Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Quality expression pedal?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by thejohnkim, Jul 11, 2005.

1. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    NYC
    i've done a few searches with nothing definitive come up. what do you guys use as expression pedals and like? So far people ahve been saying that the boss/roland ev-5 is so-so, the line6 and zoom models have bad reviews, and some people ahve been able to use their eb volume pedal as an expression pedal with no mods.

i'm hoping to find something pretty cheap, because this is mostly going to be for my me-8b's wah feature, and if it gets too expensive i figure i might as well buy a dedicated wah since i dont see other features of the expression pedal i see myself ever using.

i've seen a lot of those synth cv pedals. do they work with effects pedals as well?

2. well, there's a fairly good one in the digitech BP series multi-effect, but those are a little bit expensive if you only want the expression pedal. For a dedicated wah, if you want funk, buy the morley double bass wah, that's about all it's good for, and if you want distorted, agressive wah: morley power wah boost. the bass crybaby is OK overall too.

3. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    There is nothing wrong with the Boss/Roland pedal. They are plastic and the feel isn't fantabulous but they work very well. I've used mine with a lot of different gear and it always works fine. The EB volume pedal is a great expression pedal, but not all that cheep, and you really want the 50k version for most applications. You can use the 250k pedal but unless your effect is adjustable for expression-range you will get all of the expression over a small range of travel.

There are a bunch of expression pedals that are all basically 50k volume pedals. The difference is that a Vol pedal has an input and an output, while a dedicated expression pedal may just have an output connection.

Hope that helps.

4. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    NYC
    thanks fretless, i already own an eb volume pedal so i plan on just trying it out to seee if i find owning an expression pedal useful, and if i do i'll give the ev-5 a shot.