Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

quality of tab archive

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Matthias, Aug 21, 2000.

1. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    I put this thread already on the 'General Instruction' forum - only one reply, so I try it here.

I recently had to work out some songs note by note and just for curiosity I compared my results (wich are correct, I'm absolutely shure) with the archived tabs.
    I did this with 3 songs and I'm stunned:
    This tab archive is worth NOTHING in 2 of 3 cases.
    1 song is simply completely wrong (I would really like to hear that )
    with 1 song the most complicated part (interlude) isn't there at all (quote: "there's something I couldn't get") and there are faults too
    only 1 song is o.k., there are only 2 unimportant faults

I admit that this is a very small sample, not suitable to judge the whole archive, so I wonder if the quality of the tab archive really that bad?

I also read the thread about tabs versus standard notation and I agree that standard notation is far better, but harder to read for beginners.
    But why use tabs at all, if it is not a good method AND the quality of available tabs is crap?

Matthias

BTW I don't want to offend anyone submitting tabs to this archive, but I'm afraid there are people who are not too sure about what they are doing. One should be aware of that.

2. gmstudio99

gmstudio99

Mar 11, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    Precisely. :)

-GM

3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I must say that I've "sneaked a peak" occasionally and found some strange things; and it makes you wonder why people do this. It must take so much effort, that it would actually be easier to learn notation. I've looked at some and thought that's not the way it was played, whereas if you look at some of the Jaco transcriptions of solos etc. on the Web in standard notation, it can be very helpful in terms of understanding and integrating ideas into your own playing.

I think that in terms of Tabs on the Net it can often be a case of "the blind leading the blind" or I heard an alternative version of this from an Italian, which may be mroe appropriate : "In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is King!"

[Edited by Bruce Lindfield on 08-21-2000 at 07:57 AM]

4. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    when I started playing bass a few months ago, i downloaded tons of tabs. I found out quickly that there are so many mistakes. Tab did help my ear believe it or not. Now if I am learning a cover tune, I do it by ear.

Just learned "Sun goes down" by thin lizzy last night. Straight forward simple song. I may upload that since I am confident that I have it right.

5. BaroqueBass

BaroqueBass

Jul 8, 2000
    Salem, OR
    I believe the phrase "You get what you pay for" applies rather nicely here. If you go out to your music store and pay 20 bucks for a nice big tab book, I'm sure you'll get high quality, accurate tabs. If you just surf the net, getting free tabs, expect the quality to be less than professional. The professional-looking tabs that DO appear on the net are usually just copied straight out of the commercial tab-book, or from like Bass Player Mag. The only things that tabs have going for them, in this Internet-Age, is that they're easy to use over the Net.