.
  10. Matt Dean

Jan 2, 2007
    SF (North) Bay Area
    But both boards sound absolutely killer for their specific assignments.

I’ve been using effects in bands for several decades.

11. Killer. What is the effect on the top right of the image? Grey box with lots of knobs and switches?

12. Scott Bland

Scott Bland Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2020
    A lot of people like the fractal fm3 and Helix units. I have a fm3 and had a helix. They are both very clean and have insane options to create stuff.
    I dont use either for live playing. Just a trickfish trilobite preamp which is insane clear.

13. juggahnaught

juggahnaught

Feb 11, 2018
    Seattle, WA
    It's probably worth it, yeah. Especially if yoi factor in the amp modeling and not just the effects, plus the routing options. I don't own a Quad Cortex - I have a Helix - but I definitely think it's worth the.price. Something equivalent would mean a MIDI brain, two Boss ES-8s, various amps and cabs, plus effects.

You may not be aware that modern equipment like the Helix and the Quad Cortex function as USB audio interfaces with multiple inputs so you can capture the raw, unprocessed signal alongside the effected signal specifically for reamping. You also may or may not be aware that modern equipment like a Quad Cortex could actually be used in place of dedicated outboard equipment, allowing someone to reamp a signal using just the hardware. Finally, you may or may not be aware that some offerings have an effects plugin that can run in the DAW of your choice for added flexibility inside the same ecosystem for software reamping. (Helix has Helix Native, a VST plugin that allows signal editing like a Helix.)

So while you are correct that signals are often post-processed, your answer still provides little value to the OP considering what the hardware is capable of.

Edit: phone typos.

MDBass and jimfist like this.
  14. Smurf-o-Deth

Smurf-o-Deth Nothing to fret over. Supporting Member

Oct 2, 2007
    The state of denial.
    To me, the most impressive part of the Quad Cortex is its ability to profile other effects, and if you aren’t making use of that feature, I don’t see anywhere close to $2000 worth of value in it, especially with the sluggish development and implementation of promised features it has had thus far.

15. Peeved T-40

Peeved T-40

Jan 12, 2021
    to be fair, you can make use of other peoples captures. Like i said in my op, i'm sure it's hit and miss but still, not a totally wasted feature

16. Peeved T-40

Peeved T-40

Jan 12, 2021
    Any idea how well it works as an interface? I haven't been able to find a lot of information on that front. Most people seem to run it into a dedicated interface.

17. juggahnaught

juggahnaught

Feb 11, 2018
    Seattle, WA
    No. I don't own a Quad Cortex, but I do own an amp modeler (a Line 6 Helix). I generally think that amp modelers are worth their asking price, but I don't have specific information about the Quad Cortex as I don't own one. That said, I will maintain my original answer - I'm sure it has $2000 worth of effects built in, based on their offering list: Quad Cortex Virtual Device List. Whether it's worth purchasing depends on the player and their needs.

18. Matt Dean

Jan 2, 2007
    SF (North) Bay Area
    That is a Night Owl Parabellum Drive. It’s a collaboration between Seth from Night Owl and Nick from Dunwich Amplification.

19. furym

furym

Aug 31, 2014
    Carthage, NC
    @IvanBassist has put out a few YouTube videos and is using the quad cortex here recently. Maybe he can chime in here.

IvanBassist and Waltsdog like this.
  20. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Columbia, MD Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    For guitar, yes. For bass, maybe.

wheelsup247 likes this.