Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Quality bass for $500 or less??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nirvanarules28, Jun 18, 2002.

1. nirvanarules28

nirvanarules28

Mar 7, 2001
    Hey everyone
    I'm lookin to buy another bass, but $500 is probably the most i should spend. But i still want to get a quality instrument (call me crazy, but i dont particularly like cheap, crappy instruments). Any suggestions as to which bass guitars would be worth buying but not too expensive?
    Thanks

2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Ibanez Musician.

Used Peavey

Used Carvin

Check the TalkBass classifieds.

3. TRU

TRU

Apr 12, 2002
    Northern Europe
    Yesterday I tried out a Warwick Rockbass. What an incredible instrument for that price range! This is the one to go for if you like tight string spacing and sturdy neck. I'm thinking of trading my MTD kingston for it. It was listed 550eur, so I guess you could have it well under 500usd, depending on where you live.

4. my first bass was a fender percision i bought off a friend for 200 bucks. if thats not what you call quality i dont know what is. but i guess that was sorta lucky. check the classifieds see if you can find another bass player sellin some stuff. but if your lookin for somethin new, then i say your SOL.

5. DBeall

DBeall

May 10, 2002
    Vancouver, Wa
    I picked up my fender MIM jazz for $415 from GC brand new.

You can get them for $385 there brand new, I just opted for the sunburst paint job :)

6. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Dean has some really nice basses in that price range. I'm more impressed with my Edge every time I pick it up and I'm really starting to find my voice on it. Check it out:

[​IMG]

Not bad for a sub $500 bass. (list price is higher I think).

7. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Check out the MTD Kingstons,, those are pretty much the kings of the under 500 crowd. 35 inch scale, zero fret, Buzz Feiten tuning system, lightweight, I just ordered mine!! Also the Fender MIM jazzes are great,, I've been happy enough not to upgrade for almost 4 years.

8. nirvanarules28

nirvanarules28

Mar 7, 2001
    Thanks for the replies.
    Does anyone know much about Dean Razor NT basses? Are they well built and do they play and sound good? I like the way they look and I've played other dean basses and they felt pretty good. But I haven't seen or played a Razor NT.
    Thanks

9. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I've been impressed by every Dean I've ever picked up. :) One time I was so impressed I bought it!

10. BillSC

BillSC Guest

May 30, 2002
    Columbia, SC
    I agree with Philbiker! I hve a Dean Edge Q4 and, for the money, it is an incredible bass..great neck, construction, and tone. Solid all the way around.

11. jtd125

jtd125

Mar 16, 2002
    Agoura Hillis, CA
    its about time dean basses get some credit

12. jelloyacket

jelloyacket bass > guitar

Jun 14, 2002
    McMurray, PA
    Go with the Fender P Deluxe. Our church has one, and it plays great.

13. bobaweeka

bobaweeka

Jan 2, 2001
    Yes
    I like the deluxe also. Jazz Neck, p-body. Great combination and pickup configuration too. Oh yeah, hey guys, long time no see!

14. uglybassplayer

uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    Make it another vote for the Kingston. Best "just under" $500 you'll spend on a new bass.

- Frank.

15. uglybassplayer

uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    Funny... I bought a Dean Avalanche MQ guitar for the same reason... It just felt great, even better than the Fender American Texas Special I had originally planned on getting! I changed the switch, pots and put Seymore Duncan pickups in it, and it was still only half as expensive.

When I was looking for an acoustic though, I couldn't find a single Dean I liked (all the way up to the top of the line). Beautiful "eye candy", but they all just sounded thin.

- Frank.

16. Front mounted jacks are better for sitting down while you play. I buy the 90 degree cables so I don't have an inch and a half of jack stickin out the front.