1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Quality practice amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ZoSoIV, Feb 28, 2008.

1. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV

Mar 28, 2007
    Massachusetts
    Right now I own a Fender Rumble 15. Thing sucks. It gets muddy and I can't play it louder than halfway up or everything starts to crash. I'm looking for a low-watt amp to practice with, that is of good quality, gives good lows, and maintains distinction. Have any suggestions?

2. smogg

smogg

Mar 27, 2007
    NPR, Florida
    I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell
    look at the bassman line.......way better

3. You have a low-watt amp, thats probably the problem you are finding.

Big question, how much you looking at spending?

If not so much, Peavey have some really good combos.

If a bit more, Genz Benz Shuttle combos appear to be the bee's knee's, light weight and powerful, and if need be, you can take the amp section out and use it as a head.

4. TheJoSko

TheJoSko

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Depends on your price range. I love/d my Ampeg BA115HP as a practice amp. I'm positive it wouldn't be loud enough for my band practices or gigs so i never bothered. Its kinda expensive, but is solid, loud and has great tone. Definitely too heavy to move all the time at 77 awkward pounds.

On a side note, i have heard some good and bad things relating to the little brother of this one, the BA115. Mostly say it just doesnt have enough power. But for others, its the greatest thing ever.

I would recommend the BA115HP as a practice amp or for small clubs.

Well.... enjoy the search.

5. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV

Mar 28, 2007
    Massachusetts
    I own a Peavey TNT 115, and the things huge. Its got a lot of power to it and sounds great, but for my dorm room its just overkill. I want something between this massive amp I have at my house and this dinky thing I've got now. I'd look to buy used, and spend at most $150 (what I "stole" the TNT for).

6. Eublet

Eublet

Jul 28, 2006
    I have a little GK Backline 110 combo that I've had forever for practice, meaning by myself in a bedroom or something. It'll do a small, low volume rehearsal if you need it to. I think it's great for practice.

7. I have tried using practice combos that were low power and I just didn't get that tone I was looking for. It was missing the depth or headroom and it was constantly farting out with the B string. So when I showed up for group practice there was a bit of readjustment on how it was supposed to sound.
    I will not use a combo under 100 watts. It will depend on what you wish to spend. Read the reviews play a few and find one that sounds good and won't bust your bank new or for higher end maybe go used. I also found that 110 or 210 combos do not really handle a low B very well. 12's or 15's handle it nicely.
    Ampeg, Kustom, Peavey, Carvin, GK good combos and moderately priced. Let us know which way you went. Good luck.

8. Eublet

Eublet

Jul 28, 2006
    sebastian brings up a point. What do you mean by practice? Personal practice at low volume, or group rehearsal?

9. derelicte

derelicte

Dec 25, 2007
    NJ/NYC
    ORANGE CRUSH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. sonicnuance

sonicnuance Commercial User

Aug 30, 2003
    California, USA
    Engineer & Owner, Sonic Nuance Electronics
    I had to chuckle at this.

I owned a TNT130 in the 80's. The thing was ackward, weighed a ton and sounded like #%^@

At least apparently they fixed the tone

I have a PJB Briefcase. Sounds amazing, small, light but doesn't get loud enough for most gigs and is very expensive imho

11. collicsws6z28

collicsws6z28

Jan 29, 2007
    Fender Bassman 150