Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Quads for a fretless

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by DanGouge, Oct 11, 2002.

1. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    What does everyone think about using a Bartolini quad-coil soapbar on a fretless? Has anyone done it?

2. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    I've got a pair on my Hanewinckel fretless. I'm using them like dual-coils however, only switching between all coils, inner-coils, and outer-coils. I think the subtle differences between "P" and "reverse P" and other things you can do with quads are probably going to not be as apparent on fretless - IME the place where that shows up the most is slapping (with frets). I can tell a difference between "inside" and "outside" on the fretless though.

Are you thinking about just one? That will probably be even less apparent - the difference between moving one pickup 1/2" is a lot less than moving two pickups in or outward that much.

As far as Bart soapbars in general, I think they make a great fretless pickup. (I have P46Cs)

3. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    I'm sort of debating the pickup configuration still. Likely either a couple of soapbars or the J/MM combination.

4. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Geshel's right about the differences between P and reverse P not being very apparent.

I've got quads on my fretless 8 string Curbow, and it took me a while to discern the subtle differences between the two settings. Once any other instruments kicked in, though, the subtleties would be lost.

I'm probably going to swap out the preamp (prefer the EMG 18V setup to the Bart 18V setup), and when I do, I'll have Curbow change the coil options to something closer to what Geshel is using.

With all 4 coils on, the pickups give some serious output, though. That's the setting I'm using most often.