Quality of Avatar Speakers?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Soapbox Prophet, May 27, 2001.

1. I was searching through Ebay and I found some super cheap speakers made by avatar. They use eminence delta 15' speakers.....
    here is the description:
    This a brand new Avatar B115,15 inch bass guitar speaker cab. We are the manufacturer so you are getting this factory direct. It has an American made Eminence Delta 15 LF bass speaker which has a large 56 oz. magnet, a 2.5 inch high temperature voice coil and is rated at 300 rms watts (600 max.watts) This would sound great by itself, or in conjunction with a 210 or 410 speaker cabinet. It is made of 3/4 inch PLYWOOD which is stronger and lighter than particle board, covered in black carpet, has large deep recessed bar handles, protective corners,dual rear ports, dual in/out 1/4 inch phono jacks for daisy chaining with other speakers, and a full face grill. Weight is 55 lbs. and it is 25" H x 25" W x 16.5" D. Buyer to pay shipping of $39.00 (continental US only). This is a NO RESERVE item. Visit our website www.avatarspeakers.com for more product info

does anyone know anything about these speakers? like quality? I just need something that sounds good (punchy, but bringing up the low end) and can take a beating from road use. alright thanks.
    chris murray
  2. The Delta 15LF is ideally installed in a 21 cubic foot enclosure. Putting it into a 5 cubic foot enclosure cuts the usable response to -6dB at low E. The power handling ability is also down because it is stuffed into too small of a box.

The Eminence Kilomax Pro 15 is much better suited for 5.2 cubic feet.
  3. MikeyD

Sep 9, 2000
    Never heard of them before, but the concept may be similar to Carvin's. However, their site says they retail but are now also offering factory direct for lower prices - ?? Seems their retail outlets might not like that too much.

The cabinet sizing appears to be competitive with those of most other manufacturers, however it is not clear to me that they are actually using the Eminence Delta model in the one you are considering. A 6 dB drop at low E is quite common, BTW, for a lot of cabinets, as far as I've seen spec-wise, so I don't see it as a big disadvantage over some similar ones. However, without any specs (frequency response, sensitivity, etc.), it will be hard to tell without hearing it.

I personally would try to get some opinions from other owners and maybe do a D&B or BBB search to make sure the company is legit and reputable. I'm curious about the brand, too.

- Mike
  4. mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    I have 3 of their wedge monitors and they are great. Loaded with Eminence speakers, have performed flawlessly.