Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Quality combo suggestions please

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by stinkiusminkius, Jan 23, 2005.

1. Hello all,

Any suggestions for a good quality bass combo that can handle the full spectrum of bass playing? (Or am I on to a loser already, and can only get this from a head and a selection of speaker sizes?). I would imagine I'd be looking at at least 200W.

PS my technical knowledge is limited so be simplistic with any responses. Cheers.

2. Eden Nemises Combos. Try the 115 or 210. They are great sounding- no harshness or grain and move lots of air so you feel it in your gut.

3. Matt Morgan

Matt Morgan Fellow Conspirator Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2001
    Plano, TX
    It really depends on what you are willing to spend and what you are willing to physically carry on a regular basis.
    There are some very inexpensive combos (Ashdown, Nemesis, etc.) that tend to be pretty heavy and there are some very pricey combos that are much easier to pack around (Euphonic Audio, Hevos, etc.).
    It really comes down to what sound you're after, how significant a financial hit you're willing to accept and what your back will tolerate.
    If you were looking for something in the 200w range and your pocket book is willing, the Euphonic Audio Iamp 200 combo is one of the best in the business, in my opinion.
    If you're looking for something more modular and even easier to transport, any of the Accoustic Image amplifiers combined with your favorite ultra-light cabinet (Flite Sound, Epifani UL, etc.) would be a really nice set up!

4. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I'll second the EA combos. The iAMP 200 Combo (the "Wizzy Combo") is right up your alley, but I understand that you can also have an iAMP 500 Combo made, which is the iAMP 500 head with the Wizzy cab (in combo form, of course). Then there is the iAMP 800 Combo, which uses the CxL-112. As you probably know, EA is known for a "flat, accurate, uncolored" tone - although opinions of what exactly a "flat, accurate, uncolored" amp/cab should sound like do vary somewhat. ;)

Another combo that many players like is the Mesa Boogie Walkabout Scout. I own the Walkabout head, but have not tried the Scout combo. As a head, the Walkabout is definitely "colored", but I really like its tone, and I'm sure that the Scout combo sounds great, too.

I also like the idea of a small head and seperate cab. These types of setups are very flexible and can grow with you over time. If you like, I can give you some suggestions for each.

Tom.

5. TampaBlues

TampaBlues

Oct 28, 2002
    Tampa, Florida
    How about your maximum price point? It would be easier to help you if we knew that.[​IMG]

6. Thanks for all those suggestions - I'll get onto some review sites and see what they all say about them.

Price range is sort of £400 ish ($800).

And in some ways, maybe getting a head and separates could be better, although I've always been put off as they seem so damn huge and a nightmare for carrying to gigs etc. Is it a case of getting a mixture of speakers? ie one big speaker for the low end stuff, and some smaller ones for the mid stuff.

PS - Finally, my current amp is a Vox Venue 100W (12inch speaker), which has 2 jack sockets on the back saying extension speakers. Could I just whack some separate bigger speakers in the to effectively use my amp as a head?

7. tubster

tubster

Feb 5, 2003
    Southwest Spain
    The advice that has been given here is as ever, great BUT....as you are lurking around Brum in the UK you'll have to pay an arm and a leg for what has been suggested. THey are all US made and cost a fortune in the UK.

First off, lug the Vox down to your local music shop and ask them if you can try an external cab in your price range. If that does the trick, buy it or go get one second hand. (one caveat with this approach is that your VOX would be considered underpowered in this day and age and you might grow out of it rather quickly with no further upgrade path). Make sure that you know the correct impedance for your VOX to match up a cab to get the max out of the amp. THere's loads of threads on TB to help with this.

If that doesn't work, look at local stuff - Ashdown, Laney Carlsbro, Marshall, Orange, Vox(?) and others. Also look at the MarkBass stuff from Italy and of course used stuff like Trace. Yea, I know, the UK stuff seems so bland and boring against US gear and everyone down the pub uses one! But...It will save you money .

The head and cab or combo approach is very much down to personal preference and your budget but head+cab(s) gives great flexibility. Being an old fart, I have gone back to combos but am already thinking of a change back again.

Good luck and don't freeze your boll.. off!

8. AlembicBob

AlembicBob

Dec 28, 2004
    MA, US
    There are some pretty solid bass amps that operate on a 12" speaker, but few, if any, that run 100 watts. You can try an extension speaker, but you probably need to take a look at what you can get from Ashdown in your price range.

9. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    Yorkville XM200. Loud, pretty punchy, and capable of many useful tones. I play a Pbass with TI flats, and Jbasses with roundwounds. Does everything from a vintage type sound, to a more modern sound with no problem.

10. Radiobass

Radiobass

Jan 10, 2005
    You could also check out some Rolands. I own a DB500 and cannot be happier.