1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Quantum mechanics and SS amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by St Drogo, Apr 20, 2010.

1. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    You somehow have the wrong idea

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    ok seamonkey, this has been going on for quite a while now, so here is your chance to set me straight once and for all. and i swear to you, hand to God, i will back off completely if you answer honestly, and as an extra bonus, i will be happy to take you out for a round or two at the local pub if you're ever in orlando. i know you're a learned guy, you obviously sort of know some things, but i don't get why when some of the best and brightest people in their fields correct you (btw, that's certainly not me, but it happens a lot where a manufacturer or mi engineer corrects you), you either ignore them and repeat the same things elsewhere at a later point, or you put up more arguments for your case only to get shot down time and time again. and you don't have to give specifics if you don't want to reveal too much about yourself. general answers will be fine for most of it.

so:

1. have you gone to college to learn any of this stuff? if so, what's the highest degree you've received?

2. do you or have you ever worked in the mi industry in any engineering or design capacity?

3. have you ever owned or gigged with an all-tube amp for any significant length of time?

4. if the answer to the last question is "no," what makes you qualified to discuss all-tube amp issues like maintenance, quality of the design, etc?

5. are there any other qualifications or reasons you feel you're qualified to give expert advice on the technical end?

honestly, i want to give you the opportunity to vindicate yourself, and i'm sure i'm not the only one who would like to know this stuff, too. if you choose not to answer, that is your right, but hand to God, no tricks, no bs, no more snide comments from me...i just want to know. and thank you in advance.

if i could prevail upon someone to quote this, i would appreciate it as seamonkey has long had me on ignore :D

3. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2004
    lost angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    In life, it isn't what you say (or saying something that is true/factual), but rather how you say it. :D

cartman-500-x-341.

4. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    man, those cricketts are getting loud. ;)

5. St Drogo

St Drogo

Oct 9, 2009
    Netherlands
    I wanted to ask if anyone has actually watched the documentary I posted, buuuuut, I'ma watch how this plays out first... :p

6. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Except you can't drop a tube from 30 feet and it expect it work (this I know from experience... with an AK, not an amp...)

7. nostatic

Jun 18, 2004
    lost angeles, CA
    I'm still trying to work the QM angle on this. I haven't killed any cats lately...

8. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Look - A puppet

I was referring to spambot's behrigner message. Which I won't bother hijacking this thread about. It's not worth escalating snide comments - if people feel better when they make them, then so be it.

I'll continue to ignore certain posters thank you.
    It's a good feature of this board. The moderators wouldn't leave it turned on if it didn't add value. It has kept me out of stupid arguments. People can ignore my posts also.

If you find my or anyone's posts offensive be sure to report them.

9. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Nice Schroedinger reference... See what a Cal Tech education gets you? And you told me "Chemistry is for butt-heads!"

10. nostatic

Jun 18, 2004
    lost angeles, CA
    I've changed my tune - chemistry is more of a Beavis thing.

At least I have a sense of humor unlike some around this joint. Jeez, you'd think that world peace hinged on the prose that drips from some of the keyboards here. I believe that there are some summa cum laude graduates of the University of Taking Oneself Too Seriously.

U-TOTS. It's important, dammit!!!

11. Bassmec

Bassmec

May 9, 2008
    Ipswich UK
    Proprietor Springvale Studios
    Its far too expensive in solid state to try to make a really serious all tube sounding amp, lets look at an industry standard transparent solid state contender for just the 6-9 odd db of compression involved in what might be a clean all tube amp sound.
    Right oh matey! You just added the price of a Neve 33609JD compressor to your power amp input stage.
    Neve solid state devices respond sound and feel a bit like valve amps but they are class A devices with heavy audio transformers in and out.
    so its little wonder that they share some similarities tonally.
    They of course cost at least twice as much as any solid state bass guitar amp.
    In real terms we are at about the same evolutionary place with tube amp modeling as we are with rubber replacement females.:bassist:
    PS. If it don't feel the same it ain't the same, ask Jimmy!.
    About bass amps and modeling that is!?:eyebrow:.

12. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    i don't find your posts offensive...just misinformed and based way more on what manufacturers and books say than actual practical application.

well, i tried to help you straighten us all out, dude. looks like i was right ;)

13. duderasta

duderasta

Feb 25, 2010
    Tampa, FL
    Let's not rush the demise of tube amps! you guys realize the weight and size limitations of tube heads are all we have keeping gui****s in check! What the heck are we going to do when they have 2000 + watt rack systems?

14. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    Fixed it for you.

Nowhere in the article does it state that these transmitters are EMP-resistant. And shielding doesn't help when you've got 700 foot antennas sticking out of your equipment, that's the EM equivalent of a lightning rod.

Shielding works both ways, you can either block all EM from going in (and hence all EM from going out), or you let the EM out, in which case an EMP has a route into your equipment. I can't see how you can shield military/civilian transmission/communication/detection equipment completely.

15. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    Isn't it just that in many cases, to see a tube amp makes people happy regardless of what it actually sounds like...?
    Same with big cabs...?

16. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    not for me it isn't. i don't look at the tubes or the cab, i listen to them.

17. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    if a non-tube amp or a tiny cab sounded like a tube amp and big cab and had that big presence that they have, i would play it. as a matter of fact, i WAS playing a ss amp and tiny cab, and while many facets of it were satisfying, in the end i like tubes and a big cab sound like much better. so i'm sorry, but i flat out reject that notion.

18. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    How about this
    The worlds most powerful currently operating transmitters

One reason they can lower the power output is the receiving devices are more sensitive, and they of course are SS.

Just because the article doesn't mention it doesn't mean they didn't build in EMP protection. Of course they did - these are the backup for GPS. And you can bet they built that in. It would be a big oversight if they didn't. If a large 'voltage' were to come in on the antena I sure there are spark gaps or high tech MOV devices.

19. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    That's actually a good point - the size an weight keeps guitarist from hauling too much power.

I don't like the term "gui****".
    Not PC in my book.
    Sensibly challenge might be better.

20. SpamBot

SpamBot

Dec 25, 2008
    St. Paul, MN
    +1