1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Quality gig bag ?? Anone ??

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by LegendInMyMind, Nov 27, 2017.

1. I am looking for a good quality gig bag for my Dean Acoustic Electric bass.. My problem with most of the ones I have looked at (mono, gator, gruv gear) is that they are too short.. The bass has a length of almost 48 inches from tail to the top of the headstock..

Any advice or recommendations would be greatly appreciated..

squidtastic and StrangerBasses like this.
  2. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Reunion Blues.

mindwell and StrangerBasses like this.
  3. pica

pica Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Michigan
    The gator transit bag has an inside length if 48” which probably won’t give you much wiggle room.

Why don’t you just go with the Dean bag like suggested above.

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  4. Thanks Pica, Killed and Jeff.. My only reticence with the Dean bag is the quality.. I play at a lot of Renaissance fairs and Celtic festivals and the conditions can often be less than optimal.. I have gone through 2 gig bags already where the zippers or straps have let me down..

5. pica

pica Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Michigan
    Hey Legend, I was wrong. According to the Sweetwater website the interior length of the Gator Transit bag is 48.5" not 48". Might be just enough room for ya. Good Luck.

6. twinjet

twinjet Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2008
  7. upload_2017-11-27_16-40-59.

hs123 likes this.
  8. Killed_by_Death likes this.
  9. The straps are ok, not great. You can always upgrade them with something heavier. The zippers and sewing are as good as my Roadrunner or Crossrock bags for my solid body basses. The pockets are very roomy. If you order it from a place that lets you ship it back if your unhappy with it, what have you got to lose?

10. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Okay. The inside of my RB bag is 46" so, yeah, a bit short.

11. The one posted is the good padded one. They also have one for the Playmate that is thin like cheesecloth, avoid those. They're half the price of the good ones.

12. KBD is right. I have both and the black one is only good for keeping the dust off and offers no padding at all. the only other alternative I had was the hard case, but I have heard the plastic coating peals off real easy on those and no straps only 1 handle.

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  13. twinjet

twinjet Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2008
    Dang. Close.

14. cavemanbass

cavemanbass

Nov 5, 2010
    I have a Dean, it's not my favorite but quality seems pretty decent. Not made by Dean, mine came with a tag saying it's a Rockbag by Warwick (but it has a Dean emblem embroidered on it). Price was pretty high given the moderate padding.

15. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    N.H.
    SKB ?

16. StrangerBasses

StrangerBasses

Oct 30, 2016
    Another big problem you might in run into is finding a bag that fits the bass body size (i.e., what are the dimensions of the upper and lower bouts?). I’ve had this trouble with acoustic and semi-hollowbody Basses. Most cases don’t seem to fit the larger body sizes...

I’d love to use a Reunion Blues Continental, but I’m not sure it would fit my semi-hollow body Basses (jack Casadys etc.) or acoustic basses

17. aesopslyre

aesopslyre

Oct 27, 2007
    NY,NY
    Gator GL-AC ... the only bag I have found that will fit my Takamine Tb-10. Interior is foam, and can be modded for contour