1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Quality 15" Speaker?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by justinmc, Oct 12, 2006.

1. justinmc

justinmc

Feb 8, 2006
    Can anyone recommend a good 15" speaker? I don't have a clue where to start, all I know is that the 15 in my dumpster dive peavey cab doesn't really excite me. The cab has a couple of 8" speakers too (i think that's the size), if that makes a difference.

Thanks!
    Mick Rainodes:confused:

2. Eminence Kappa Pro LFA (not the LF). Has extended travel and a deep tone but will do quite well on mids.

3. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    The Peavey site lists the original drivers, you can reload with the same or one with equivalent T/S specs.

4. billfitzmaurice

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    The A suffix indicates it's 8 ohms. C is 4 ohms, B is 16.

5. 64jazzbass

64jazzbass

Sep 5, 2002
    Chicago, Il
    How about a Peavey Black Widow? Or a JBL E-140, or an EV?

6. justinmc

justinmc

Feb 8, 2006
    Thanks for the ideas so far. I should have mentioned that I'm using a 70's Ampeg V4-B, and that I'm playing noisy R&B...

7. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I have a Weber Michigan 15" which is modeled after the EV 15's which I'm selling:D

8. mapfbadger

mapfbadger

Sep 22, 2002
    UK
    I second that I have one in my Son of Bertha and its a massive improvement, even though the original speaker was great too.

9. qts

qts

May 15, 2006
    Ijmuiden-holland
    Hi guys,

Sorry to meddle in Justinmc,because i don't want to start a new thread with the same question.
    Some time ago i build my own cab with a kappa15LF, i thought it whas one of the best drivers for a 4banger, because i did not use lower than 40Hz.
    I follow an interesting thread from a man named Magneto,he made a cab with the kappa proLF-2.
    The thread convince me that this driver must be one of the best.

Qts.

10. billfitzmaurice

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    The best driver in the world is only as good as the cabinet it's mounted in, and how well the two are matched to each other. Recommending any driver without taking the cabinet into consideration is blind speculation.

11. X Wolf

X Wolf Guest

+1.....I've used this speaker in 2 different cabs and they worked out very well, nice full sound.

George

12. qts

qts

May 15, 2006
    Ijmuiden-holland
    Ferry sharp Bill,of course they have to match.
    It's that same old story; loud,low,efficiency,small,large.
    That makes cab ''The cab".

Greets.

13. jnewmark

jnewmark Just wanna play the groove. Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Third St. Cigar Records staff musician.

I 've used the JBL E -140 speakers for years and never had a complaint. In fact, a pair I have in a 2x15 cab is going on 20 years without a problem. Sadly, JBL does not manufacture them anymore, or any bass instrument speaker from what I can tell.

14. Funkengrooven

Funkengrooven Turn it down? You gotta be nuts!!

Replace with Peavey Black Widows or better yet...
    JBL, JBL, JBL

However, When replacing speakers with non-factory models be prepared to change port sizes to accomodate different drivers..otherwise the sound will be crap. most manufacturers will publish T-S Parameters (WebberVST Does Not ...yet).

15. qts

qts

May 15, 2006
    Ijmuiden-holland
    Hi,

I wonder why ''Magneto"choose the ProLF-2 in the tread i have mentioned.
    A pity, i don't see his name anymore, so i would ask him myself.
    I want to go for the best, what is the difference between my and his cab?
    In the thread Bill, Bruce and others suport him with good advice.

My one 15LF; Vb=3.6cf Fb=39Hz F3=43Hz
    His one pro15LF-2; Vb=2.6 Fb=35Hz F3=59Hz

What is de diverence? his cab roll off faster, so he need a middriver.
    I'm just curiouse, and maby i want to build this cab.

qts.

16. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    I have mentioned in the past that the "new driver in old box" is just a variation on the DIY speaker design problem, except that the volume of the box is out of your control. Without knowing anything about the existing driver, you can compute the box volume and the port tuning frequency. You can enter these numbers into WinISD and see how various drivers stack up on the various curves, particularly sensitivity and excursion versus frequency.

At first blush, matching the old curve will give you a speaker that sounds like the old one, which you already don't like. The only gain to be made would be if you could bump up Xmax to get more power handling.

You could change the curve with a different driver. But you don't know what the existing curve is unless you can find the parameters for the old driver to enter into the model. (Or, if you can measure the response curve). Then it becomes a question of what don't you like about the existing speaker, because your design strategy depends on what you want the new curve to look like compared to the old one.

Also my opinion here, retuning the port won't get you very far, because it doesn't seem like there is a lot of leeway. Tune the port too high, and the system is subject to farting out. Too low, and the port is simply ineffective. What do the experts know about this?

17. qts

qts

May 15, 2006
    Ijmuiden-holland
    fdeck,is this youre reply on my question?
    I don't understand what you mean.

qts.

18. billfitzmaurice

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Merely tuning to a desired response is only part of the equation. More important for the electric bass is having a system that isn't excursion limited to the extent that response is moot. The one factor that no software program can take the place of is experience. Knowing what it is that you're trying to accomplish starts to occur after you've built twenty or thirty cabs.

19. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    It was more just a general thought about the "old cab new driver" problem.

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 28, 2021