Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Quality Power Amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by funkysurfer, Aug 20, 2001.

1. I am looking for a power amp that is clear, punchy, and can also provide warm, deep low end. I currently own a Peavey 410TX cab that is 8ohms/350 watts RMS/700 watts max. programmable. What power amps are recommendable to use with the bass, and will I be able to get the sound I am looking for? I am also looking for a preamp, any recommendations would be appreciated. I have about 850 bucks to work with now, but I am able to buy a poweramp first, and combine it with my current head till I can afford a preamp.
    Thanks in advance,
    Shawn

2. FalsehoodBass

FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    hey.. im not the expert on poweramps, but i have a mackie 1440 and i love it. Supposedly it weighs a lot more than the others but i'm not complaining. As far as preamps go... the swr grand prix is clean, but they don't make them anymore, the ampeg svp-pro has that awesome dirty sound, and I know Eden makes a nice one too.. look around.. goodluck..
    oh and i suggest getting a poweramp that has way more power than you need right now.. you can always turn it down, but when you need the power and its not there.. life sucks..

3. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Carvin DCM1000.
    My preference.

4. RS

RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    Luis,
    Do you find the DCM 1000 has enough power? I've heard Carvin are a little overrated power-wise.

5. Greg Beasley

Greg Beasley Guest

Aug 12, 2001
    Over Here
    You have got to check out the QSC RMX 2450 power amp. It has up to 2400 watts bridged mono (4-ohms) power output but at stereo 8 ohms won't blow your world apart. It also has a killer 5hz,30hz,or 50hz assignable roll off on each channel so you can taylor to any cabinet safely. I brought one home for $680.00 , you may have to pay a little more but it's worth it. I've heard the mackies are good but make frequent trips to the shop. Good luck.;)

6. Au contre mon ami, I have several friends who have Mackies. Sound Guy at work uses two 1400i's, never had any problems, Our soundman who records us also has an 800 watt which he has never had problems. i am planning on getting a 1400i soon as well