Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Quality (lower-scale) Resturants in your Area

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Against Will, Mar 14, 2004.

1. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    This past weekend I travelled down to Newberry, South Carolina for a family reunion (small affair, a lot of fun, surprisingly). One day, while down there, my brothers and I went cruising for chicks in our bright yellow (rented) 2002 mustang around northern SoCar. Whilst on this sojourn, my 2nd eldest brother did declare that a chili dog and a Blizzard(C) would be quite fitting at that particular junction in time. Unfortunately, at that time we were a good distance away from any DQ, which was the establishment that my 2nd eldest did in fact call out to satiate his primal craving. Forlorn, he turned his lament into art, crafting a 12 bar blues arrangement in which he proclaimed his need for a chili dog and Blizzard(C), he sorrow at not having gotten them, and ended with a veiled hopefulness that perhaps he will be fulfilled at a later date. We stopped at Sonic instead, which did the trick well enough.

I think it'd be useful, seeing as a good number of TBers travel all over, to construct a list of preferably cheap, possibly healthy, quick, but definately tasty delis, burger joints and food stands that you've eaten at and enjoyed. For example:

Addison County, VT:

-A&W Root Beer stand: on Rt. 7, east of Middlebury (Old school drive-in, one of only like 50 in the country. Grilled burgers and yummy floats).

Poughkeepsie, NY:

-Saigon Cafe: Lagrange Ave, (Cheap, decent Vietnamese and Thai food)
    -Delforno's deli:Raymond Ave, (no-frills, but quick service and a pretty good selection)

Providence, RI:

-Spike's Hot dogs: All over the place, but the one on Thayer St is of note.
    -East Side Pockets:Also on Thayer St, wraps made how you like, surprisingly good.
    -Johnny Rockets: Thayer again, watch the waiters dance for you! Really! (The foods good too).

*blows that harmonica*
    I need a chili dog *ba-doom-bah-doo*
    And a blizzard too, *ba-doom-bah-doo*
    I want something in my belly *ba-doom-bah-doo*
    And McCrappyD's won't do *ba-doom-bah-doo*
    I gooooooot that Dairy Queen blues!
    From my head to my shooesssssssssssss!

PS: for those who don't know, "Sbarro" is Italian slang for "Craptacular food court pizza". Be wary.

EDIT: Title, seeing as not all the resturants I listed were in my area.

2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Sicilia's pizza in boston is *very* good.
    My favorite is the stuffed/deep dish with bell peppers.

3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Dick's Drive-In in Seattle. Hit the one on 45th, that's where the UW kids go.

-Mike

4. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    Dick's is probably the most popular lunch spot for my high school. During any lunch break, there are at least 20-25 people from my school in line at Dick's. It's bizarre. My favorite restaurant is probably New Delhi on Lake City Way, or isn't it B(r)othel Way North of 145th? Another great place is Beth's Cafe on Aurora. The walls are stained brown and the air ducts are held up by duct tape.

5. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Don't forget the Hurricane Cafe on 7th between Blanchard and Bell.

Came to major life during the grunge boom, and still looks/smells like a grunge hang out. Food is absolutely awesome. Still have an occasional sighting of a grunge-era hero in there. I saw Kim Thayil there last year.

Ahhh.....Beth's Cafe. A favorite hangout of Kurt Cobain, and supposedly the last place anyone saw him alive.

-Mike

6. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    There's a few Johnny Rockets and A&Ws around here. Another good one in Cleveland is-
    Swenson's Drive In-good burger joint with a million weird and great milkshakes

In Warner, NH there's a place (forgot the name) that looks like a pizza joint, but they also have a large Mediterranian menu with falafel, hummus, tabouli, and other great foods.

And in Connecticut:
    Hallmarks in Old Lyme-great hot dog and ice cream stand
    Seaswirl in Mystic-another great hot dog and ice cream stand which allegedy has the best clams in CT
    Gateway to India in Old Saybrook-best Indian food I've ever had
    Bee Bee Dairy in Norwich-old people love this staple restaurant in a dying mall, but it really has great food.

7. Gia

Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    roseability
    we've seen Against Will around tb for ages but he never seems to accumulate any more than 150 posts. It's a mystery we're trying hard to solve !

8. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Juanita's Taqueria in Encinitas, CA (just north of San Diego)

Pancho Villa Taqueria, Taqueria Cancun, Balazo Taqueria, Zona Rosa Taqueria. All in San Francisco, CA.

If I had a last meal it would come from one of the above places.

Tu Lan - Vietnamese in San Francisco, CA. Don't trip on the crack whores and junkies on the way in.

Chef Gia's - Chinese in San Francisco, CA.

9. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    For breakfast, don't pass up an opportunity to hit Pocahontas Pancakes if you're in VA Beach.

Round DC, hmmmm, Jerry's Subs makes a good sandwich. It ain't Philly, and it ain't healthy, but I dig it. I love their cheesesteaks FWIW.

10. Gia

Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    roseability
    woohoo!

we didn't know we had a restaurant :)

11. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    Well if any of you are ever in Charlottesville, VA (which I doubt), here are a few places to eat:

Bodo's Bagels - There are I believe three locations in Charlottesville. One on US29 right next to the 250 bypass, one on Preston Ave, and I don't know where the other one is.

Zazus - They make really good wraps. It's on Ivy right past the U-Heights apartment complex

The Tavern - For breakfast. Like most everything else in Charlottesville, it's on 29.

There are also lots of good places to eat on the downtown mall, though some of them can get kind of expensive.

Charlottesville has more restaurants per capita than any other city in America, so I'm sure it won't be so hard to find a place to eat.

12. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

John G's on the Atlantic Ocean at Lake Worth Beach, Lake Worth, FL has won the award of "Best Breakfast in Palm Beach County" for years and years. But get there FIRST, especially during the tourist season or you will have a long, long wait for a table. Even if you must wait, however, you will not be disappointed in your meal.

If the line is too long, check out Benny's on the Beach which sits right on the Lake Worth Fishing Pier. Rustic ambience, pretty good food, and wonderful scenery.

Two Jay's deli on Lake Avenue, Lake Worth, FL has the best deli food and take out for the best price at all hours. John G's closes at 2:00PM. Plus 2 Js has an enormous menu. I LOVE their tomato dill soup and their carrot cake.

Banana Boat on the Intracoastal in Boynton Beach, FL has a killer view, hugely popular bars inside and out and a large variety of food. Boats and yachts pass by regularly for your entertainment. Lively reggae bands play on the weekend. I love BB late at night.

Next door, I should say, next dock, is Two Georges restaurant, slightly more down scale and no less popular. It has some "swing tables" that swing as you eat and are great fun. Both BB and 2Georges are separated by a marina which is home to many fishing baots for hire. Very scenic.

Ellie's Fifties Diner in DelRay Beach, FL has a huge menu and an authentic fifties ambience.

Little Havana on the corner of Forest Hill Blvd and S.Dixie Highway in West Palm Beach, FL is THE place for authentic Cuban cusine.

Cheesecake Factory at City place, West Palm Beach...more upscale, but who has a bigger menue and larger portions? Plus City Place is a cool place to visit, especially to sit under the royal palms and people watch or enjoy the dancing fountain in front of Bellagio's restaurant.

You might also want to check out Brewzzi's restaurant on the second floor of City Place. They have an impressive menue and brew their own beer on the premises. Or try the Brewzzi's on Glades Road in toney Boca Raton.

My son swears the best pizza in West Palm Beach is at Pizza Girls on Clematis across from the public library. Right beside that is a quaint and very popular ice cream parlor.
    Brogue's Irish Pub on Lake Avenue in Lake Worth and Rooney's Irish Pub on Clematis in West Palm Beach are authentic Irish pubs and fun, fun places, especially at night. Del Ray Beach has an authentic English Pub on Atlantic Avenue, the Blue Anchor, which was disassembled in England, brought to DelRay and reassembled EXACTLY there. The owner even claims the ghost of a murdered lady even came along from England and is "seen" from time to time in her new country.

Lantana has a dockside restaurant on the Intracoastal that is in the oldest house in Lantana which gives it its name, The Old House. They specialize in seafood. The ambience is rustic. The view is spectacular.

For seafood fresh off the boat, you MUST check out the Gulfside restaurant at Mile Marker 81 in Isla Morada, FL in the Keys. This is a scenic outdoor restaurant right beside a marina and a huge Bass Outdoor Sports store that specializes in gear and clothing for deep sea fishing and sport fishing as Isla Morada is the "World's Capital of Deep Sea Fishing." Furthermore, inside it has the yacht Ernest Hemingway modeled his very own yacht the Pilar after. You are even allowed to climb around in it.

13. Burgers N Beans- Marlow OK/ Greasy burgers, lots of beans. but only open from 11-2.

Del Rancho- Tahlequah OK/ Better than the other del ranchos in OK imho.

Bills Catfish- Waurika OK. Good Catfish, right next to waurika lake and the Red River, mmmm mmmm good.

Bobs Catfish- Meridian Ok- Good Catfish too. And good fried pickles.

Tastee Freez- Duncan OK.... good. the only tastee freez ive been to in OK.

Taquerilla Vallarta- Ardmore OK= wow, the best tacos ive had in oklahoma so far...

ummmm. I cant think of many others right now. I gotta go, get back to you later on that.

14. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Monty's Grill, Woodward Ave. Royal Oak, MI

15. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    Pizza everywhere!
    Bagels too..... Whitefish Salad...mmmmmmm....

{swooshes out of the office for lunch..... ummmm... swoosh?}

16. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    Weber's - Hwy 11 Orillia - north of Toronto going into Cottage Country - a mandatory stop....

[​IMG]

On another note, did anyone catch that documentary on America's greatest sandwiches on PBS this weekend. Yup, I was bored...anyways - they covered everything from Kelly's roast beef to the Philly cheese steak....Sandwiches You WIll Like

DD

17. Electricmayhem

Electricmayhem

Dec 18, 2003
    NH
    Here in Manchester NH we have an awesome little diner- the Red Arrow. 24 hour breakfast, shakes, you name it-the Arrow's got it.

It was voted one of the Top Ten Diners in America by USA Today!

Alright, that's enough...
    Wait, here's a link: www.redarrowdiner.com

18. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Mauricios Mexican Cantina...

Steves Pizza

Hodel's Buffet

Mexicali

Frugattis Italian

Country Boy Drive In

and then in the eastern/southern states.... They have the best resteraunts in the world... CRACKER BARREL!

19. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Taco Loco in Laguna Beach, California.