Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Quality basses in softcase?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by semborg, May 5, 2005.

1. Do you think it is dumb to have my Peavey Cirrus in a Warwick Rockbag (Softcase)?

2. Great!
    It is very heavey and "stationarylike" to wear it in a hardcase.

I think the Warwick Rockbag is quite good "defended" :smug:

3. Niskamies

Niskamies

Jan 13, 2004
    The Warwick rockbag is great as long as it lasts. They tend to break in about a year or so. I suggest you to get an Incase, you won't be dissapointed.

4. rugrat

rugrat

Nov 12, 2003
    Northwest Illinois
    We keep my wife's $200 Ibanez in a gig bag. All of my expensive Basses are all kept in hard cases, I value them too much to take any chances. When I travel to play, my little
    S-10 pick up is packed pretty tight. I don't think a Bass could hold up to these conditions in a gig bag.

5. Razman

Razman

Feb 10, 2005
    Orange Park, FL
    I'm not familiar with that bag, but I keep my Dingwall Z1 in a Levy's gig bag which seems very well made and robust. Granted, it came with the bass (and has Dingwall's logo on it), but my initial reaction to finding out it didn't come with a hard case was one of surprise. However, it works well for me, fits in my 2-door hatch-back, and does a good job of protecting my "investment." I do have plans on purchasing a good hard case one day.

Eric

6. I prefer the hardcases but it depends on if you're gigging, have kids or animals in the house, etc..

7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I prefer a high quality bag. I carry my basses myself, and don't ship them in with the amps and cabinets.

I have a Levy's and an Incase. They both protect my basses from anything other than getting stepped on as well as a hardcase.

Hardcases are too heavy and bulky for me, and they are taking up too much room in my garage.

Moved to Miscellaneous.

8. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    Yep my Dingy came with a Levy's bag as well, and bieng that it is pre 9-11 it even came with a special strap and hook for hangin on the airplane when traveling. Gig bags are the way to go for me 'cause like Embellisher said, I always carry and transport my basses. If I were touring or something and was unable to have complete "custody" of my baby an Anvil type flight case would be prudent.

9. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    +1...gig bags if I'm personally transporting, hard case if it's public transportation.

10. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I'm not familiar with that particular gig bag, so I can't comment on its protective abilities.

I remember I was in a music store once, and I overheard one of the clerks tell a women who was shopping for a guitar for that if her son (I believe she was shopping for a gift) had $500 or more invested in a guitar, he should consider a hardshell case. I pretty much agree with that maxim.

Sometimes a gigbag is more practical, especially if you are walking any distance with an instrument, but I prefer the added protection of a hard case. I'm pretty much in the same boat as Rugrat; my car is packed when it's gig time, and I like knowing that if I have to slam my brakes, my basses are going to be protected.