1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Quantifying the "small, med, and large" room

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Crockettnj, Dec 23, 2006.

1. Crockettnj

Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ
    Thought it might be interesting to hear what some opinions of what constitutes a small, medium, and a large indoor venue.

I'll start with the following:
    small club/bar can house approx 100 patrons if packed
    medium is 100-300ish,
    large takes it up to about 1500, and anything bigger is more on the order of small arena, and therefore very large.

do these sound about right?

2. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    That sounds about right.

3. + 1

4. Scott Lynch

Scott Lynch Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2002
    Delaware, USA
    Everything is relative. A seating number is a decent estimate of what to bring, but if you have the chance to check a venue out in advance, that is always the ideal thing to do.

5. high mileage

high mileage

Apr 17, 2006
    Rockford IL
    I'd say the numbers sound fair but there can be a lot of differences from room to room even if they're close in size. We usually play medium-sized rooms (by this scale) and all the rooms sound different.

6. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    hmm...

cant wait to hear what tommixx has to say. ;)

7. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    numbers sound about right. the other factor is the actual physical size of the venue, regardless of actual capacity. Some "small" rooms in terms of actual capacity end up requiring a "medium" rig due to structural oddities weird sonic properties, etc.

8. Now the next thing is to match reasonable wattage with those 3. ;)

9. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    I've worked often in a big Irish pub in downtown San Francisco with very high celings and multiple rooms. I was always back towards a corner (with a very large R&B hornband). We were 2/3rds of the way down one of the long walls of the rectangular room. We were not on a stage. The dance floor was backed by a half-height wall. There were always a lot of people. It was hard not be too boomy, and yet, we didn't need extreme volume...:hyper:

Basically, it was an always packed medium-to-large place with a hard drinking and dancing tourist crowd that soaked up sound (and beverages). It was hard to sound good being near a corner against a wall, but 350 watts (with a compressor) into a 4x10 and a 1x15 was more than enough to do the job with no DI to the PA.

Bottom line: It is good to quantify room terms. However, I guess it is obvious that their are many variables. While size matters, it is not anywhere near the whole story (IMHO). :ninja: