Quantum vs. Cirrus: need advice quickly (auction ends tomorrow)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Matt R Miller, Aug 10, 2004.

1. Matt R Miller

Matt R Miller

Apr 27, 2003
    I'm deciding between a Q5 and a Cirrus 5 for my next bass. There is a nice Q5 on ebay that I would bid on that ends tomorrow, so I have to decide soon if I'm going to snatch it up. What my biggest concern is is the difference in tones compared to the difference in price. I'm looking for a defined low end that's not boomy, and very clear highs when playing in the upper register. Slap is very important too, but I know from my searches here on TB ( ;) ) that both have some of the best slap tones on the market. I play mostly "jam band" music - i.e. Phish, Grateful Dead, etc.

So what do you guys think, go all out for the Modulus, or save a considerable amount and get the Cirrus. I'm only 17 and funds are there, but limited.
  2. hey bro....

I play the same style music as you....

if you want the Lesh(GD),Gordon(Phish),Schools(wsp) tone- go with the Modulus...because that's what they all play

I have a Cirrus 6 heading my way....I love the sound/feel of it and I was able to find one cheaper than the Quantam....either way you can't go wrong
  3. hondo8671

Apr 22, 2004

the Cirrus is your best bet for the $ if your only 17 the cirrus is what i would go for. i have a Cirrus 5 and you wont be unhappy with it to me they sound as good as the mods! thats
    my input. use the extra $ for a better amp setup! :bassist:
  4. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    This is a tough one because bye all acounts, both are outstanding basses. It is really up to you, when I made this same choice I chose the Modulus hands down. I like the fucused B and the slap tone. On a Modulus all notes are created equal, you cant go wrong though some people do not like the "graphite sound", I love it. Good luck in choosing
  5. Matt R Miller

Matt R Miller

Apr 27, 2003
    what im really concerned about is can the Cirrus get the clear, bell-like highs that the Quantum can? I imagine that quality has got to come partially from the graphite neck.
  6. Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    I've never played a Quantum much but the Cirrus has killer highs. You will have no problems there.
  7. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    agreed, you won't have problems cutting through with a Cirrus
  8. Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    Woa...the quilt on that Q5 is insane, maybe you should get that...damn, sorry I'm not helping at all. :bag:
  9. Humblerumble

Feb 22, 2004
    My guitarist does some work for D'Addario and they sent him a Modulus a year or two ago. I played it and it is a nice bass, but I like my Cirrus better. He played my Cirrus for the first time last night and said he likes it a lot better than the Modulus. That is the only Modulus I have ever played so take it for what its worth :)
  10. Aaron J

Aaron J

Jul 16, 2003
    Cincinnati, OH
    One thing you may want to consider is if the Modulus bass has a truss rod; the older models don't. I know graphite usually does not warp, but I generally like being able to adjust the relief so I do not buzz up and down the neck if I try a light gauge of strings. I am just speculating, though, considering I never have owned a bass without a trussrod.
  11. I absolutely love my Cirrus. I can get every tone that I want out of it. If the graphite is what you are goin' for, the Cirrus has a wood neck with 2 graphite rods in it for stability. So that solves the issue of stability with the graphite, if that was a concern of yours. I've played a couple of Modulus' and I noticed that they had a very distinct sound, but I thought they also lacked in the low end dept. My Cirrus has a warmer tone than the Mod because of the wood neck. The Modulus seems to have more of a harsh tone. If you're gonna get the Mod ayway, try to get it with the Barts. The Barts will help to chill out the harshness of the graphite. My Cirrus has a super amazing slap and fingerstyle tone to boot. You can't go wrong with a Cirrus. Plus, the Cirrus seems to be a lighter bass too.(Easy on the shoulders) You can :bassist: all night long with no strain on your shoulders or back. :hyper:
  12. I say get the Modulus.....

So what did you do ?
  13. If you still haven't picked one, I would reccomend checking out the modulus genesis basses. They sound basically like the quantum basses w/ wooden fretboard (which I've noticed are hard to find on ebay.) I know Phil Lesh plays a Q6 (I'm "assuming" it has some kind of wooden fretboard as it sounds very different from all other quantum basses I've heard.), but my G5 sounds very similar. The highs are really nice and good at cutting through, and the lower notes bring out the nice woody sound, which makes me want to play reggae type stuff for some reason.
    But in my opinion the genesis series gives you the best of both worlds. I know a lot of bassists dislike modulus basses, and I think that's because they've only heard/played ones w/ the composite fretboards.
  14. Matt R Miller

Matt R Miller

Apr 27, 2003
    the modulus i was watching ended up going for $1626, so I let it go. I think I'm going to go with a Cirrus. There's a nice bubinga 5 on ebay right now.
  15. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    I had a used Modulus with a warped neck. And no one would sell me a replacement. Pricey firewood.

I loved my Cirrus, and I hae played a couple of Qs that I liked, but I prefer the slimmer neck on the cirrus.
  16. Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    There's also a nice one in the classifieds of THIS site for a steal ($750 I think). Grab it now!!!
  17. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Just checked it out, looks like a winner.
  18. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    If funds are limited, get the Cirrus. I have owned both (still own a Q5). Personally, I prefer the Q5, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with a Cirrus 5. IMHO, they can hold their own with basses that cost a lot more.
  19. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I absolutely prefer Modulus, but as Ryan said if the Cirrus is your thing it's a heckuva bargain.