Quality 6 Strings

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sterling_Bass, Jan 16, 2006.

1. Hey. Before anyone mentions it, I already have done various searches on this subject. Currently I play a 4 string S.U.B Sterling. Id love to explore ERB and purchase my own 6 string after my birthday in June. Playing bass in my school's concert band even shows the need to go beyond low E. Alot of the pieces are written in Eb and sometimes the octave doesnt sound as great. Getting back to the point, what 6 string basses $1000 or under would you guys and girls if any suggest? Ive been reading up on Yamaha TRB1006 and the discontinued TRBIIs. At this time they seem the most appealing. Other options seem to be the Ibanez Sr506. Peavy Cirrus basses run too much and so do Carvin basses. The Schecter model is also under a grand.
    Having played a few Ritters lately and a Sukop, I'm not willing to accept the fact that I wont be getting anything even close to them anytime before I graduate high school let alone college.
    So, what would are possible basses I should look into? I play alot of rock(from Rush to Incubus to RHCP and Dream Theater), funk, blues, and other genres from time to time. Versatility is a must I guess you could say. I do slap and tap, but I cant say I'm anything to get excited about. Active basses arent a problem.
    $1000 is stretching what I'd like to spend, so anything over that wont happen. I'd like to pickup something that wont need to be replaced. Quality. Neckthroughs are a huge plus, but I'd be hard pressed to find one in this range. All help is greatly appreciated!
  2. Wow sorry for the double thread. Didnt mean for that to happen.
  3. try for an Ibanez BTB406qm for a chunky neck, if you're not a huge Soundgear fan. A good preamp too, very versatile.
  4. Pruitt

Jun 30, 2005
    Danbury, CT
    As an owner of an SR-506, I have no problems recommending it to anyone. I found it to be an excellent choice to see if a 6 string bass was something I'd like at a relatively inexpensive price. I am very happy with mine, it plays and sounds great. I have no regrets concerning purchasing it.

Good luck and have fun! :bassist:
  5. Toe-mas

Apr 24, 2004
    St Louis, MO
    I have a Schecter Studio 6-string that I'm totally in love with. The neck is lovely--through body with a satin finish and a comfortably thin profile. Grind your local guitar center guy down and you can get them for a very reasonable price. My ONLY complaint is that it's a bit neck heavy.

6. steve21

steve21 Banned

For the past 6 or so months the only instrument that's satisfied me time and again at GC (at a rate of going which is/was basically once every week or two) was the Ibanez SR506.

Although I've never tried a Schecter Studio 6... how much was yours, Toe-mas?

I'd like to try the two head to head.
  7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

If you are patient, you can get a used Cirrus 6 on Ebay for less than $1000, sometimes under $900. It blows the basses that you have mentioned away.
  8. Toe-mas

Apr 24, 2004
    St Louis, MO
    Well, I hate to say this in front of the usually GC-hating crowd, but since I actually work at a GC I was able to call up Schecter and get an obscene discount straight from the factory. So the price of mine isn't really at all representative of what they are otherwise worth. I don't know the actual number they can sell for off the top of my head, but like I said, if you pester a GC guy they will tell you. I also like the SR506, and most of the higher end Ibanez, but since they don't make them left-handed I am forced to express my infinite rage at Ibanez for denying me a cool bass. :scowl:

p.s. I promise I'm not that stereotypical GC kid who thinks he knows everything about everything. ;)
  9. Matt Morgan

Matt Morgan Fellow Conspirator Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2001
    Plano, TX
    Another vote for a used Cirrus. They're out there you just have to look really hard for them and/or be patient!
  10. Thanks for the replies guys. Does anyone have anything to say about the TRB series?
  11. chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    Look for a used Carvin BB76. Narrow neck makes for an easy transition, great balance on a strap, well built. And used, they're real bargains.

I will own one again some day.
  12. I have never played a Carvin bass, but I do hear good things about them. I really like the walnut series one. The options seem are great. About how much should a used one go for? Ive seen them range from $500-$1000+. Would it be a good idea to buy without ever playing one?
  13. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    When I first started looking at 6's I really liked the TRB .... for me, I much prefered it to the Cirrus. I like bigger bodied basses, and the Cirrus just isn't a comfortable fit for me.

The Ibanez SR506 was surprisingly nice .... I played one for a short time. But overall, I think the Yamaha really felt the best. You may also be able to get an Aria Pro for a decent used price ........ :cool:
  14. Is $900 a reasonable price for the TRB1006? Should I wait for a used one to pop up on Ebay instead?
  15. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    Keep an eye out for a Cort Curbow.

16. tomfouts

Jan 4, 2006
    Boston, MA
    I would recommend eBay. I got my Ibanez BTB1006e for $650 and it is in perfect working condition with a few scratches here and there.....

If a bass interests you on eBay, just ask about it and we will give you our opinions on it.

+1 on the Cirrus, also look out for and high end ibanez's, warwicks (very heavy, very wide neck)....

Also, I have heard some bad things about Carvins. Some people love them. Some HATE them because they get *** up easily on them and Carvin Customer Service sucks. So Carvin is a bit risky
  17. Id like a bass with a similar neck to a Sterling if that is possible. I know it'll be much wider on a 6 string, but the feel of the Sterling neck compared to a Stingray is much more comfortable in my hands. I wish I could try out the TRBs somewhere.
  18. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Spector Legend, but only if you've actually played a Spector and dig the tone of the EMGs. The tone isn't for everyone and it may be a bit too bright.

It is a well-made bass, however, and sports the curved body. I have an older NS2000Q 6-string that is a fine-playing bass, but it doesn't have the aforementioned curve. It's on the "too-bright" side, but I just adjust things on the amp (no enhancer needed) in order to compensate.
  19. chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    Is that your own personal experience with Carvin? It sure hasn't been mine. They're solidly built, although the electronics can be mediocre on the older ones.