1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Quad Slapping technique

Discussion in 'Rockabilly [DB]' started by MattStonewall, Dec 12, 2018.

1. MattStonewall

MattStonewall

Jan 7, 2014
    Virginia
    Besides a guy named Nicolas Dubouchet I have not seen any other video's or discussion of this technique on YouTube or elsewhere. Looks like he has his own take on it, a drag version, and a different technique used by Milt.

Does anyone on have any tips or different approach than what is available? I can throw a quad slap in here and there at my current ability but not at a fast tempo.

dhergert likes this.
  2. dhergert

dhergert Gold Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2018
    Blue Zone, California
    [watching intently for responses]
    :wideyed:

MattStonewall and Hoyt like this.
  3. Reedt2000

Reedt2000 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey

I know nothing about it but here's some videos. Looks like there are a couple ways to get a similar effect

4. dhergert

Jan 17, 2018
    Blue Zone, California
    Thank you! These, and especially the first one, have helped me a lot!

MattStonewall, Hoyt and Reedt2000 like this.
  5. jasonrp

jasonrp

Feb 19, 2015
    vt
    They way I do it is like dribbling a ball.
    Palm side of hand - Heel, Knuckles, middle knuckles, tips. Start slow and keep your wrist loose BUT practice it on scales or some other sort of bassline. Just doing it on single notes doesn't prepare you for doing it during a song

Two things I've noticed: When you're going very fast, (once you learn this) you may do this accidently when you are trying to do a drag triple. IMO, once you get the loose wrist thing down it's easier than a triplet because you have to control the triplet.

The wrist roll one hurts LIKE HELL if you've ever broken bones in your hand. I tried it once....never again

BONUS: Here's another way to get fast triplets or quads on open notes
    TRIPLET
    1 - slap/snap open note E,A,D,or G
    2- slap with the fingers of your LEFT hand by opening it up and closing it fast on the strings
    3- slap/snap with your right hand on the next note you want

QUAD
    1- slap/snap open note
    2- slap with LEFT hand fingers
    3- Slap slap/snap with your right hand (like the classic bluegrass slap) This will sound like a drumroll at high speeds

If you can close your fingers on your thumb tip hard enough to make a sort of clap sound, you can do this slap. A ring on your hand can help unless you can't play while wearing a ring (like me)

Practice going from one open string to the next (A,E,A,E) Start slow to get the feel and then speed up

MattStonewall likes this.
  6. jasonrp

jasonrp

Feb 19, 2015
    vt
    BTW: You can go to other note with that trick, it just takes practice. I learned Folsom Prison in F but any band I've ever played with plays it in E. I'll alternate from the bluegrass slap to the quad going from E to B like the guy in the last video does using the left and right hand slap style (thank you Mr. Hatton)

If you can read sheet music, I can't say enough about Johnny Hatton's slap book and videos. It's my slap style bible

7. dhergert

Jan 17, 2018
    Blue Zone, California
    Thank you Jason!!!

As you mention, I also was noticing last night that the quad movement does seem easier to do on the fly than the triple... For my hand/wrist -- so far -- it's more of a complete hand movement. I'm starting with the palm, flipping a quick wrist circle around to the thumb, then tilt slightly to the fingers and then with the same fingers drag out the note. 4 full beats, where for the triple I usually end up with a fraction of a rest somewhere.

My triples are pretty well polished and ready for use since I've been doing them since early this year; the quads being new from last night are going to need similar polish, but I already feel the latent learning happening. And I love that complete hand movement feeling, it's very reassuring.

As I'm doing this it strikes me that there are going to be a number of different slap movements to accomplish quads, and similarly there must also be a number of different slap movements for triples that I've never tried yet. I'm heavily influenced by the subtleties of bluegrass with my slaps, so I'll need to grow with that into a little more showmanship as I go. These other slap movements may help with that.

Thanks again Jason and all. Judging from my excitement at working on this, I guess I was really ready to move into this territory!

Edit: Oh, and with this new movement, my wrist does get tired... Gonna get some stronger muscles there.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2018
  8. jasonrp

jasonrp

Feb 19, 2015
    vt
    Think of triples as 1/4 notes with 3 to the beat: 1,2,3-2,2,3,-3,2,3,-423
    Quads are 16th- 1-e-and-a-2-e-and-a-3-e-and-a-4-e-and-a

Make sense?

dhergert likes this.
  9. dhergert

Jan 17, 2018
    Blue Zone, California
    Yes, it does!

So just trying the quads out again, I need to work on clarity... It's too easy to speed up and make mud. Also, transitioning from slap to walking bass lines needs to be smoother for me, I'm used to making this transition in my sleep with triples, have to think about it with quads.

This is FUN!

I love adding tools to my bass tool kit!!!

10. MattStonewall

MattStonewall

Jan 7, 2014
    Virginia
    The player with the glasses in 2nd video posted by Reedt2000 seems like he has a solid technique with the most hand movement economy. My only problem with the others is I wonder if rolling the wrist like that would be bad for you later in life?

11. DukeCC

DukeCC

Nov 4, 2016
    Indiana
    That's my take on this as well. I need to get on track to do the quad. But I want to do it economically.

I'm getting a new bass that might play a little better, so the pressure is on me to get up to snuff! lol

Excellent responses--thanks from me as well!

12. MattStonewall

MattStonewall

Jan 7, 2014
    Virginia

DukeCC likes this.
  13. basshawk

basshawk

Dec 18, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    The legandary Milton Hinton was one of the pioneers of this technique...

14. dhergert

Jan 17, 2018
    Blue Zone, California
    Just re-visiting this thread... I've started catching myself almost unconsciously floating back and forth between triplets and quads over the last few weeks and it's really getting fun. Thanks to all who have contributed here!

Somehow I had missed the Milt Hinton demo, great stuff. What a touch!

MattStonewall and Hoyt like this.
  15. MattStonewall

MattStonewall

Jan 7, 2014
    Virginia
    I would love to see some more vids created and posted about this with different approaches explained. I'm surprised Djorjie has never posted any advanced technique videos. I recently acquired Slapology by Nicolas and while it was a very good DVD I wish it had covered more about all his different quad Slap techniques.

Hoyt likes this.
  16. That, and trying to process how a lefty does anything is impossible for me

dhergert likes this.
  17. dhergert

Jan 17, 2018
    Blue Zone, California
    Yea, I was also definitely disoriented trying to figure out what he was doing there. He did it extremely well, but my right-handed mind wants to say backwards.

My triplet and quad efforts have accidentally evolved close to emulating Milt's, often incorporating slaps among "clicks" where I literally hit the fingerboard with my 4-fingertips just before the pizz strokes... It's sort of a light-sounding, more subtle slap/tap technique compared to some techniques with more definite slaps and pulls-of-strings, and much more natural for my hand. I don't mind it being a little different, it's what I need for the roots mix I tend to play, supporting the rhythm a little more dynamically but not in-your-face.

Hoyt likes this.
  18. I’m very much the opposite. I usually play in loud bands with drummers, so I need to learn how to be a little more pronounced.

That said, I haven’t found much use for quads of any type. 99% of what I play only calls for singles, doubles, triplets, or drag triplets. It’d be a nice trick to have in my bag though.

dhergert likes this.
  19. dhergert

Jan 17, 2018
    Blue Zone, California
    In the acoustic circles I play with, jamming is a big thing and that's where I play double bass the most, every week or two, usually for 2 to 3 hour sessions each time. The primarily acoustic bands I play with are not super active on stage this year... Between the 4 bands, maybe a gig every month or every other month. My main band is focused on releasing our 4th album this year so that's where most of our attention is currently.

Judging from audience feedback, I really don't think people notice the difference between triplets and quads much unless I'm amped, and I rarely amp unless I'm on stage where I need the amp to hear or be heard. Amping in an acoustic jam is sort of in bad taste, although I do freely suggest that I'll plug in if people aren't adjusting their volume appropriately; usually that takes care of it.

So while I'll flip between triplets and quads often just to occupy my mind, triplets are foundational for me so far... I'll focus on using quads primarily either for special effects or for breaks. Quads are more complex to listen to and a carefully listening audience gets a kick out of them, but if the audience is not focused or if the sound mix isn't good, they'll miss quads completely. Also quads can change the swing of a song if desired, but quads can also change the swing of a song if not desired, so I try not to overdo them. Keep them special.

Hoyt likes this.
  20. Attempts one and two...

Maybe I’m misunderstanding what singles, doubles, triplets, drag triplets, and quads actually are?

Excuse the bed-head. This was early Sunday morning.

Keith Rawlings and Joshua like this.