Quantum amps H&K

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Djeetn, May 3, 2005.

1. Djeetn

Jan 6, 2005
    I just sold my ampeg rig for a Hughes and Kettner Quantum 600 pro Head and 610 Pr Cabinet. This amp kicks ass! Extremely Loud, fat, punshy, lots of low end and you can shape this amp from the lowest bass tone to the crystal clear sharp tone! Check it out, the HK compagny are now redeeming the quantum prices! Last month: this rig costed 3300 euro. Now: 2700 euro!!!!
    More info: http://www.hughes-and-kettner.com
  2. I checked out that 600 head with the 8x10 cab - I found it very loud, but very boomy - not really that Hi-Fi sound typical of other Hi end tube hybrid designs - not my bag baby, but thats just my opinion - check it out for yourself if you are interested guys
  3. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Hmm, I've had one experience with H&K and it wasn't a great one. Well actually, I suppose it could of been now that I look at it.

Last year I played a large outdoor gig through a H&K (Not sure on Model) through an EV 212 and EV 15. Whatever I did, I couldn't seem to get rid of the treble, at the time (being low on live playing experience and just wanting that oh-so-used scooped/flat sort of sound) to me, it sounded really bad.
    Now that I listen to it, it really cut through nicely yet still had the lows, not as warm as i'd like though.

I've got some MP3's if anyones interested... It won't tell you what it's like, but a rough idea.

Anyway. Good luck with the new amp, hope you enjoy it! :)
  4. jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I´ve played the Quantum 2x10 and 1x15 combos and was really impressed. That rig must sound huge. Id definately put the sound in the Ashdown/Ampeg league but it sounded better than anything Ive tried from both those companies (Ive owned Ashdown ABM heads and SVT2 etc). The Eq especially was really smooth an clear.
  5. Djeetn

Jan 6, 2005
    Hello Jock,

Well, the rig does really sound huge and impressive. The reason why I sold the Ampeg was that it hadn't much balls to cut through a massive guitarsound and blasting drums (B2R with SVT 610HLF). My new rig just wastes allmost everything. Agree, Ampeg and HK is a world of difference but the HK is more my thing. The sound is punshier and clearer and it cut's like a knife through everything! It's worth every single euro! The combo's are indeed fantastic but I choose the head and cab cause then I would be settled for quite some time. :hyper: