quality basses under a grand?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Huna Funk, Feb 2, 2001.

1. Huna Funk

Huna Funk

Dec 5, 2000
    Ok everyone, I need some opinions. I'm in the process of saving up for a bass and after browsing through just about every damn manufacturer site I could find I'm now more confused than when I started.

What I am looking for is a left handed fretless five string.
    It must have fret inlay lines on an ebony fretboard.
    I'm looking for a dual soap bar pups, active electronics.

I'm not able to spend over a grand. I know that puts a ton of limits on the over all quality I'll be getting. Just looking for some of the best in my price range.

Any ideas?
  2. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    With those requirements, you'll have a rather hard time in the under $1000. I think Carvin is your best option, as they offers all of their stock in left handed versions.

The Yamaha TRB5 fretless is a decent instrument, but it doesn't have the ebony board and I'm not sure if it comes in a left handed version.
  3. Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    I agree with Christopher for the most part. Don't be afraid to try the used market however. Though your search will be made a little more difficult because you are left handed, it's still worth a shot. I prefer to buy used because I usually always can get the money invested back from the instrument, if not more.
  4. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    With your requirements...Carvin, though I don't know about dual soapbars.

I guess you could also build a Warmoth Gecko or Fender-style, though the Gecko may total out at more than $1K.
  5. The TRB5-II fretless does have an ebony board, but I'm not sure if it comes in a left-handed model. I know that the fretted model does, but that doesn't help you...

Carvin's probably your best bet.
  6. brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    Check out the Brian Moore i series basses. They are handmade neck-through and sound surprisingly good, and best of all they cost about $900.
  7. Huna Funk

Huna Funk

Dec 5, 2000
    Thanks for all of the suggestions. I had a feeling my requirements made for a tall order considering my price cap. Also had a feeling if there were anything around that fit the bill that this was where to find out, I'm liking this place :)

Thanks again all.