Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Quality of EHX Pedals Nowadays

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by TaySte_2000, Mar 1, 2005.

1. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Now I always heard that EHX pedals were tone suckers, and they used random cheap parts that were available at the time when building these.

But Tecx told me that all the new EHX pedals are true bypass and the quality has gone up. Can anybody vouch for this I'm thinking of picking up a Bassball, Black finger or Tube Zipper or even all of them.

I never thought they looked very study from the outside.

So just give me your opinions on these pedals if you don't mind peeps

Cheers

2. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    Hey HEY!! I Never said that the quality was better, I just said that all USA EHX pedals had TB now... :p

Twist my words around will yah!.. Why I aughta!..

Alex

ps. the quality control at EHX is still quite questionable...

3. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    So would you ever own an ehx pedal then my friend.

Are there any boutique options to the pedals I've mentioned, I'm thinking the black finger more for tonal properties than just compression.

4. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    The way I understand it, the quality of the USA line is superior to the Russian line. I own a Russian BassBalls and it's ok, but I always wonder if the American alternative would have been a better choice....

The Russian Big Muff PI I used to have had serious bass issues, but it sounded fantastic when used with a guitar.......

5. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    Well I curently own 1, The Holy Grail reverb pedal... And I LOVE it... It has been on my board for 3 years...

Alex

6. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    I own the USA Big Muff, and Small Stone phaser. Both were sturdy, the Small Stone in particular. The knobs are really cool and sturdy. The only thing that sucks about EHX pedals is the damn battery door. I don't see why EHX doesn't try to make it easier to change the batteries. :confused:

Graeme :)

7. Perfect-Tommy

Perfect-Tommy

Mar 28, 2004
    Ohio
    Of course, I am almost a EHX whore, but I have never been let down by any of their USA products. The casings do tend to get scratched easily, but that's of no matter to me. I don't buy them cause they're pretty.

8. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    Russian Big Muff owner and the casing is very strong and it is pretty well built. It does suck a lot of bass out right now but i'm eventually going to mod it.

9. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    If I had found TB sooner, I probably would have modded my Big Muff instead of selling it. The thought never occurred to me until all of you started giving me ideas. I guess it's never too late.......

10. im a big fan of the black finger...the thing is pretty sturdy except id like the tubes to be a bit more protected...i currently am having some sort of problem with mine (possibly my own fault) but when it works (and it has for like 2-3 years solid), its awesomely fat and warm

11. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    I was looking at this in the hope it would get me that more vintage neve or urei studio compressed tone live, I'm not a huge fan of compression to be honest I can't really hear what it does so this is more from a tone aspect what do you think?

12. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    The quality of EH products well and truly sucks!
    A guy I know imports them into the U.K. and I get to repair the ones that are dead straight out of the box.
    Currently this is running at about 10 per cent...... yep ... 10 out of every 100 instant failures!
    Not to mention those that get sent back under warranty!
    The cases are flimsy, the stomp switches and pots are probably the cheapest you can get, the power adaptor sockets are a joke, the internal wiring is poor at best.
    The quality of build is appaling!
    To the poster who was worried about his pedal being Russian, ..Don't! ... It's in all probability far BETTER built!
    I know people rant about "Behringer" being rubbish but even their stuff is better put together!

:mad:

13. taystee...i think u need to try one out...take a little bit and fiddle around w/ the gain and compression ratio u want...truth be told i cna get very thin sounds out of the box as well, but it is very warm IMO...if u cna get a hold of one to try, give it a go and see how u like it...if ur really lookin for those vintage studio sounds, this might be able to do it for u...i use it in the studio 90% of the time for my compression and it sounda great...it helps me cut thru a bit mroe live as well...im jsut rambling now, try one out for urself

14. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

What kind of problem are you having? My Black Finger has a problem too. Basically, I can't disengage it. When I do, it crackles and statics really badly. Fortunately, I have a 2 channel Loooper, and have all of my pedals where they can be isolated from the signal chain. So, when I don't need compression, I just turn that loop off.

Despite the problem with my BF, it is a killer compressor. It sounds as good as a lot of expensive($250 - $500) rackmount compressors I have used. It has that authentic, tube driven lamp compressor sound, and has an LED setting too, to give it some flexibility. It can be very transparent, at higher settings is capable of some extreme squash, and works as a great tube overdrive too. It sounds great for bass, vocals and guitar.

15. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    First I've ever heard of this. I've owned maybe two dozen USA EHX pedals over the years, never had a dead one, and have had maybe another two dozen come through my posession for modifications and have never had a problem with the build quality, or any of the parts for that matter.

I use the same switches and jacks they do in my commissioned pedals, and I've never had a failure either. Their wiring is top notch recently, and they work great!

The only complaint is with the case, it scratches easily. I've got a quick fix for it. Strip all the components from the case, and a quick shot of clear spray enamel. Never had an EHX case scratch easy after that. (Common mod I do for people actually)

16. embellisher: my problem comes from i BELIEVE cranking the gain way too high to get some serious overdrive w/ some fat compression...it sounds like i blew something, i think its the tubes but ive been told by many others that the tubes should be fine...im thinking i messed up something else (i dont kno what)

Im having it looked @ this summer, im @ school and i dont trust anywhere near me to do a good job on it, but if any1 else knows what these are symptoms of, let me kno:

no matter what the gain setting, it sounds crunchy
    volume is disproportionate as i adjust the gain
    i get a decent bit of noise from it now

it jsut sounds plain broken, it still compresses, but it sounds bad now...im determined to have it up and ready for this summer tho, so ill figure it out sooner or later

17. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    Next time I'm working on a few I'll take some close up photos!
    Maybe EH are in the habit of sending the substandard ones abroad!
    To be fair, the OLDER ones are o.k.
    The dramatic drop in quality has happened in the past six months to a year.
    Example:

An EH "Worm" that I fixed up had the following straight out of the (sealed!) box.

Ac adaptor jack - Broken,fixing missing and wired back to front.

Indicator Led wired back to front.

Broken pot (the back was completely off and rattling around inside).

Trim pot on pcb "wiper" part missing (!)

Very bad soldering to jacks (dry joints)

Fixing screws on case, most of the holes drilled inaccurately and the screws done up so tight they had "stripped" and were no longer doing anything.

Case ALREADY scratched!

Sad thing is, this is not at all (in my experience anyway) unusual!
    It's a shame because when they do work they sound excellent.
    I would go for the Russian built "bassballs" over the U.S. one anyday, the Russian ones are built like tanks!
    :(

:(

18. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Maybe they do. I guess you can't just drive over and punch their lights out like we can ;)

19. I just bought a EHX Smallstone and a Big Muff (both russian)

No problem yet. Build solid, sounding good. No change of sound when turned off, and the big muff doesn'T eat any bass-frequencies at all.

20. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    Just in case anyone doubts, here's a picture of one of my basses.
    Don't look at the pretty lights but the EH wooden crates containing units to be repaired!
    (Actually ..... the wooden crates were the best part of this batch .... at least they worked!) :meh:

Attached Files: