Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

quality combos ???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by peter G, May 18, 2005.

1. peter G

peter G

Sep 28, 2004
    ohio's northcoast
    I've narrowed my combo search to 4 models,
    they are:
    vox t60
    ampeg ba112
    eden n12s
    ashtown mag c115 t300
    I've not played any yet, and I want something that will give me a good warm deep sound with both a yamahaBB 5 passive and a 4 active.
    Volume is not really an issue as I only play in church in a praise band with 2 acoustics 1 electric, and some kind of African drum.
    I guess what I'm looking for is a quality sound at lower levels in an amp that will last, for less than $450. All input will be greatly appreciated.

2. Th9nker

Th9nker

Mar 18, 2002
    I have really enjoyed my Ampeg BA112... I mainly use it for practice and some rare acoustic gigs... The rock-back feature is really helpful...

3. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i cant comment on the above models

FWIW, if you can find them used the swr workingman's 12 and WM 15 are both worth a listen, as is an older peavey TNT with a 15" speaker.

JOE BEETS YOU ARE FORBIDDEN TO POST IN THIS THREAD

;) :p ;)

4. Wesley R

Wesley R Supporting Member

BA112 alot and I like my Trace Elliot BLX80 alot also. My favorite combo was my B115S.

Currently the BA112 is the bedroom amp and when needed lined out to a power amp and a couple of 15's

5. Rat

Rat

Mar 15, 2005
    Boston Sewers
    I love my
    GK Backline 210 combo.....200w.....300w with another cab :hyper:

6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

:D

I second the used Peavey with a 15 or used Workingman's 12 or 15 idea.

7. There are a couple of threads on the Eden forum that talk about the silver series. The bassic review is Eden-like sound for less money. But they don't have the kick-back design.

8. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    I would strongly recommend you take one of your basses down to some stores and try out as many combos as you can before creating a short list. What sounds awesome to some, sounds like trash to others. Are you sure that all people responding to your thread play the same basses, plucking the same way, with the eq set the same, to your favorite music? All you will get is a bunch of posts from people claiming their amp is the great.

Listen with your own ears, then make a short list.

Good luck.

9. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    +1

swr workingman's 12 or 15 used