Quality or Quantity?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by kirbywrx, Feb 21, 2003.

1. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    In our english class a few days back the topic of "Quality or Quantity" was brought up.

Lets say you were a commanding officer for an army and you had to go to war. Would like like to have 40,000 privates, or 5000 marines. Alot of untrained ones, or a few good ones? And when i say war, i mean like a battle in ancient england, like crusades and all that :D

Aparently doctors can ask you this question and it helps them decide how your mind works.

Quality or quantity?
  2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    It depends (like we didn't expect it).
    Did it have to be a military example?!?
  3. Depends a little on how you use them.

A lot of little things can easily out way a few great things.

But if you know how to use the great things, you're unstoppable.

If not, it doesn't make much difference.
  4. well, with the military example, if what you had to get done didn't require as much knowledge and experience as it did just plain old force (obviously some know-how is needed, but the privates do have some, just not as much as marines), then quantity would be the way to go.
  5. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Late edit: I mean battles as in the old crusades :)
  6. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I think fewer highly specialized troops would be more effective, but it depends on the objective....ya know. Cannon fodder could be useful in some scenerios
  7. Ghosta

Jan 18, 2003
    Well if you put this in a gaming perspective, i would say, Quality over Quantity.
  8. Speakin' as a former Warhammer-ite. I would say the Quality, in general, is much more handy.

Especially if they are VERY high quality. Because high quality troops can usually take a good handful of grunts down before falling. Still, you have to be careful about plugging holes.
  9. Jeremy_X

Jan 29, 2002
    In this example, what's the other side look like weaponry wise? What are their troops like skill wise? Are they dug in or are we meeting in a field? The questions go on and on.

In general I like a little bit of both. I prefer great quality in large quantities. Cheesy but some was bound to say it.....