Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Eric Cioe, Jan 4, 2006.

1. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    Way, way cool album.

I've always liked the Who (saw them last time they were out, with Pino), but sticked mostly to the stuff on the radio. Quadrophenia might just be the best "concept" album out there. Far, far better than the Wall.

Of course, the bass playing is spectactual, but the drumming really blew me away. I guess I never much noticed the Loon before.
  2. BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    I've been wanting to buy this album, but I can't seem to find it. Thanks for the mini-review though. So far my favourite album by The Who is 'Who's Next'. Great band.

3. Great stuff. Speaking of 70s staples, I was cranking Queen's News of the world earlier- awesome drums, supremely subtle(like this hijack :ninja: )bass.
  4. nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    It's an odd album - they really turned the Ox loose on it, it's almost like a bass concerto, but the production isn't up to snuff overall. It's Pete's worst-sounding guitar record, it sounds like the guitar is direct...thin and dry.
  5. PhR

Dec 13, 2005
    I love Quadrophenia and I like the sound of that album too although the sound they achieved on Who's Next is a bit better.
    The 1996 remaster/remix should be easy to obtain, amazon.com for example. The bass sound on that is even more in your face than on the original vinyl.
    Entwistle did some interesting things with his bass tracks for the Quadrophenia film soundtrack album and not necessarily for the better. He remixed some and re-played some. He also added some 12-string bass tracks with his Hamer 12-string Quadbass. Roger Daltrey said that John was never happy with his sound and wanted always to tinker with things. He should have been happy.:)

I think Quadrophenia is the next Who album for the "Expanded Edition" treatment they did for Who's Next, Live At Leeds, Tommy and My Generation. I hope it is.
  6. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Quadrophenia is exhibit "B" on my list of "why bands should not self-produce". ("And Justice For All" is exhibit "A") It doesn't sound terrible, but sonically it's nowhere near "Who's Next".

The music is fantastic.

Townshend's songwriting and guitar playing is in top form, Daltry's voice is powerful and clear, Moonie's drums are typical Moon. Entwistle's bass playing is great as always, but it's his brass playing and arranging which really shines on this record.
  7. And Justice For All is self produced? Not the last time I checked. :rollno:
  8. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    I guess for self-produced bands, Dream Theater tops the list for me.

I don't think Quadrophenia sounds as awful as say, the Wall, but you're right - Who's Next is far better.
  9. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Is that a joke? Link
  10. soontobedead

Jul 14, 2005
    i thought AJFA's producer was flemming rassmussen... i don't think the link's information is that valid since they label the record as speed metal :scowl:
  11. Um...no joke....co produced? Yes.....self produced...no.
  12. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    To me, the electric guitar sounds like ass, but the acoustic really sparkles. Just lots of acoustic shimmery-ness (is that a word?). And yeah, the bass & drums are incredible as well. I love the way he uses synthesizers to sound like an orchestra, but they never take a lead role. They just sit in the background. And Daltrey just howls, especially on Love Reign O'er Me. If the guitar & bass sounds were better, it'd be like the perfect concept album IMHO.

EDIT: I also forgot about JE's brass. Makes me wish I took up french horn in elementary school!