Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Quality and Construction differences between Fender USA and G&L USA

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Feb 13, 2006.

1. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

What diffrences would you say if any their are in Quality and Construction between Fender USA and G&L USA ?.

2. I'm looking forward to seeing peoples responses to this,

I own a G&L and never owned a fender, but isn't it said that you have to try several fenders to find a good one? G&L doesn't have that problem IME

3. MAJOR METAL

I have a G&L on order right now and i have never owned a Fender , I have never gotten turned on by any Fender before.

4. I'm the same way, what did you get? I recently just bought an L-2000. I hope you love yours just as much as I do.

5. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    My tribby is better made than most USA G&L's I've tried, and it has american electronics.

It's a beast!

Have you seen some of the general responses to G&L and/or fender? I think you already know the answer to your question.

6. MAJOR METAL

I custom Ordered a Semi Hollow ASAT in Greenburst with a matching Headstock ! :bassist:

7. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I really think the USA Fenders have gotten more consistent, but I have can only think of one USA G&L that might have had a quality isssue (sharp frets) and I think that it was due the fingerboard shrinkage. USA G&Ls are very, very consistently well made. I should also note that MIA Fenders have graphite bars in their necks while G&Ls use quatersawn, bi-cut necks for increased stability.

8. Good choice, I wouldn't mind a semi hollow ASAT in the future.

9. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    You have to be a bit more specific when you compare US G&L with US Fenders. I'd say the stock G&L 2000 & 2005s are on par with US Fender Deluxes. The G&L SB2 is more in the American Series J or P range. In both classes, I say G&L wins though I must say, the US Fender lines have definitely gotten better; much better. And even the imports seem to favor G&L (as in G&L Tributes vs. MIM Fenders). Stock G&Ls have more heavy duty hardware and more versatile pickups with more output and generally more consistent quality control.

As for this semi-hollow ASAT of yrs, you've entered Fender Custom Shop territory. My pick? You bet yr ass, I'm still with G&L! And you MUST post some pics with that beauty comes in, sir!

Am I a little biased towards G&L? Well I own an ASAT and SB1 and love 'em both. I've own several US Fender Ps and Js in the past and my current G&Ls smokes them easily. However in fairness, I owned the American Standards and Deluxes of yore. The stuff Fender is pumping out is way better than what I used to have before I customized them a bit.

r

10. I cannot wait to see that!

Maple fretboard, too?

Wow.

11. MAJOR METAL

You go it Maple / Maple Neck.

12. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    G&L is probably a little nicer in the construction details generally speaking. Honestly though to me the differences are negligible.

13. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Fender USA basses get a bad rap around here, but are frankly very very nice since they revamped everything in about 1994. Especially for 4 strings. G&Ls seem to be very well made too. Very little difference in quality, but the designs are pretty different.

14. stars

stars

Feb 11, 2006
    hmm but dont the G&L ASAT bass series have issues with neck diving ?

15. SGT. Pepper

SGT. Pepper Banned

Nov 20, 2005
    Phila,Pa.
    G&L's quality control is way better than Fender! G&L uses better materials too.

16. WarwickFan

WarwickFan

Feb 7, 2005
    Florida
    Get a MusicMan, better than Fender and G&L hands down, IMHO.

17. Tom

Tom

Sep 7, 2005
    Davis, CA
    Maybe I haven't played enough USA Fenders, but I haven't found a poor one. But, considering that my GC doesn't seem to be under the dominion of satan, maybe I'm just living in some crazy alternate reality. :eek: Or perhaps my taste isn't as discerning as everyone else's.

That being said, I think the inconsistency of Fenders is a bit overstated. G&Ls are sadly rare in my area, but the one's I've played are well constructed. You would have to look very close to find a clear winner there, and even then I don't think you could call either a "loser" in terms on construction.

This is my experience, anyway.

18. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I have owned a couple of newer U.S. Fenders, a 97 MIA JD5 and a 2001 MIA JD5. I have also owned an L2500 and used another one on loan for a long time.

IME, the quality is about the same. I do think the 6-bolt neck of the L2500 makes for a stiffer coupling. In my case, both G&Ls produced a stronger B string than either of Fenders.

As for fit and finish, I think that they two are mostly comparable. Both are done pretty well for the price point they are in.

What I do have to say, though, is the G&L is simply a superior design to Fender because of the tone circuit. the tone circuit of the L2000/2500 is absolutely a rock monster. Active/passive selectivity and huge pallet of tones to choose from.

If I was doing rock only, there is really no other bass I would consider.

19. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    There's been a couple of threads on this G&L ASAT bass neck dive thing. I've owned an ASAT for years. Yes, the neck dives. Jazz basses neck dive. P-basses neck dive. Deal with it!

But for what its worth, I know you can buy a special neck plate with an extention fitted with a strap button. This is suppose to balance the ASAT a bit better. Maybe its just me, but I really have no problem with the neck diving thing. Perhaps I've learne to adapt; beats me. I just know I love my ASAT; its probably the best bass I've ever owned.

r

20. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I've had a MM SR5 and a number of G&L's and have played but not owned a MIA Jazz. It's a tough call.

The SR5 was well made, played great, sounded great, but isn't quite as versitile.

The jazz was a jazz. The neck was great.

I had 3 G&L's - a L2500, a L2000 and a fretless L2000 - all "custom" ordered. I really liked them and kinda wish I still had them. That was back in the day when I traded basses about every couple months, sometimes weeks. I think I sold them to get a couple Ken Smiths.

Between the Fender and the G&L, I would lean to the G&L.