1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Quantum mechanics and SS amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by St Drogo, Apr 20, 2010.

1. SpamBot

SpamBot

Dec 25, 2008
    St. Paul, MN
    I agree with most of your post, but this I take issue with.... many a great guitarist (Most often in a jazz context) has played an SS amp. Most conspicuous are JC-120s and Polytones.

2. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    you know? you are exactly right. the JC-120 was a pretty darn good amp, the polytone's yes, but IMO, not as nice as the JC or a Fender. but then with jazz, its all about having a completely clean tone, and that isn't to say that the same guitarist wouldn't sound as good or better thru a tube rig.

hey, i actually really dig my GK 1001RBII, my Benz GBE-600, Eden WT550-B and my Yamaha BBT500-H, but they don't cop the same vibe as my Ampegs, Sunns, Fenders, Sound City or Marshalls.

3. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    DFW, Texas
    Well said!

Even though, for my sound/tone thang, I prefer SS.
    I still totally enjoy the sound of tubes.

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    hey man, he can quote a test done 30 years ago that proves tubes are dead.

;)

5. johnk_10

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    i can totally understand that. there are definitely alot of great sounding SS bass amps made today (more than ever), and i think that it's great, but to say that one is better than the other comes down to personal preference, which is how it should be. but IMO, to say that tube amps are an outdated thing of the past is just plain silly.

6. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    I can't compete with golden ears.
    Your special hearing abilities are far beyond mine. Golden ears are always far above the norm.

On an audiophile board I read comment about how hard someone pushes that tubes have some special sound correlates to the decade they were born in. This I believe.

You can believe what you want to believe. There have been double blind tests. And even informal ones on this board. And it always comes back to more claims than actual results. And of course nobody has measured proof.

Unless you have a blind test and measurements to back it up then It's all hype. The power of marketing is very strong. It's repeated in every industry that the best is not always what people push or believe is the best. Some will always enjoy a bitter cup of coffee, but you got to start with clean water.

If I can help one person decide to look at things objectively, and not biased, but with actual blind listening, then I'm glad to have helped.

7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    the thing you always forget is it doesn't matter what's on tape to the player. this is why i keep coming back to how i think you're a book reader and have zero experience with actual tube amps. i did a couple of those tests my own self, and while many couldn't tell the difference on a recording, i can certainly tell the difference when i plug into it and play it.

btw, don't pretend you're trying to get people to look objectively at solid state. you are on some weird crusade to stop people from using tube amps, and your posts are full of misinformation. i have no idea why you care so much, but it's really disingenuous for you to claim you're trying to get people to take an objective look.

8. johnk_10

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses

after reading your post about blind tests that you've read about and then constantly preaching it as gospel, for me it drastically reduces your credibility for me now. i can hear the difference, and most of my studio mates can too, and that's not even counting the 'feel' and respose of playing thru tube vs SS. heck i'm not even saying that one is better than the other, and i'm definitely not saying that one should replace the other. i mean why should it? if a tube amp gives you what your looking for, great. if a SS does the job you want, also great.

i would hope that you realize that you're doing the exact opposite. your position is anything but objective. if it works for you and you're happy, that's great, but to tell people to look elsewhere because of something you've read here, or on the internet in an audiophile forum, is IMO, a disservice. and even if you had years of real hands-on experience, which it appears that you don't, it would still just be your opinion.

oh, and yes, i have been told that i've been blessed with 'golden ears' by quite a few famous artists and producers, but even alot of my buddies that are alot less experienced than myself can hear the difference too. so i guess what i'm saying is that it doesn't always take 'golden ears' or a ton of experience to be able to differentiate between the two meduims.

9. baron665

baron665

Apr 9, 2010
    Michigan
    Dimebag Darrell used Randall Warheads. Which I believe were all SS. I know a lot of you guys don't like heavy metal, but he was one the more popular guitarists of the 90's and early 00's. I'm not against tubes, but not exactly for them either. I'm just saying.

10. johnk_10

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    yeah, i remember some guitarists using GMT's (early Gallien Kruegers) in the 70's and 80's too, but these are really exceptions. IMO, probably the best one was the Roland JC-120. we used sell Randalls in the 70's-80's, but IMO, they really weren't selling anywhere near like the Marshalls and Fenders back then.
    heck, even Randall which used to be a 100% solid state amp maker, now has the bulk of their guitar amp line being tube or at least hybrid amps.

There were some pretty cool Standels too, but again, how many guitarists are using SS amps nowadays?

11. johnk_10

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    i said good guitarists.

(JUST KIDDING!) ;)

12. johnk_10

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    oh yeah, i just thought of a couple others. there are always exceptions.
    Robbie Kreiger of the Doors used Acoustic 260's and Albert King used them too, but i'll bet Robbie doesn't use them anymore. ;)

13. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    You asked for an example of a modern tube transmitter (not shut down in the 70s). Bolshakovo started operation in 1991. The reason it was shutdown was because it was broadcasting over borders into Lihthuana, against EU regulations, not because it was inefficient.

Plenty many other examples of tube transmitters given here other than Bolshakovo too.