1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Quality of Double bass

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by dbdbdip, Oct 13, 2013.

1. dbdbdip

dbdbdip

Oct 13, 2013
    What would be the price and brand of double bass that has comparable quality to a fender american standard strat in guitar?

2. Violen

Violen Instructor in the Vance/Rabbath Method Banned

Apr 19, 2004
    Kansas City Metro Area
    Endorsing Artist: Conklin Guitars (Basses)
    I had something totally awesome to say to this, but i think it would be better to ask,

Can we just lock this one right now?

3. SeaMist_au

SeaMist_au

Aug 28, 2012
    Australia
    Unhelpfully there are no words..........

4. dderatz

dderatz Supporting Member

Sep 1, 2010
    Let's rephrase this: What is a good quality mass produced double bass? You probably need to eliminate the made in the US part, as there are probably not any.

5. SeaMist_au

SeaMist_au

Aug 28, 2012
    Australia
    Having said that, I'm going to try. You can't compare a bass guitar, quality wise, to a double bass. Ever. In any context. Hence unfortunately, there is simply no answer to your question.

6. read this...

http://wiki.talkbass.com/index.php?title=Beginner's_Guide_to_buying_a_Double_Bass

Actually, I think there can be a comparison... in that a DB will be priced at about 5x to 8x as a BG of similar value in that category. eg. Entry level BG, about $300, entry level DB about $1500-$2400. Continue from there. A $1000 BG, is similar to a $5000 - $8000 DB, in regards to quality of tool used by a musician in professional circumstances.

7. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Commercial User

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    Owner of The Bass Spa, String Repairman at Long & McQuade Vancouver
    I'd say an Upton ply or Shen SB80 is in the ballpark as a comparable to a US made Strat.

The setup and finish are probably a little better than the Strat, but either of those instruments should be lore or less grab and go with some setup adjustments to make a better match between player and bass.

8. groooooove

groooooove Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    i see where you're coming from, the instruments are a lot less alike than many uninformed electric players believe. but i mean, i could compare USA fender basses to ludwig USA drums- different instruments, but similar deal- good quality, not the best, but perfectly fine workhorse instruments.

while it's actually easier to compare drums to EB than DB to EB, i'll try and be mature and give a real answer to this "east to be snoody about" question..

there are quite often for sale in the $4000-6000 range old(ish) german or tyrolean basses, i'd say these count. my bass is ~100 year old tyrol flatback and it's a good quality bass with a pleasing tone, i'd put it in this category. or maybe shen's middle-of the line hybrids? or for that matter, any decent (upton or similar??) hybrid bass will have a nice sound and pretty much work in most situations, and could easily be a top notch players backup bass.

the big issue is that all DBs are unique. nobody can go out and buy a bass just like mine. even two basses of the same exact description- for example, who else has a ~100 year old tyrolean flatback? (lets pretend someone in the front row just raised their hand and said "i do.") do you think that bass sounds and feels and behaves exactly like mine? no, im sure it doesnt!

even two basses from the same maker, say two upton gary karr basses, both made this year, they may sound totally different.

so, there is no "real" equal. but there are many good quality workhorse basses than get people results they're happy with.

9. dbdbdip

dbdbdip

Oct 13, 2013
    What I meant was a double bass that's got a fine sound with a 'reasonable' price range, regardless of it's orgin country or finish and stuff. But I now see that that is really hard to compare too.
    I am a newbie in double bass so this was hepful enough.

10. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Commercial User

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    Owner of The Bass Spa, String Repairman at Long & McQuade Vancouver
    The basses I suggested do exactly what you asked, and one of them is made in Connecticut, too.

11. Violen

Violen Instructor in the Vance/Rabbath Method Banned

Apr 19, 2004
    Kansas City Metro Area
    Endorsing Artist: Conklin Guitars (Basses)
    Resonable Double bass? Try a KC Strings. Like the other models they start at ~1500 and go up. You can get a fully carved for 3200. They all play incredible, as they have to. In this day and age a reputable shop has to have competititve instruments. People talk about Upton and Shen, but KC Strings gives you as much bang for your buck.

I think something the OP has to realize is that electric guitars and basses are kind of the bottom of the instrument market. How much does a decent trumpet or sax cost for a college freshmen, and then for a graduate?

Ever seen a marimba for sale? A lot of these electric players don't realize the scope of how much instruments cost outside of the rock shop.

Realize that 1500 is reasonable for someone with a decent income, and KC Strings does payment plans.

The point of entry is higher for some things than others.

12. SeaMist_au

SeaMist_au

Aug 28, 2012
    Australia

Thanks for rephrasing. In the BG world you can make an easy prediction of what an instrument will sound like. A Sadowsky sounds like a Sadowsky, a fender Jazz sounds like a Fender Jazz. You can tell them apart because they are consistent. You can predict bang for buck easily..
    In the DB world while there is sort of a consistency, really each bass can have a uniqueness that you mightn't suspect. Then add into that string choice, set up (huge differences there) and it's difficult to predict exactly what an instrument will sound like, beyond ok, good and oh my. Then there is capability of the player. The best players can make mediocre instruments sound good. And vice versa with say me and a 40,000 instrument lol.

Be prepared to be a bit shocked as to the cost of any double bass above what is euphemistically called a student bass in terms of quality.
    My advice is to maybe hire one for a bit, get a few lessons on it and then try out a few others. You will then be able to make a more informed choice.
    Good luck with your search.

13. I disagree. Fender guitars and Kay/Engelhardt basses are, in my mind, the perfect examples of American industry as applied to stringed instruments. Mass-produced on an assembly line, toxic sprayed nitro finish, and eyebrow-raising design quirks. If it breaks, we'll sell you another!

More seriously, as has been noted, there is no comparison between a guitar and a doublebass. Much of the advice you've been given has been of the "what's the least expensive decent thing you can buy" variety.

If you want to play the big bass, follow it verbatim. Lots of hard-won experience went into the advice you were freely given.