quality vs quantity

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by the wako kid, May 16, 2012.

1. the wako kid

the wako kid

May 11, 2011
    Denver,CO
    this is pretty simple.would you rather have one great playing expensive bass(for the sake of an example lets say a warwick corvette,or an MIA fender,or ernie ball MM) or 3 or four great playing,but cheaper basses(squier cv,rockbass warwick,low end ibanez etc)?

just wanted to know what you guys think.I'm part of the quantity group,I own 3 200 dollar basses.

two p's,one with rounds and quarter pounders for extreme punch,and one with standard pickups and flats for warm thumpy tone,and my ibanez 5 string,which I own because it's a 5.

2. jamzilla

jamzilla

Mar 28, 2012
    I'd rather have basses that I like.

3. TalkBass Sponsor

4. msb

msb

Jul 3, 2002
    Halifax,N,S. Canada
    I have a number of " quality" basses and it seems I do most gigs with my Dano Longhorn .

5. baileyboy

baileyboy

Aug 12, 2010
    I have a good quantity of quality basses

6. I prefer many quality basses that are unknown and bought cheap.

7. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I have one more a less high end bass. In 15+ years of playing, I've always owned just one bass at a time.

8. If the MIM's play as well as the MIA's, give me two MIM so I can have a P and a Jazz.

9. T-34

T-34

Aug 11, 2005
    France, Paris region
    So true

10. Bassbubble11

Bassbubble11 Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2010
    Long Island, New York
    I prefer great playing cheaper basses. Cheaper doesn't always mean less
    quality and expensive doesn't mean higher quality.

11. spoonido

spoonido

Sep 19, 2007
    Sierra Madre, California
    Endorsing Artist: Hagstrom, Mahalo
    One expensive instrument that works perfectly is better; but like those lousy little spare tires cars are now sold with, you never know when you're going to need a cheap spare.

12. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    I would consider the basses you named as good quality or standards.

13. TheDude007

TheDude007

May 18, 2010
    Kansas City
    I think this goes back to the age old debate of what makes something a quality bass. I personally think my Squier CV Jazz is a quality instrument. It's built good, it sounds good, that's quality to me. Is it the fact it's made in Indonesia and not America that makes it not quality? I've got a couple of older MIA Peavey's that go for nothing, but they're well built, sound fantastic, and made in America. To me they're very high quality, but the most expensive one was $200. I know this has been argued to death on this forum, but there are a lot of people that I think see a price tag and just instantly judge how good something is or is not based on that.

But I digress, the reason I have multiple basses is because they're each different and have different sounds. Sure my Peavey Foundation is similar to my Jazz, but it's not the same. If there were one $1000+ bass that could go from sounding like a Jazz to a Foundation to a Precision to a Hofner to a...whatever, sure then I'd probably be happy with just that one. Besides, I like having things in different finishes to suit my mood. So I guess take the bass I described above and give it a color changing finish too, then I'd be happy.

14. EskimoBassist

EskimoBassist

Nov 2, 2007
    Leeds, UK
    I'd glady just have one or two high quality basses than a hoard of cheaper instruments.

15. EskimoBassist

EskimoBassist

Nov 2, 2007
    Leeds, UK
    So this would be like some kind of chameleon morphing bass? If only!

16. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

Quality. I used to be one of those chumps that owned 12 mediocre guitars/basses/acoustics, I learned that is pointless (at least for me)

Why own a bunch of lame instruments I divide my time too when I can devote all my time into one quality instrument.

You ever do setup and maintenance on low grade basses let alone multiple low grade basses... never again.

17. +1

I like a wide variety of tonal options, so I have Rics, TBirds, P's, J's, semi-hollow short scales, passive, extended range active basses, you name it.

But for each one, I shot for the best bass I could find for the least amount of money. I put a whole lot more stock in whether a bass can be set up to play and sound well rather than how much I pay for it.

These days, $200.00 can get you a whole lot of quality.

18. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    I prefer one great playing/sounding cheap-assed bass.

19. metlman72

metlman72

Jun 29, 2011
    Long Island NY
    There are quality instruments at every price range. I like to have 2 quality basses at al times. When I say quality that is in my eyes. This does not mean expensive, blah, blah. I don't take to much stock in what Tom, Joe or Bob say is a great bass. A quality bass has a solid build, good tone, and just feels right when you are playing it. Most important it has to work within the structure of my band. If it does then it is quality in my eyes.

20. PBnJBassist

PBnJBassist

Mar 8, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    Used to own 2-3 less expensive basses myself. Now, I own one kick ass one. So, yeah, I'd rather have one great bass than a couple of decent ones.

21. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Quality, unless it was an absolute necessity that I owned more than one bass and couldn't possibly afford a quality one and a second (quality or not).