1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Quality first bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassTroll, Aug 16, 2007.

1. BassTroll

BassTroll

Aug 16, 2007
    Hello im new:D anyways ive been playing guitar for about 3 years and about 6 months ago made the switch to bass. I'm not a fustrated guitarist (had to get it out of the way) so far ive learned a fair amount of mo-town, led zep, "easy" primus and rush bass lines...problem is i was using someone elses rig the whole time so recommend me some gear!:bassist:

to give you an idea my bass heroes (and tone heroes) are stanley, jaco, victor and geddy. I practice about 5-10 hours a day (depends if i work or not-think troll),i jam about every other day and listen to music constantly. Currently im getting into reading and bach in general. I am definitely in this for the long haul especially after watching a Return to Forever concert recently.

thanx in advance for the help

2. K-Punk

K-Punk Supporting Member

Feb 27, 2007
    PDX
    Fender jazz bass....Everyone of those guys you mentioned except Stanley is a jazz bass guy.

3. What's your price range? That'll make all the difference.

4. A fender Geedy Lee singature jazz bass. You won't ever look back.

5. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    If you really dig Stan you might want something with 24 frets...just a thought.

6. 73jbass

73jbass Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2004
    Ellenwood,Ga.
    I want to know how anyone can practice 5 to 10 hours a day.

7. My hands would fall off!:eek:

8. welcome to talkbass basstroll.
    sounds to me you're looking for a good allround jazz bass, since of your music preferences. what i would do is go to several stores and just try some out. also, if you have a budget you might wanna consider not going overboard with yer first bass.

9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    +1, and the beauty of the Jazz Bass is that it's high quality at a good price. And if 24 frets are really important to you, Fender just started making a 24 fret Jazz that's supposed to be really good. Me, I'd just get the 20 fret model. Sounds like you wouldn't spend a lot of time at the last 4 frets anyway.

10. I decided on something else, but the Fender Jazz Bass seems to be it for you.

I definitely agree with Mussers: Try a whole bunch of them, because every Bass I've ever tried has been different from the next.

I also agree with alfredpunkjazz, as the Geddy Lee Signature Model is worth the cash. If you were to buy a Made in Mexico Jazz Bass and supe' it up, you'd be making the mods the Geddy Lee bass already has.

A price range would help.

11. Earwigger

Earwigger I'm a Roland man now.

Aug 23, 2005
    Cleveland, Ohio
    I second that. A great instrument with a killer tone. The MIJs (Geddy is MIJ) absolutely blow the MIMs out of the water. You are looking at an entirely different echelon of quality control here.

12. Thunderitter

Thunderitter Bass - the final frontier! Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2007
    USA
    :D
    Oh, to be a student again!

13. Lordy, no kidding; 5hrs is more time than I spend sleeping during any given night!

14. Double Agent

Double Agent

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    Sounds like a lot of folks are steering you towards a Fender Jazz...listen to them. Even if you "grow out" of it, you will likely still have many uses for it in the future.

15. rummy

rummy

Apr 17, 2006
    Lombard, IL
    MIM Jazz
    Lakland Skyline

16. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Another Troll! Yeah from your description I was thinking Jazz bass through an Ampeg rig

17. BassTroll

BassTroll

Aug 16, 2007
    well if fender is making a new 24 fret jazz that might be the one, but yes chris is right i would prefer a 24 fret. This morning i drove over to guitar center and tried a usa precision, jazz and geddy. i prefer the sound od the jazz, but the precisions neck had a nicer feel to me but still no 24 fret.
    About the ampeg my friend who let me borrow his old rig told me its what i need, problem is he's out of town (no phone uber hippy) so i have no idea what parts i essentially need to build up a stack...my last request i promise:hyper:

You all have been alot more helpful than i would have previously thought, so thanks again from a friend of the low end:bassist:

18. ggunn

ggunn

Aug 30, 2006
    Austin, TX
    You guys who tout the 24 fret basses over 22's - do you really use those top 2 frets a lot? Am I missing something?

19. Double Agent

Double Agent

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    Most Fenders only have 20 frets. Its not a big deal to me, though 21 would be nice. That high E on the G string could come in handy, but I can't see having 22-24 frets being a make or break thing on a bass.

The American Deluxe line has 22 frets, and the MIK Jazz24 has 24. If Fender is building a bass that lets you know it has 24 frets in the name, there must be a demand for it somewhere. I don't get it personally though.

20. ggunn

ggunn

Aug 30, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Me neither, but then I only rarely get above the octave fret. My bandmates want me to stay down there where I belong. ;^)