Quantizing on the GT6B

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by happyshooting, Jun 3, 2002.

1. happyshooting

May 31, 2002
    I'm re-posting this as my first (and only) thread was closed by someone who thought previous threads could answer my questions, which they haven't (I'd already gone down that road). Does anyone know the answer to my second question? I'm very curious. Thanks....

I haven't heard one of these things yet, I've only heard about them. They've sold out of them in Melbourne, Australia (I think they only imported a few!) Mostly positive feedback, but not too much detail and I haven't been able to find the full specifications list on the web.
    Basically, I'm trying to learn two things
    1. Exactly what effects are available and what parameters are adjustable?
    2. I want to find out what the guy in the store meant when it had "quantizing" abilities. How could it possibly quantize a sample "on the fly". I thought quantizing was the term used to describe the repositioning of midi information to fall on the nearest predetermined unit of time? Roughly, highly ignorantly speaking that is.
    Does anybody know? New stock will apparently arrive next week and I want to know what I should be looking for...what I should be madly twisting the knobs to try and reproduce when I plug this thing in.
  2. Sadly, Roland and Boss don't offer their manuals in digital form on the web, so any significant info is simply not available. You'll have to do with trying one out in the store, or borrowing the manual from someone you know who has the unit.

You've probably seen the ads on the Boss site. They're worth nothing.

There is however a growing number of GT-6 users, and it may be worth checking the GT-6 forums out. The GT-6B is practically the same unit, and controlling and tweaking them is comparable.
  3. happyshooting

May 31, 2002
    Thanks Joris. I don't suppose anybody out there has a manual they can scan and send me? Stock has been delayed again so I won't see this thing for a number of weeks! :eek:
  4. I've had the same problem when I was about to purchase a Boss VF-1. I went around the world (well, digitally) to find a manual, but couldn't find it, nor anyone who had scanned it. I resorted to having one ordered to try it out, and I drove the 40 miles to the store, tried it out, and wasn't too impressed. I bought it however, because the unit is a bargain anyway.

Patience my friend. And take your time when trying it out. Take a whole afternoon if you must. Tweak it. Use it, like you would on stage.
  5. happyshooting

May 31, 2002
    So I finally tried one of these out, two hours later I'm back at home, starting to read the manual. I'll get back when I've sussed it all out. All indications point to an exciting future together. Thanks for your input.
  6. Congrats dude - I'm still at the 'working it out' stage too. Sorry I couldn't input any more. I agree though, once sussed, I reckon it's a powerful little unit!