Quality Passive Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by wingslax, May 27, 2004.

1. wingslax

Jun 18, 2003
    Hey, are there any basses out there that are really quality passive basses out there besides Fenders? any input is helpful, thanks
  2. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    carvin, yamaha (attitude) im pretty sure its passive, if not its active/passive, musicman, im sure theres other i cant think of now.
  3. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    2nd the attitude, and it is passive. also dingwall after burners are a real nice passive bass.
  4. one of my personal favorites... mtd kingston.
  5. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Warwicks are half passive.

My Steinberger XM will be passive soon, as soon as my Rio Grande Pitbulls arive. Woo!
  6. JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    You can get just about any high-end bass without a preamp if you'd like. Of course, many of these basses come with active/passive swithes or push/pull pots, but if you're looking for simplicity, then it should be fairly easy to accomplish.
  7. munkyboy

Feb 1, 2004
    I'm pretty sure the Dingwall Afterburner sets the bar for passive basses.
  8. Visirale

Mar 23, 2003
  9. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    G&Ls function quit well passively, and have a ton of options within passive mode. Then even more in active mode.

...I think I'm becoming a G&L shill, coincidentally.
  10. Hamer Cruise bass! Awesome bass, and you can get them at a reasonable price. I just bought one and I love it!
  11. keb

Mar 30, 2004
    Another vote for Rickenbacker, if you like that style and tone (it's not for everyone, I'll admit.) I've had mine for 12 years and it's a warrior.

12. I use mine in passive mode almost all the time..... :hyper:
  13. Another vote for the Yamaha Attitude.....I also have a Guild B-301 which is passive and very nice!

The rest of my collection are active, 1 of these is switchable passive/active(my Fender!)
  14. I have a Roscoe that has passive tone controls. But the pickups are active EMGs which make it sound really bright with the tone pot turned all the way up.
  15. Hamer USA 2-TEK Cruise Bass with Dimarzio Ultra Jazz pickups.
  16. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    Dingwall & Ric. woohoo!
  17. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    The Lakland Joe Osborn is both passive and awesome. Look for basses with passive Lindy Fralin pickups, those are high quality passive basses.
  18. :hyper: