Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Quality of a bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by oldgreyOlds, Jul 16, 2005.

1. oldgreyOlds

oldgreyOlds

May 12, 2005
    Delta, BC
    Well, Im pretty much decided Im going to get my new fender. http://www.guitarstop.com/Fender/jazzbass24.htm this sucker if anyone really cares. But its made in Korea. Plays great, sounds amazing, and the parts are brand name. So the only thing Im not 100% on is the contruction of the bass itself. Bridges can be changed, but if the bass is built bad, whats the point? So is there any way I can tell how well the bass was constructed, or how good wood was used to constuct, it short of removing that wonderful paint job? thanks.

2. TheNerdBass

TheNerdBass

Jun 30, 2005
    Detroit, MI
    Here's a quote from an SX thread.

You can also check out the control cavity and see how the wiring is.

3. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    I have played this bass and it seems to be well made. Don't worry about where a bass is made just plug it in and play. What people here don't talk about is that Fender has a warranty for bad parts, if there is a defect they will fix it providing you are the original owner.

4. oldgreyOlds

oldgreyOlds

May 12, 2005
    Delta, BC
    Pyrohr, you say youve played it. Any idea what year fender made that bass? Because it doesnt show up in their online catalouge. Nerdbass, what your saying is that the bass should sound good if Im playing acousticly, right? That quote sort of lost me. Thanks for the tips though guys.

5. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    It's actually brand new from Fender. It's an FSR or factory special run made for Guitar center (musicians friend). When Fender makes FSR basses they don't show up in catalogs. It's an FMT bass, a cheaper version of the MIA bass(which I happen to own). It comes with duncan pups and pre-amp with hipshop licenced tuners. They also came out with a cheaper FSR Reggie Hamilton bass.
    So your answer is 2005.

6. oldgreyOlds

oldgreyOlds

May 12, 2005
    Delta, BC
    Me and the guy at Long and McQuade (canadian music chain) spent ages trying to find it on the site, and I spent a fair share of time myself. I spent a lot of time looking up what I could about the bass, and was trying to establish whethere that hardware was any good. I liked the bass, but you own the MIA. how does this one stack up?

7. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Mine is a 5 string with samarium cobalt noiseless pups in it, a bound and blocked neck, adjustable tension tuners. it's made out of premium conponents and is Fenders top of the line production dlx bass. The MIK version is what it is, an affordable active bass with a figured maple top. They threw in the Seymour Duncan stuff to make the deal more atractive. Like I said it a nice sounding bass and it will give the Geddy Lee, the 60's classic, the hwy 1, MIM dlx a run for their money.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=bass/search/detail/base_pid/515038/

8. oldgreyOlds

oldgreyOlds

May 12, 2005
    Delta, BC
    Alright, thanks. I was already set to buy the bass, I was just wondering if anyone had anything bad to say about it. Although, Musicians friend says the brigde is top-loading, but I could have sworn the one I have on hold is strung through-body. Is there even any difference soundwise between the two? Though this is encroaching on the setup forum...

9. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    It is strung both ways, and it makes no difference,

10. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    I have the same one. I like it. I picked it over a Geddy and an Aerodyne. :bassist:

11. All of the basses that I have that are strung through body have a very noticable sustain difference. It couples directly with the body= More sustain and that is a difference. it does not make it a better bass but to say being able to string through body makes no difference I don't know. But that is just my opinion and as usual YMMV. I am not trying to say anyone is wrong just that there is a difference between top loaded and string through sound and sustain. Play one strung through and one top loaded and see what you like. :bassist:

12. oldgreyOlds

oldgreyOlds

May 12, 2005
    Delta, BC
    the made in korea one?

13. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I've played it. Played every jazz bass that Guitar Center had one day, then the guy pulls this one out of the box and hands it to me. First player on this brand new bass and my jaw dropped. It played great and I couldn't believe when he said it was MIK. Fender's really bringing up their foreign QC.

14. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Yup. This one right?

[​IMG]

It was a hard decision as the Geddy and Aerodyne were great basses. But the active EQ just the 24 a better tone range.

15. oldgreyOlds

oldgreyOlds

May 12, 2005
    Delta, BC
    Thats it. Did you take the pic of it lying in spend casings? Cause thats just cool.